Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:09 AM

297 posts, read 743,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Good job on the sump pump. We always got the submergible one, when we had deep basements. With the stand-up ones we had to put bricks in the bottom to try to keep in upright. Back up battery a great idea!

Coastal.....don't know if it's defined, but I think of coastal as being areas east of Rt. 13, closer to the Bay, from Smyrna south. Rt. 6 east of Smyrna (to Woodland Beach) usually floods out, as well as areas around Leipsic, Little Creek, Pickering Beach, Bowers and on down.
Thanks. That helps. I'm a little freaked out by this talk of storm surge. This week has been way too much excitement. Between this, the earthquake, and getting my youngest ready for kindergarten, I'm not sure how much more I can take! I want my drama-free, boring life back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 07:13 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,915,019 times
I'm hoping we do not have to leave, but in the meantime I am searching for hotel with generators. I'm not even sure which ones do or don't have them here given we have never stayed in a hotel in my area. I have been so lucky since moving to Ocean View; even during the snow storms we've had these past couple years, I rarely--if ever--lost power. And--they are right on it if we do lose power. VERY grateful for this!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:32 AM

134 posts, read 254,570 times
Default worried about in-laws

Hi folks, I am from St Augistine FLA but have in-laws living in Bethany Forest which has the bay right in their backyard. I am really concerned for them as they may not know how dangerous this can be for them since this does not happen very often.
My question is how would they know about a mandatory evacuation? Do the police come around or is it a news flash.
I am hearing from some Professional Met. sources that if it maintains this track The Ocean City and Delaware shoreline could get hammered

Thanks for any help

Old 08-25-2011, 07:32 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
We haven't lost power much in recent years, and only for a couple hours, if that. My plan is to get in the car and ride a mile down the road to visit out Amish friends (who have no electric). They just keep cooking, smiling and playing checkers!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNY View Post
Hi folks, I am from St Augistine FLA but have in-laws living in Bethany Forest which has the bay right in their backyard. I am really concerned for them as they may not know how dangerous this can be for them since this does not happen very often.
My question is how would they know about a mandatory evacuation? Do the police come around or is it a news flash.
I am hearing from some Professional Met. sources that if it maintains this track The Ocean City and Delaware shoreline could get hammered

Thanks for any help
Chris - don't worry. Delaware is on top of this storm, and they have been for all the others. This is not unusual at all (I'm not down playing this, though). In my 71 years here, I see storms come and go, nor'easters, hurricanes, and such. Delaware is quite prepared and they get the word out. They have command posts staffed 24/7. Here's a link:
DEMA - Home

Last edited by rdlr; 08-25-2011 at 08:18 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,986,435 times
Seriously our generator that runs off the natural gas line was the best purchase we ever made. The above ground power lines and heavy forestation in our area lead to frequent power outages. The recent tornado-like storm around here caused an outage in our neighborhood that lasted more than 36 hrs. We were the only house in our block that had power. Very much recommend a generator fro SchagrinGas.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:16 AM

990 posts, read 3,188,449 times

Old 08-25-2011, 10:14 AM

297 posts, read 743,639 times
We're definitely in the surge area. Now, is that if the hurricane hits on the current forecasted path, or if it turns and goes up the bay? This is the only thing that has me nervous about this storm... the surge.

Last edited by Bac0s; 08-25-2011 at 11:35 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 12:40 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,428,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
We haven't lost power much in recent years, and only for a couple hours, if that. My plan is to get in the car and ride a mile down the road to visit out Amish friends (who have no electric). They just keep cooking, smiling and playing checkers!

Love your attitude! Your neighbors sound great, too. I hope for the best for everyone down there and will be watching to see how the area comes through this. I am in South Central CT, about 1 mile from Long Island Sound in an area that floods because of a nearby river and wetlands area. I remember Hurricane Gloria, in 1985, I believe, and had no electricity for a week! We don't realize how much we depend on it till we don't have it. Just sort of take it for granted.

Good luck to everyone there!

Eileen in CT

Old 08-25-2011, 02:41 PM

Default Here's the Link Again:

For Updates: DEMA - Home

Thanks, Eileen in CT
Be Safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware