Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 02:01 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Well the millennials have no intention to stop partying.

That's the Z generation you're talking about.

Millennials are mostly in their mid-30s now. They've got jobs and families and school loan debts.

There was one a bit ago that was even running for president.

Old 03-24-2020, 03:20 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Well the millennials have no intention to stop partying. I feel Trump is trying to create a false impression just to keep panic down in the US. It will get allot worse before it gets better. US will be one of the most impacted country by this pandemic with allot more deaths. If weather has a role to play than some states will be better than others.

I was at the Kroger nearby. I went in with gloves, mask and eye wear looking crazy but only if everyone else felt the same as me. People inside were shopping like everything was normal. As for the supermarket inventory, organic milk had run out, no bread either, limited option on ice cream. There was tons of regular milk though.
I don’t disagree with most of what you wrote but remember that millennials range from 23-38/39 right now. The older 3/4 of their generation is more likely to be working from home while homeschooling children right now than out partying. My youngest sibling is an older millennial. They are both WFH full-time while trying to home school a 7 year old and 4 year old right now.

I think we can stop generation blaming because there are plenty of seniors not taking it seriously too by the amount of grand/parent-shaming on my Facebook feed right now. Probably 1/3 of the population - regardless of age- falls on the range of “it won’t happen to me” or “when it’s my time to go, it’s my time” and DGAF about all these restrictions.

Old 03-24-2020, 03:42 PM

409 posts, read 873,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
Who in their right mind thinks it's a great time to travel in the midst of a global pandemic???
<chuckle><snort> Last week a co-worker of mine attempted to go on a cruise. When I literally LOL in his face, via the phone, he said yes he was nervous about it , but he and his wife as planning this trip all last year. Lucky for him, the cruise line had the sense to cancel it.

Old 03-24-2020, 03:49 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Well the millennials have no intention to stop partying. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Millennials are mostly in their mid-30s now. They've got jobs and families and school loan debts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I don’t disagree with most of what you wrote but remember that millennials range from 23-38/39 right now. The older 3/4 of their generation is more likely to be working from home while homeschooling children right now than out partying. My youngest sibling is an older millennial. They are both WFH full-time while trying to home school a 7 year old and 4 year old right now.
Depending upon which entity is defining Millennials, their birth years range from 1981/1982 to 1996. Yes, this would make Millennials 23-38/39.

The Millennials that were born from 1982-1988 have taken double beatings in a lot of cases. The older half of the generation was graduating from school around the time of the Great Recession/recessionary times in the late 2000s/early 2010s and had a lot of difficulty launching their careers. This is when the cliche of the college educated Starbucks barista really took hold. There was basis in reality for that stereotype, as older Millennials had a lot of underemployment and unemployment. Now, many older Millennials in their 30s are suffering now with stock market losses and/or job losses due to Coronavirus.

Let's also dispel the notion that Millennials are raising families en masse. While many Millennials have started families, Millennials in their early to mid 30s now are less likely to be the parents of dependent children than Baby Boomers in their early to mid 30s during the 1980s. Millennials have taken longer to form longer term relationships. Millennials are still getting married, but the more common occurrence is that married for the first time in their 30s now as compared to Baby Boomers getting married in their early 20s in the 1970s or Gen X getting married in their late 20s circa 2000. Millennials are more educated than previous generations. Typically speaking, increasing levels of education, particularly among females, leads to a lower female fertility rate. It's not that difficult to find both Millennial males and females between 32-36 right now that have never been married and have no children, even in Dallas. There's also a disparity between Dallas residents and suburban residents. The Dallas suburbs tend to attract residents with children or those planning to have children soon, whereas someone who lives in the city of Dallas south of 635 isn't going to imminently start having kids.

Millennials are the saddest generation in the recent history of the United States, as their youths have been marred by 2 of the worst economic downturns in the last 130 years. It can be argued that Millennials are a lost generation.

The older members of Gen Z might start to complain about graduating into this recession or getting laid off on a last in, first out basis. Gen Z is truly fortunate to have still been children during the worst of the Great Recession.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:42 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Depending upon which entity is defining Millennials, their birth years range from 1981/1982 to 1996. Yes, this would make Millennials 23-38/39.

The Millennials that were born from 1982-1988 have taken double beatings in a lot of cases. The older half of the generation was graduating from school around the time of the Great Recession/recessionary times in the late 2000s/early 2010s and had a lot of difficulty launching their careers. This is when the cliche of the college educated Starbucks barista really took hold. There was basis in reality for that stereotype, as older Millennials had a lot of underemployment and unemployment. Now, many older Millennials in their 30s are suffering now with stock market losses and/or job losses due to Coronavirus.

Let's also dispel the notion that Millennials are raising families en masse. While many Millennials have started families, Millennials in their early to mid 30s now are less likely to be the parents of dependent children than Baby Boomers in their early to mid 30s during the 1980s. Millennials have taken longer to form longer term relationships. Millennials are still getting married, but the more common occurrence is that married for the first time in their 30s now as compared to Baby Boomers getting married in their early 20s in the 1970s or Gen X getting married in their late 20s circa 2000. Millennials are more educated than previous generations. Typically speaking, increasing levels of education, particularly among females, leads to a lower female fertility rate. It's not that difficult to find both Millennial males and females between 32-36 right now that have never been married and have no children, even in Dallas. There's also a disparity between Dallas residents and suburban residents. The Dallas suburbs tend to attract residents with children or those planning to have children soon, whereas someone who lives in the city of Dallas south of 635 isn't going to imminently start having kids.

Millennials are the saddest generation in the recent history of the United States, as their youths have been marred by 2 of the worst economic downturns in the last 130 years. It can be argued that Millennials are a lost generation.

The older members of Gen Z might start to complain about graduating into this recession or getting laid off on a last in, first out basis. Gen Z is truly fortunate to have still been children during the worst of the Great Recession.

Testify!!

I was born in '86 and have been married for a couple of years. No kids yet because we want to improve our financial position a bit more. There is definitely a 3-way split from what I've seen among my peers.

Group 1 = had kids pretty early with some already in high school. I'm 34 and know quite that have teens between ages 13 and 15. These folks got married early, some divorced but others have stayed together.

Group 2 = this group has mostly started having kids within the last 5 to 7 years. They almost uniformly came from well-to-do (upper middle class) families, went to UT/A&M etc., likely received a little financial boost from family to buy homes and then landed in solid careers.

Group 3 = my group. We did well in school, graduated from college and have great careers. We grew up working class (at best) and we're more likely to have to loan family money versus having people send us fat checks for housing payments or paying off any student loans. That makes us a bit more hesitant to start families, buy homes etc

Old 03-24-2020, 04:51 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's the Z generation you're talking about.

There was one a bit ago that was even running for president.

Yeah, we are much older than people realize. I feel bad for Gen Z only because my fellow Millenials cast a long shadow.

I always think of Gen Z as mostly being the children of Gen X while Millenials tend to have Baby Boomer and sometimes Silent Generation parents (older Millenials with older parents). In sports terms, Millenials are athletes nearing the end of their careers....like a LeBron James, Roger Federer etc. Gen Z would be Luka Doncic.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:18 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Testify!!

I was born in '86 and have been married for a couple of years. No kids yet because we want to improve our financial position a bit more. There is definitely a 3-way split from what I've seen among my peers.

Group 1 = had kids pretty early with some already in high school. I'm 34 and know quite that have teens between ages 13 and 15. These folks got married early, some divorced but others have stayed together.

Group 2 = this group has mostly started having kids within the last 5 to 7 years. They almost uniformly came from well-to-do (upper middle class) families, went to UT/A&M etc., likely received a little financial boost from family to buy homes and then landed in solid careers.

Group 3 = my group. We did well in school, graduated from college and have great careers. We grew up working class (at best) and we're more likely to have to loan family money versus having people send us fat checks for housing payments or paying off any student loans. That makes us a bit more hesitant to start families, buy homes etc
Your grouping framework for Millennials is a good start.

I know of some people in Group 1, mostly former co-workers who I probably would have never met in a social context. If I had to guess about the economic prospects of most of Group 1, I would say that they are middling in a lot of cases. I would say that a lot of Group 1 never finished college. They mostly have high school diplomas/GEDs/or Associate Degrees. The ones with high school diplomas or GEDs usually had kids before 25. The ones with Associate Degrees probably had kids in their mid to late 20s.

I know some Group 2 people, mostly at the fringes of my social circle. If these people live in DFW, they are people I see once or twice a year because they know one of my closer Millennial friends (I have some Gen X friends as well). Some people I knew in undergrad but now only peruse their social media pages when I'm having moments of nostalgia would fall into this category.

There's probably a Group 2.5 of upper middle class or higher background Millennials who have recently married or are in longer term non-marital relationships that are on the suburbs and babies path but haven't made it there yet. I have some close friends there. This is a group that would typically be 28-34 right now if I thought about it on a broader scale beyond my social sphere.

I have a good friend in Group 3. That seems valid to me.

There are more groups that I see.

Group 4 = My group. This group is Millennials in their late 20s and beyond right now, who have never been married and have no kids. Their romantic relationships tend to be transient, typically lasting less than 2-3 years. This cohort can mostly be found in the neighborhoods south of 635.

Group 5 = Really a catch all group of those who don't have kids. They could be younger Millennials born in the 1992-1996 range who don't fit elsewhere yet, but if educated are likely headed for Groups 2-4. If older, they have often been drifting through life aimlessly. Most of this group has also had transient relationships for a variety of reasons.

If Coronavirus produces high unemployment nationally and in DFW, I could see it having impact across Millennial groups identified. I wanted to make an argument for a few identified groups here but as I thought more about it, I could see impacts in every group. Groups 1 and 5 have a lot of service sector workers. Group 3 may have some skilled workers without Bachelor's degrees but were some of the more ambitious trade school graduates. I can see a childless dental hygienist or auto/aircraft mechanic as being part of Group 3.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:34 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
March 22, Collin County reports 31 confirmed positive cases, 75 people under monitoring.
March 24, Collin County reports 45 confirmed positive cases, 90 people under monitoring.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:19 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, they are ending the quarantine soon so most likely the draconian measures worked.

Korea also almost has it under control. However they've done it via very well organized expansive testing program.
I would hold off on breaking out the dumplings and wonton soup just yet.
Interesting article on China’s “victory” over the virus

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3...ood-to-be-true

Old 03-24-2020, 07:40 PM

8,157 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I would hold off on breaking out the dumplings and wonton soup just yet.
Interesting article on China’s “victory” over the virus

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3...ood-to-be-true
Look, I don't have a horse in this. Maybe they handled it (and that's what I wish to any country), maybe not quite. We don't have enough information in this case. Let's see what happens.

As I said what we do know, is that Korea has it almost under control, and we are nowhere near.
I guess the difference there is they were smart about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas