Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2020, 11:00 AM

577 posts, read 457,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I think this part is so important.

Regardless of one's personal opinion about how the COVID situation should be handled, I think we can all agree that more testing is needed......especially in most southern states.

Too many are chomping at the bit to celebrate and re-open everything without actually knowing what we're dealing with. It's entirely possible that they are correct; the problem is under control.......or it's just the tip of the iceberg.

A friend of mine said that Gov. Abbott and Dan Patrick should go volunteer at a restaurant or movie theater working full shifts for a few weeks. Putting your money where your mouth is, so to speak. It would be a great way to lead by example. Don't tell me everything is OK....you go out there and show me first.
Isn't it obvious that things aren't okay though and that we are just as at risk as we were a month ago?

Nobody is safe until there is a vaccine. The only thing we can do in the meantime is try and make sure not to overrun hospitals, which it seems like we have been able to do in the short term.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:02 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
Isn't it obvious that things aren't okay though and that we are just as at risk as we were a month ago?

Nobody is safe until there is a vaccine. The only thing we can do in the meantime is try and make sure not to overrun hospitals, which it seems like we have been able to do in the short term.
The curve is a lot flatter compared to a month ago at least.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:24 AM

352 posts, read 778,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You could argue that is because most of us were shelter in place. You cant really have a true spike until everything is as Business as usual and then cases fall.

So as to your point we are on flatter curve based on shelter in place

Old 04-29-2020, 11:48 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
A very popular and much loved restaurant and coffee shop (Zenzero) in Coppell announced it would close permanently today. The owner stated there were a number of factors, but COVID was the tipping point and she said they just couldn't recover from it. She put her heart and soul into this place and it showed. This sucks.
I'm very sorry she is closing.

Last edited by elan; 04-29-2020 at 12:11 PM..

Old 04-29-2020, 11:55 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

There is a meme about that:

I was falling really fast when I first leaped out of the plane.

But I opened my parachute, and now I'm falling much slower.

I guess I can get rid of the parachute now.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

So that meme is suggesting we lock down the country until the virus is gone? Are there any countries actually doing this?

I think New Zealand, Taiwan, and Australia are trying, but who knows how that will work out for them.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:40 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
Costco updated their webpage with a new face mask requirement, effective May 4th.
https://www.costco.com/covid-updates.html
Quote:
Face Mask Requirements
To protect our members and employees, effective May 4, all Costco members and guests must wear a mask or face covering that covers the mouth and nose at all times while at Costco. This requirement does not apply to children under the age of 2 or to individuals who are unable to wear a mask or face covering due to a medical condition.

The use of a mask or face covering should not be seen as a substitute for social distancing. Please continue to observe rules regarding appropriate distancing while on Costco premises. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:58 PM

8,158 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
So that meme is suggesting we lock down the country until the virus is gone? Are there any countries actually doing this?

I think New Zealand, Taiwan, and Australia are trying, but who knows how that will work out for them.
New Zealand has essentially defeated it. And in a very quick time frame.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:00 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
You could argue that is because most of us were shelter in place. You cant really have a true spike until everything is as Business as usual and then cases fall.

So as to your point we are on flatter curve based on shelter in place
That is a huge part of it, I highly doubt thats the only reason though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Its way more complex than that. Its not a good analogy because you dont have to choose between keeping the parachute closed and not being able to pay your bills. Weve got to do something at some point. Ive heard it said "we dont make the timeline, the virus does", thats true, but that saying doesnt amount to a hill of beans because when people have to pay their bills, they have to pay their bills. If you have to choose between getting the virus and economically surviving vs. staying home and potentially having no money to pay your bills, its a complex decision and will vary from person to person. For this reason, we do have to figure out some sort of timeline collectively, virus or no virus.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
New Zealand has essentially defeated it. And in a very quick time frame.
Why aren't they trying to defeat it entirely, and what is their plan for the next year?

I'm already hearing they are considering eventually opening up borders with Australia in a few months time. Do they plan to completely eliminate the virus in both countries by then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas