Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:12 PM

9,728 posts, read 14,275,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Sad pictures. I hope they didn't have too much damage inside, but given their proximity to the water, I can only imagine what the inside looks like.
Not good.
Shades of John F. Kennedy......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 01:34 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,048,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Not good. Shades of John F. Kennedy......
I know. Your sentimental memory.

I had a pretty decent dinner there with some friends. I know that PVS had a rough time ... and it was the same evening. (We didn't know it until we met for breakfast a day later.)

Old 08-28-2011, 03:33 PM

388 posts, read 999,101 times
Here in Magnolia we made it through the night with no power outages UNTIL about 12:30 this afternoon! We were without for about 2 and one-half hours. Go figure.......

Old 08-28-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
Here in Magnolia we made it through the night with no power outages UNTIL about 12:30 this afternoon! We were without for about 2 and one-half hours. Go figure.......
We set that up to keep 'ya guessin'
Glad you're all settled in, LEP, and the 'in limbo' phase is history!

Old 08-28-2011, 05:50 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,367,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
I know. Your sentimental memory.

I had a pretty decent dinner there with some friends. I know that PVS had a rough time ... and it was the same evening. (We didn't know it until we met for breakfast a day later.)
That WAS a strange coincidence, eh? Small world, and getting smaller.

Thanks for the photos, rdlr. It IS sad to see it, even if we did have a poor experience that night. We don't wish bad on a place, especially because of one particular individual. FWIW, we tipped her "accordingly" (I'm usually pretty generous, but not if the service is bad).

Old 08-29-2011, 02:56 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,005,155 times
We came back down to Ocean View yesterday from a motel in Newark. Since the IRB was still closed, we came in the back way through Milton/Dagsboro. We saw some trees down....nothing big.....and lots of leaves along the road.

There were fire trucks back this way yesterday afternoon too. I smelled smoke for awhile before they arrived, but I figured it was someone who lost their common sense in the storm and were burning branches. I don't know what really happened though.

We went out for dinner last night, and ended up at the Crab Bag. Not much was open. The place was packed, and folks were really lettin' off some Irene steam!!!

My spousal equivalent had to head back up to the Poconos this morning. Things are not good up there. No power, many large trees down over the main roads, two trees down at the house....not on the house or car thank God, and high water everywhere. The power may be out for days. We got nailed worse in the mountains than we did at the beach!!

rdlr, Those pics of the Lobby House (I still need to say Lobby House so I know what is being talked about) are really somethin'! I heard Silver Lake really filled up as well.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
My spousal equivalent had to head back up to the Poconos this morning. Things are not good up there. No power, many large trees down over the main roads, two trees down at the house....not on the house or car thank God, and high water everywhere. The power may be out for days. We got nailed worse in the mountains than we did at the beach!!

rdlr, Those pics of the Lobby House (I still need to say Lobby House so I know what is being talked about) are really somethin'! I heard Silver Lake really filled up as well.
Isn't that something? The mountain home had more problems than your coastal home! That's something else!

I checked out Silver Lake in Dover during the storm, and it was high tide, but not much more. Silver Lake has a tributary leading to Mirror Lake (Lobby House/Fraziers frontage) and that's one reason there was so much water in those photos.

On my journey today, I went to Wilmington and back, then down to Gumboro. As you said, a few fallen trees, limbs and leaves. We were very lucky!

I keep checking my 100+ year old basement for signs of water coming in, and none at all. We've built 3 new houses and this is the first time we've had a dry basement. I remember with the other houses, sometimes it took a couple of days after a storm for it to seep in. We're crossing our fingers.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:49 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,914,481 times
Glad to hear your home was fine, rockky. I didn't know your other home was in the Poconos; I absolutely love that area. Nature lover's paradise, for sure.

I did find out that my neighbor's shed had major damage done when another neighbor's tree fell on it, but that was pretty much the only major damage around here. I took a bike ride from my house to south Bethany and then through Ocean View today--mainly the Cedar Neck area since we want to move uptown. I didn't find any areas that were flooded other than the usual beachfront homes in south Bethany, which are way out of my price range anyway. There was a substantial amount of water underneath the homes, but that didn't stop people from occupying them.

Many large limbs and trees were down, and I noted two large trees had fallen across the Assawoman Canal. Other than that, all appears well in the Bethany/Ocean View area. Even Bethany Beach's streets were fine (they tend to flood easily).

I took a walk through James Farm (a public park) on the way home and sheesh, just when I thought I'd seen it all! I saw a wild peacock, two peahens, and chicks (both peahens had chicks) roaming around James Farm!! I also saw a large tom turkey there this spring. Even stranger--I saw a coyote in my development yesterday. It looked quite alarming given it was very thin, missing fur, and just rather "rat" looking. It freaked me out, which isn't easy. I suppose the hurricane rustled up the wildlife as well.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,005,155 times
beachliz, Apparently there were several peacocks/peahens which belonged to someone out here on the Neck. I saw them strut by one day. I caught them out the corner of my eye and forgot where I was......I thought they were wild turkeys. We have lots of turkeys in the Poconos. One of the neighbors told me a coyote killed a couple of the peacocks. Yes, we have coyotes down here. I was dubious when I was told about them, but I heard one howling two winters ago. I have no doubt that's what I heard, and it was creepy!

Glad things weren't so bad at your place. Now, hopefully, we can have a lovely autumn with no earthquakes or hurricanes!

Old 08-29-2011, 06:11 PM

Sure thing! I think Irene may have flushed some of this wildlife out because I saw a coyote in our town yesterday, and wild turkeys near Townsend today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware