Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,867,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenoqueen View Post
Now I'm worried about what to do with the cars. If we leave them in the garage and lose power, we won't be able to go anywhere. If we park them in the driveway, will they be washed away with the storm??? This is all to stressful. What is everyone else doing?
Does it have a manual override? It should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:24 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,795,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenoqueen View Post
Now I'm worried about what to do with the cars. If we leave them in the garage and lose power, we won't be able to go anywhere. If we park them in the driveway, will they be washed away with the storm??? This is all to stressful. What is everyone else doing?
I would think if the flooding was high enough to wash your car away in the driveway it would also be high enough to damage your car in the garage as garage's aren't water tight. I'm fortunate to be in northern New Castle county where we actually have a couple of hills, where Delaware, below the canal resides at around sea level which makes storms like this a nightmare, and yes the lack of national coverage for Delaware by the Philly stations drives me nuts, it's like only Jersey exists, sorry for the rant.

The further west you can go the better off you'll be, I just heard we could get 8 to 10 inches of rain which is alot but I'm not sure if its enough to flood Middletown. If you really have concerns about the water level, you should leave because, if the water rises enough to destroy your car it will be in your house. Remember it doesn't matter how many sump pumps you have if the water has no place to go. I worked in Glenville ( a little development outside Stanton/ Newport) during hurricane Floyd and all the houses were condemed because it was built years before on a flood plane and getting the water out was the problem. Houses built on slabs can be dangerous with just a few feet of water because the foundation can shift easily. Again if you think it might be a dangerous situation then you should leave, take pictures of your house get all important paper work and go. I have a friend from work who lives in New Castle, he lives within a 1/4 mile of the Delaware River and his family is going to stay with me over the weekend. Personally I'm not reallly afraid of the rain, its the wind and the trees around my house that concern me, so we got a hotel room on rt 202 just in case.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:29 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,795,481 times
[SIZE=5]EarthCam - Webcam Network[/SIZE]

The webcam in Myrtle beach has sound, pretty crazy.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:16 AM

405 posts, read 676,713 times
@ Stenoqueen:
Pull the rope attached to the top of your garage door to unlock it from the closer track. It wont fall suddenly as it has springs.
Everywhere below the C&D canal is NOT at sea level. The mean elevation of the state is about 60 ft.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:57 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
Irene is downgraded to a Category I. We're less than 10 miles from the Bay (Dover to Kitts Hummock) and all is calm. No evacuations mentioned around here. We're about 40' above sea level.

As always, we're concerned about the 6 gigantic English walnut trees bordering our property, which are WAY over a hundred years old.

Last edited by rdlr; 08-27-2011 at 04:42 AM..

Old 08-27-2011, 06:59 AM

66 posts, read 120,800 times
We're right up the road from you on the other side of the Air Force Base. According to Google Maps it would like me 18 minutes to get to Kitts Hummock. I hope everyone here is well and please stay safe.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:10 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disom View Post
We're right up the road from you on the other side of the Air Force Base. According to Google Maps it would like me 18 minutes to get to Kitts Hummock. I hope everyone here is well and please stay safe.
disom -
Did they move the C-5s to the Mid-Atlantic states, as they usually do for storms?

Old 08-27-2011, 08:34 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,915,019 times
I am worried about my cars as well and wish I had a garage to protect them from flying debris and fallen trees, but I don't have one and have no other safer place to store them other than on my property. We have never been flooded out here, but we had a few inches of water in our driveway about two years ago during a severe December rainstorm. I had to walk to my car without shoes on. However, drainage has improved here since they brought central sewer through and septics/mounds were removed.

I do not have any large trees on my property, but our backyard is enclosed by cypress trees which are all about 25 feet tall. I moved my car away from them but a fallen tree could still hit it. My truck is out front, and I worry that two particular idiot neighbors will not secure their belongings and allow them to fly into my vehicles and/or house windows. My husband actually went right into surrounding yards yesterday and secured neighbors' crap because they are too self-entered and lazy to care about doing it themselves. Sorry for the rant, but this type of attitude really irritates me to no end.

I live about 1/3 mile from the bay and two miles from the ocean, and we are staying. Our home was built well and for that, I am thankful. I just hope this storms weakens before it hits here. The wind has really picked up and it's raining rather hard right now. I'm not sure how much longer we will have power .

Old 08-27-2011, 08:42 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,005,585 times
beachliz, We must be neighbors! Hope they will let us back in tomorrow afternoon/evening. I guess the problem could be the bridges reopening. Indian River......geesh!

Take care! Please post when you are able.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:50 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,915,019 times
Yes! I read a post earlier where you were on Cedar Neck Road. I am actually hoping to buy a house on that road--was looking at Bethany Preserve.

I live on a road off route 26 a little farther west, not too far from Food Lion. We're not within town limits although everybody swears we are....but, we're not.

I'll let you know how everything is holding out around here so long as I have power...thankfully, it takes a lot for us to lose power! But, I think this storm will do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware