Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 05:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Wearing gloves and a mask sounds great if you can find them. I can't.
If you ever buy boxes of hair color, they include a pair of plastic gloves. Not sure how effective they are, though.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:48 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Wearing gloves and a mask sounds great if you can find them. I can't.
I had gloves from before the COVID crisis started. I did not have a mask. I would have used a mask if I could have gotten one.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:55 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
These are similar to the gloves I have. I would advise someone to go ahead and buy a package, even though they won't be delivered for about a month, as this will certainly be ongoing for longer than that.

https://www.amazon.com/AMMEX-APFN441...1&rps=1&sr=8-1

Amazon has removed all their N95/N99 and R95/R99 masks now, so I would advise making a makeshift mask out of an old shirt or something if you have nothing else.

In the meantime, you can also purchase a UV wand to sterilize some things (it doesn't work for your hands or body, but for things like shoes, cell phone, etc, that can't be washed.)

Old 03-23-2020, 06:31 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
No joke, I happened to find an N95 in my laundry cabinet yesterday while doing some painting. I have no clue when I bought it, but it must have been at least two years ago. I also found a P95 (even better) still in the packaging in my garage. I never knew I was such a mask hoarder.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:05 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
These are similar to the gloves I have. I would advise someone to go ahead and buy a package, even though they won't be delivered for about a month, as this will certainly be ongoing for longer than that.

https://www.amazon.com/AMMEX-APFN441...1&rps=1&sr=8-1

Amazon has removed all their N95/N99 and R95/R99 masks now, so I would advise making a makeshift mask out of an old shirt or something if you have nothing else.

In the meantime, you can also purchase a UV wand to sterilize some things (it doesn't work for your hands or body, but for things like shoes, cell phone, etc, that can't be washed.)
Thanks for the glove suggestions but they're currently not in stock and unknown when they'll be available. My imperfect solution is to try to go the store as little as possible when they aren't crowded. I've also stocked up what will hopefully last for 2-3 weeks. My 13-year-old son is eating like a teenager though now that hes as tall as me (5' 7") so we'll see.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:09 AM

227 posts, read 223,275 times
so we are still going through Corona virus and looks like a new virus ... Hantavirus has come up in China

https://www.firstpost.com/health/man...s-8184521.html

Old 03-24-2020, 08:14 AM

45 posts, read 32,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I made a run to the grocery store today. I wore a mask and gloves, approximately 10% of people did likewise. About 25% wore gloves, no mask. About another 5-10% had a mask only, and just the surgical type. Everyone else had no protection.

The pasta aisle was decimated. Mac and cheese was literally the only thing on the shelf, and they had just stocked that in the morning. Milk section was ok, they were limiting to 2 per customer, and had decent stock. There was no chicken at all, though there was about 50% remaining of the ground beef, steaks, etc. Toilet paper, paper towels were decimated, but they did still have some. Can't be picky on brands either.

Medicine aisle for cold/flu was wiped out as well. There was absolutely no children's medication left. The cleaning aisle was also sparse, very few choices so you take what you can get.

Fresh foods. No strawberries left, though there was a good selection of bananas, apples, and mangos. No lettuce except processed, packaged lettuce. Deli section was also pretty sparse unless you wanted to pay double for the good stuff, Boar's Head, etc.

Kroger was wiping down carts and had a long line of them for people to take so that was nice. Their employees are not wearing gloves or masks though, I would think they should all be wearing disposable gloves at least. Anyway, just an update on what you might be able to expect if you're making a grocery run.
My local CVS store still have a lot of cold/flu medication.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:25 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanz7887 View Post
so we are still going through Corona virus and looks like a new virus ... Hantavirus has come up in China

https://www.firstpost.com/health/man...s-8184521.html
Very, very different. Let's not cause undue panic over nothing. Hantaviruses are not new and it is extremely rare for them to be passed from person to person.

'[The hantavirus] can cause hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) and haemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome (HFRS).

The disease is not airborne and can only spread to people if they come in contact with urine, feces, and saliva of rodents and less frequently by a bite from an infected host.

HPS can't be passed on from person to person, while HFRS transmission between people is extremely rare'

Last edited by Sunbather; 03-24-2020 at 09:35 AM..

Old 03-24-2020, 10:10 AM

578 posts, read 479,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
HPS can't be passed on from person to person, while HFRS transmission between people is extremely rare'
https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152

Old 03-24-2020, 10:25 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
understand but it's not really that relevant. The user posted sensationalist journalism. Hantavirus has been around and watched for decades. There is nothing to suggest this case of this guy dying is any different than any other death from hantavirus that happens. This would likely be a non-story here if COVID-19 wasn't a current pandemic.

It's a direct exposure virus that has very little to no history of person to person exposure and is also not airborne. There is nothing in this death that suggests anything otherwise.

Unless youre eating rat feces or bathing in their urine or live in a rodent infested basement, you are extremely unlikely to ever come into contact with hantavirus. They have rarely ever (and mostly never, depending on the strain) been shown to evolve to transfer from person to person. Coronaviruses have an extensive history of that. Very, very different.

Last edited by Sunbather; 03-24-2020 at 10:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas