Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:09 PM

700 posts, read 1,820,818 times

Advertisements

Stay safe y'all! We're evacuating my mum in law from Laruel due to the trees on the prop. Don't wait till the last minute! Best to eat crow than ..........
Check in when you can. Myself up here in N Wilm, I'm trimming trees. Nothing like waiting till the last minute. Isabel is still one of my nightmares and it wasn't that bad.
Good luck everyone!
C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 07:21 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,795,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I'm still here....not sure what we are doing. Is anybody on here evacuating?

Right now they are predicting a catergory 2 hurricane for Delaware, if you have alot of trees around your house it might be a good idea to leave, we 5 or 6 big trees around our house (you know how north wilmington is) trees everywhere. I'm sending the wife and kids to a hotel on 202 for saturday night, they might lose power but at least a tree won't crash through the house while they are sleeping. Although we have a basement, I was told by my boss (ball n chain) that unless I kill every spider and cricket that there was no way in he!! she was sleeping down there. lol
I'll be working in the refinery, trying to get the water out and keep the oil in all weekend.

My inlaws whose house is right on the Indian River Bay are staying, hard headed people.

[SIZE=5]National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane [/SIZE]

I'd say calling this the most powerful storm to hit the east coast in possibly a 100 years would be enough to make me leave.

btw, weather channel guys are everywhere, NY, NJ, VA, NC but not one in Delaware?
The lack of respect is disturbing!!

Last edited by James420; 08-25-2011 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: n

Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 PM

297 posts, read 743,639 times
We may be leaving. My husband thinks I'm nuts and I hope he's right. The storm surge stuff has me way too freaked out. If it were not for that, I'd be fine staying. I really hope our house is ok.

Anyway, I may reconsider. Right now this is making me feel better: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/psurgegraphics_at4.shtml?gm (broken link)

Unless things change... it looks ok.

Last edited by Bac0s; 08-25-2011 at 07:48 PM..

Old 08-26-2011, 07:02 AM

4 posts, read 4,912 times
Default Irene

As someone from Ohio who just bought a house near ocean view and can't get down there till mid September any advice? I will keep all of you in my thoughts and hope for the best.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:56 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,882,735 times
james, spider wise I so agree with your wife

stay safe, CD friends of Delaware

Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,353,643 times
I just want to say to all there in Delaware... I hope it is not bad for you, be safe!!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,005,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kghc225 View Post
As someone from Ohio who just bought a house near ocean view and can't get down there till mid September any advice? I will keep all of you in my thoughts and hope for the best.
kghc225......I'm sitting out on Cedar Neck in Ocean View right now. Came in last night from NE Pennsylvania to try to get things taken care of here. We are hearing all sorts of things........total evacuation.......the Rt. 50 Bay Bridge is to close at 5 p.m. tonight......I can't verify any of it right now.

The governor is supposed to make a statement at 11 a.m. today. Guess we'll know more than.

As I understand it, Ocean City, MD was evacuated yesterday. New Jersey's governor made definitive statements yesterday. We don't know where designated evacuation centers are in Sussex Co. yet. They don't call this place "Slower Delaware" fer nothin'!

I don't have any advice other than to stay safe where you are. This one seems to be the real deal. We'll be leaving for somewhere asap. We would have been out of here sooner, but my son was working on the "Extreme Makeover" house they are doing in Lewes. Guess well head to south central PA. We have a Boston Terrier who is like a child to us. That limits where we can land.

To everyone out there....especially here in Sussex......my thoughts and prayers......and don't try to fool (with) Mother Nature.

Looks like a storm coming now.....not related to Irene.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:47 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,102,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
btw, weather channel guys are everywhere, NY, NJ, VA, NC but not one in Delaware?
The lack of respect is disturbing!!
Hopefully it means they don't think there will be much damage or impact in DE.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:55 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
kghc225......I'm sitting out on Cedar Neck in Ocean View right now. Came in last night from NE Pennsylvania to try to get things taken care of here. We are hearing all sorts of things........total evacuation.......the Rt. 50 Bay Bridge is to close at 5 p.m. tonight......I can't verify any of it right now.

The governor is supposed to make a statement at 11 a.m. today. Guess we'll know more than.

As I understand it, Ocean City, MD was evacuated yesterday. New Jersey's governor made definitive statements yesterday. We don't know where designated evacuation centers are in Sussex Co. yet. They don't call this place "Slower Delaware" fer nothin'!

I don't have any advice other than to stay safe where you are. This one seems to be the real deal. We'll be leaving for somewhere asap. We would have been out of here sooner, but my son was working on the "Extreme Makeover" house they are doing in Lewes. Guess well head to south central PA. We have a Boston Terrier who is like a child to us. That limits where we can land.

To everyone out there....especially here in Sussex......my thoughts and prayers......and don't try to fool (with) Mother Nature.

Looks like a storm coming now.....not related to Irene.
Hi Rockky!
List of shelters will be made public this evening.
Click the links in the DEMA link I posted earlier in this thread.
Stay safe!

Old 08-26-2011, 11:06 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,005,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Hi Rockky!
List of shelters will be made public this evening.
Click the links in the DEMA link I posted earlier in this thread.
Stay safe!
Hi, rdlr! I see they just updated the DEMA site. I'm sure you know the area just beyond Gerald's on Central Avenue extended.....out toward Quillan's Point. We must be in the 'get out and get out now' range. Bay to west, it wraps with wetlands to the east, and the Atlantic about 3/4 of a mile as the crow flies.

My son seems to think going inland.....to him that means Frankford.....will be safe enough. Our "discussion" continues here. Moms sure can be a royal pain in the lower cheeks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware