Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,915,019 times

Advertisements

Good point, rdlr.

jmo2--uggg, sounds like my worst nightmare! My husband has to go to work early Sun. morning. He works in law enforcement and couldn't call out unless he literally could not get to work (we live 23 miles from his job). Even then, they may send somebody out to pick him up. I'll be headed somewhere with a generator if we lose power. My parents have one, but they live down on the eastern shore of Virginia, and where they live is VERY prone to flooding. They live in a flood zone and have flood insurance. So, it depends on if I could even get there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 AM

297 posts, read 743,639 times
Our first winter in Richmond, VA was in 1998... there was a terrible ice storm. I know people who were without power for 3 MONTHS. We were only out for a few hours. We were on the same grid as the nearby hospital so power was up and running quickly.

My only concern right now is our basement. We had it finished, and have been debating getting a generator or a battery back up for the sump pump. Seems we may need to make a decision asap... DH may be installing something on Saturday morning.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:58 PM

I ordered the back-up sump pump and battery for it online this afternoon for store pick-up (and had to do it at two separate stores because none had both available). Good thing I did, because by the time I picked them up, I was told that the entire state is pretty much out of them and generators. A lot of the parts needed to install the pump were nearly out, too. I think I got everything needed... now to just get my husband to install it.

And here's a question, probably dumb, but one I've always wondered -- what part of DE is technically considered coastal when they talk about it on the news? I mean, here where I am in Middletown/Odessa, we're not that far from the bay. Is that part of it, or when they mean coastal do they mean oceanfront?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:11 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,677,633 times
tie down or bring in outside furniture/lawn ornaments that could blow in strong winds.

I dont' think it is expected to be too terrible by the time it reaches DE. But you never know. Hey it could even fizzle and go out to see.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:54 AM

242 posts, read 534,492 times
Supposed to be going down at staying in Ocean City for a week starting Saturday...looks like Irene is going to make it a very, very wet vacation! YUCK!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:02 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bac0s View Post
I ordered the back-up sump pump and battery for it online this afternoon for store pick-up (and had to do it at two separate stores because none had both available). Good thing I did, because by the time I picked them up, I was told that the entire state is pretty much out of them and generators. A lot of the parts needed to install the pump were nearly out, too. I think I got everything needed... now to just get my husband to install it.

And here's a question, probably dumb, but one I've always wondered -- what part of DE is technically considered coastal when they talk about it on the news? I mean, here where I am in Middletown/Odessa, we're not that far from the bay. Is that part of it, or when they mean coastal do they mean oceanfront?
Good job on the sump pump. We always got the submergible one, when we had deep basements. With the stand-up ones we had to put bricks in the bottom to try to keep in upright. Back up battery a great idea!

Coastal.....don't know if it's defined, but I think of coastal as being areas east of Rt. 13, closer to the Bay, from Smyrna south. Rt. 6 east of Smyrna (to Woodland Beach) usually floods out, as well as areas around Leipsic, Little Creek, Pickering Beach, Bowers and on down.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:03 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraig10 View Post
Supposed to be going down at staying in Ocean City for a week starting Saturday...looks like Irene is going to make it a very, very wet vacation! YUCK!
Rats!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraig10 View Post
Oh, no! Hopefully it'll be a vacation with electricity! Are you postponing your departure? I just heard on the news that NJ shore/DE beach officials are discussing evacuations.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:06 AM

242 posts, read 534,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bac0s View Post
Oh, no! Hopefully it'll be a vacation with electricity! Are you postponing your departure? I just heard on the news that NJ shore/DE beach officials are discussing evacuations.

I just read that on Ocean City's website. Looks like we may have to wait a few days

Old 08-25-2011, 07:07 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,102,711 times
Actually, sometimes after a storm passes you get incredibly beautiful weather. Rain soaks into sandy soil very quickly. Saturday and Sunday may be a little soggy but the week as a whole may be nicer than you think--and you may even have fewer crowds to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware