Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 12:13 PM

5 posts, read 30,314 times

Advertisements

Hi Annie, I hope you had good results at the Vet for Boomer. I know what you mean about its all you can think about not being able to concentrate on anything I’ve been that way for a few months now. It constantly pops up in my mind and I keep looking for the miracle cure. I hope that Boomer only has an infection which is defiantly a possibility. If Boomer has not had a runny nose it could be something simple for the Vet to fix and reverse sneezing doesn’t always suggest cancer. I will add him to my prayer list.

My dog Rock is currently on piroxicam which is an nsaid to help with inflammation and some possible anticancer effects. I also give him a half of mucinex twice a day to help keep the mucus thin and maybe avoid more infections. I am constantly pulling snot out of his nose to help him breath better. When I start to see yellow snot I put him on antibiotics – doxycycline seems to work well and also has anti-inflammatory properties

It’s hard to have a sick puppy you love- for those of us that make are dogs a member of the family- and most people I know don’t understand the grief we feel for their loss. I know Rocks days are numbered and I just want him to be comfortable until the time comes and as of now he still has a quality of life. I never in a million years expected him to get cancer. I had been lucky with my last two dogs. They both lived to over 15 yrs. Now Rock who has been the best dog I have had and only 9 and half yrs. Old gets cancer in his nose.

Let me know how things go and hang in there………John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,567 times
My sweet Taly was diagnosed with nasal cancer and a brain tumor in March- in reality the symptoms started last August but it was misdiagnosed. She is 14 and I knew I would not do radiation. We have had great luck with doxycycline as an anti-inflammatory and keppra to control seizures. Last week the nose bleeding started. It's so hard to watch someone you love so much battle this horrible disease. This forum has been so helpful in helping me make decisions and hear how others have progressed. They are all unique...and so loved.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,293 times
Hi, I just ran across your post. I am curious how all turned out, timing and quality, as well as the effect of the treatment.
My girl Lu is 12 and was just diagnosed with nasal cancer and I am awaiting the results of the biopsy (should be in today). She is too old to be put through aggressive radiation, and I don't want to extend her life only to feel horrible longer. I am heartbroken. They gave me Peroxicam to help alleviate the inflammation and make her more comfortable, but after 5 days - I don't think I see a difference. Any insight would be great. Thank you; I do hope you have been comfortable with all that transpired with your fur-babies...

Old 07-25-2014, 07:11 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
I was hoping someone that has dealt with this more recently would reply as it has been almost 5 years since I lost Dash to nasal cancer and I know how fast new treatments can come up. His was found early long before it ate into any bone nor had it spread any place else. I did opt to do palliative radiation and because the vet was able to do it with IMRT he really had no side effects except it did cause dry eye on the side of the cancer and his black fur in the area that was involved turned white months later. ( It takes longer to see side effects with slower growing cells such as hair cells). There is the risk the anesthesia can cause issues but Dash had no problems. I did run into frequent nasal infections after the IMRT as we had 3 bad wildfires in the area one right after the other. One we actually were evacuated from our home. The smoke in the air would irritate his nose and he would end up with what appeared to be an infection. He also did Peroxicam as it was started prior to the IMRT and we kept it on him after wards for the antiangogenesis properties of the drug and a couple months later added low dose cytoxin as part of the treatment. The cytoxin was very low dose, inexpensive as I got it at Costco and was a pill and Dash tolerated it fine. The oncologist could have added even a 3rd drug but we did not. And yes I would be willing to try either again as Dash had no problems with them.

The only thing I tried that I would not do again was the neoplasene. I would be willing to try it on a tumor on a limb or a mast cell type tumor on the outside where the dead tumor could fall off but not in an enclosed area like the nose.

I opted to do the IMRT as palliative to make him more comfortable as he was having a hard time breathing at night at times so I figured if we could shrink the tumor he would be more comfortable and perhaps we coud buy him some time . He was 11 when we found it. It was expensive but I have never put a price on care for my dogs. Dash was the first IMRT for nasal cancer for his oncologist so I also like to think what he learned from Dash's case could one day help some other dog beat this cancer.

There is also nothing wrong about doing nothing and using some pain meds to make sure the dog is comfortable until you feel it is time to say good bye. My other dog developed a tumor in a salivary gland and at 14.5 yrs I could not expect her to endure the surgery that would be involved despite the fact she was otherwise in excellent health and 6 months earlier the vet said he would guess her to be about 6 or 7 had he not known her since she was a puppy. It is always a hard call but when dealing with such deadly cancer there really is no wrong time to say goodbye. I know some people tend to feel guilty and for some reason think the dog will hate them for putting them down . I see it more as an act of love. I am sorry that you are dealing with this cancer and hope someday there is some easy fix for cancer.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 7,746 times
I recently put my 6 year old dog down, she had nasal cancer and was gone within 3 months. I can't stop thinking it's my fault, that it was something I gave her or something that she was exposed to. I just don't understand why it happened so young.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:22 PM

Thank you Dashdog, I appreciate your advice and sharing your story. Lu's saga continues - at least a bit more positively. The biopsy came back inconclusive, and so they decided to do some tissue staining. This was also inconclusive. We were able to rule out Carcinoma and Hemagiosarcoma, and are likely left with a slower growing sarcoma (though the term benign mass has been thrown around as well - they are less optimistic of this based on the CT results and the clinical signs she is presenting). The said that the tumor borders are clean, and not irregular (which is good), but nasal structure destruction can be seen on the films. I will be making an appointment with an Oncologist, because the Peroxicam alone is likely not the best way to go - since the carcinoma was ruled out. Not sure what kind of meds they will suggest, but that is likely the next step. It frightens me that she may still have the potential to have a benign mass and we are discussing some fairly strong medication, though the vet has cautioned me to not get hung up on the word "Chemotherapy". Apparently she noted that even Prednisone is considered a chemotherapy, and that its different for dogs than people. I won't be doing radiation, but hopefully "slow growing" means just that. I will update again after the Oncology visit.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:25 PM

Natrochelaeau86 --so sorry for your loss. It was nothing about you. Bad things just sometimes happen to good (and young) dogs.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:21 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrocheleau86 View Post
I recently put my 6 year old dog down, she had nasal cancer and was gone within 3 months. I can't stop thinking it's my fault, that it was something I gave her or something that she was exposed to. I just don't understand why it happened so young.

Same thing happened to our 6 year old border collie. Accept he lasted 2 weeks after we found out. I keep thinking it was my fault too. Like maybe it was something we fed him or something in the yard, even though everyone keeps telling me we couldn't have caused it.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,358 times
My sweet four year old male Westie was diagnosed with nasal chrondosarcoma on July 1st. I feel so guilty like everyone else. I had him to the vet three times for antibiotics, steroids, antihistamines etc... In June he had a nosebleed and we went to the specialty clinic here in Houston, TX. My vet told me he has never seen such a young dog with chrondosarcoma. He never even thought it could be cancer. Herschel is still eating well and going for walks everyday, but yesterday he had another nosebleed and so today I'm just keeping him calm. He has a terrible time sleeping at night, but during the day his naps aren't too bad. I am so afraid to lose him. We have decided to not put him through any surgery or radiation. We have him on Peroxicam, and clindamycin and Zyrtec daily for now. What a horrible insidious disease this is. I have his sister(litter mate) also and I am so scared how she'll take losing him. They are together all the time.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:28 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
It makes me sad to see so many young dogs developing this Dash was 11 and even then it was difficult so I can only imagine how it must be when the dog is still young.Sadly cancers do not seem to care about age I can only pray that someday we will understand cancer better and be able to stop it and or prevent it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs