Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 12:24 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Except only a tiny percentage of people in Texas have been tested.
True, but we dont need a large percentage to learn things from the results.

Texas has given 314,790 tests and of those 27,054 tested positive. That means, of those who have taken the test in Texas, 9% have tested positive.

By contrast New York has tested 872,481 people and 299,691 have come back positive. That means, of those who have taken the test, 34% came back positive. In Michigan, 24% of tests came back positive.

California has done some of the best testing of states not hit that hard. Only 8% of test given came back positive. Utah has the highest per capita testing rate outside NY. Only 4% of people tested positive of tests given there.

Its sort of an excuse when people start talking about Texas not having tested enough to know anything. We can clearly infer from the data we have that people in Texas who test are far less likely to have the virus.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:34 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
Thank you for sharing that! If we are solely going off of this metric, it seems like Texas is fine to start re-opening?

The flaw here is that this website tracks Texas as a whole. I'm sure most of rural texas is doing great and, if so, I support the decision to re-open, but the major cities could be an entirely different situation.
There was a major change in their estimates several days ago, with values going down across the board, I'm not sure what they did.

There is also this site:

https://epiforecasts.io/covid/posts/...united-states/

Old 04-30-2020, 01:07 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,854 times
Gov Abbott did not approve the guidelines sent to him by the TX State Board of Dental Examiners. They met yesterday, sent him the guidelines, and upon hearing he did not approve them, they scheduled another meeting which was supposed to be today. The meeting has since been canceled, not sure why but I bet we will know more later today. Should be a story on NBC5 DFW at 4 or 5 this evening.

Also, do you feel comfortable knowing that hygiene students that graduated this year will not be required to take a clinical board exam because I'm not. I'm not trying to make things hard on these students but if you value your license you will accept that we have to keep standards high. They should be able to complete all other testing and do their clinical boards later. We can't work right now anyway.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:20 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I have mild claustrophobia and find wearing a mask to be quite uncomfortable. I am also at greater risk because of asthma. My solution is to get curbside pickup and delivery as much as possible (just placed an Instacart grocery order and did curbside at Target today) and wear my mask properly when I have to go out in public such as when I got my allergy shot today. I don't consider skipping the mask to be an option.

That being said, wearing a mask doesn't really help if you don't wear it properly. I've seen way too many people wearing a mask with their nose sticking out and at the shot clinic, one woman's homemade mask was way too loose around the bridge of her nose to the point where she might as well have not been wearing it over her nose.
claustrophobia vs contracting Covid and spreading it to the others. For once, lets put our wants and likes aside for the sake of humanity. I mean do I need to state the obvious?

Old 04-30-2020, 01:46 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,949 times
You cannot base your decision to leave or not on the statewide data, it is appropriate to look at the data for each county and see if the curve is indeed going down.

So, can we have this data?

Old 04-30-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
You cannot base your decision to leave or not on the statewide data, it is appropriate to look at the data for each county and see if the curve is indeed going down.

So, can we have this data?
Of course:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...rus-cases.html

Old 04-30-2020, 01:52 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Great, it seems Dallas County is doing OK, right?

Old 04-30-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Thank you for sharing that! If we are solely going off of this metric, it seems like Texas is fine to start re-opening?

The flaw here is that this website tracks Texas as a whole. I'm sure most of rural texas is doing great and, if so, I support the decision to re-open, but the major cities could be an entirely different situation.
The last statement isnt really true. Many parts of rural Texas have much higher transmission rates. This is especially true in places where animal processing plants exist.

The top 16 counties in Texas (for transmission rate) all have under 100k residents. In the top 20, only Lubbock, Potter, and Galveston counties are in any way sizable.

The area of Texas with the lowest rate is the Rio Grande Valley and the areas near the border. The areas with the highest are the Texas Panhandle and East Texas. DFW, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio are all in the middle of the pack.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...rus-cases.html

Old 04-30-2020, 02:04 PM

577 posts, read 457,558 times
I stand corrected, then.

I wasn't basing my assumption on anything other than my limited time spent and understanding of rural Texas. I haven't been following their numbers at all, so it appears I was definitely way off base there.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:24 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
I stand corrected, then.

I wasn't basing my assumption on anything other than my limited time spent and understanding of rural Texas. I haven't been following their numbers at all, so it appears I was definitely way off base there.
Texas has more cattle than any other state with 12.5 million. Nebraska is a distant 2nd with 6.8 million. Source: https://www.beef2live.com/story-top-...attle-0-110713

Texas is one of the highest risk states for outbreaks in meat processors, due to the highest beef production. Here's a story on our meat processors with the Coronavirus outbreaks: https://www.dallasnews.com./news/pub...essing-plants/

Other states are having issues with migrant workers picking crops. They work closely together and usually carpool. When they are sick, they keep working. For crops that can be harvested by machine, those counties should be fine to reopen. Work life is very socially isolated compared to a manufacturing plant or meat processor(Tyson).

The big cities aren't too bad either. Public transit in the urban centers is nothing like the trains in London, NYC, or Paris. The terminals pack millions of people in them every day. You don't see the same speed of infection in other cities without large subway terminals and rail stations.

Last edited by move4ward; 04-30-2020 at 03:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas