Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 01:02 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,369,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
Wonder it is possible to plant live oaks in Connecticut
I don't know about way up north near the mass line - but you can grow live oaks in southern Connecticut. I have one growing along the west side of my house, as well as many other broadleaf evergreens. Coastal and far southern Connecticut is zone 7, so alot of things that grow in even southern Virginia or North Carolina will make the winter here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 01:38 PM

11,306 posts, read 18,906,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I don't know about way up north near the mass line - but you can grow live oaks in southern Connecticut. I have one growing along the west side of my house, as well as many other broadleaf evergreens. Coastal and far southern Connecticut is zone 7, so alot of things that grow in even southern Virginia or North Carolina will make the winter here.
I didn't realize an oak tree needed a warmish climate? Isn't the "Charter Oak" a major symbol of Connecticut?

Old 12-28-2011, 01:56 PM

83,545 posts, read 75,414,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I didn't realize an oak tree needed a warmish climate? Isn't the "Charter Oak" a major symbol of Connecticut?
Dont forget, New zone change we're in Zone 7 now soon to be 10. LOL!!

I got 10 free trees from Arbor Day foundation. 2 of them are oaks.

The trick is to plant them when they are dormant. Dont let the roots dry out. Put them in soil right away and keep moist every 10 days until ground freezes. I think Oaks do well up here. Especially Northern Red Oaks and White Oaks.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:23 PM

633 posts, read 1,645,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I heard that they (evergreen live oak) can grow in zone 6 (read someone experience in zone 6) but leafs may get burn and regrow back in spring

Old 12-28-2011, 03:59 PM

Here's the GFS latest update for Wednesday next week Jan. 4th.

Morning Lows on left. Afternoon highs on right.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Dont forget, New zone change we're in Zone 7 now soon to be 10. LOL!!

I got 10 free trees from Arbor Day foundation. 2 of them are oaks.

The trick is to plant them when they are dormant. Dont let the roots dry out. Put them in soil right away and keep moist every 10 days until ground freezes. I think Oaks do well up here. Especially Northern Red Oaks and White Oaks.
But that's my point, I always thought oak trees were kind of NATIVE to southern New England and the tri-state area (and many other places as well).....the prime example being the Charter Oak in Hartford that's on the CT state quarter (and that was there from the 1600s to 1800s so in a colder climate that today to boot), another example being the Red Oak as the state tree of NJ, but I'm under the impression from this thread that they are not.

In other subjects, NWS is now showing that sometime in the Thursday-Saturday period snow should mix in for some point, so perhaps a completely snowless December for NYC and Bridgeport isn't going to happen after all.......(though I don't believe any sticking is happening at least south of 84)

Old 12-28-2011, 06:24 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,369,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
But that's my point, I always thought oak trees were kind of NATIVE to southern New England and the tri-state area (and many other places as well).....the prime example being the Charter Oak in Hartford that's on the CT state quarter (and that was there from the 1600s to 1800s so in a colder climate that today to boot), another example being the Red Oak as the state tree of NJ, but I'm under the impression from this thread that they are not.
I’m far from an expert on this (far from), but as I understand it Oaks are native to much of the USA, including the Atlantic states. The big difference is that most of these Oaks are deciduous (meaning they drop their leaf in fall).

However, the American southern Live Oak is evergreen - with deep green leaves on the tree in Dec - Feb. Southern Live Oak is native to the subtropical southeast United States (zones 8 and 9). However, over the last 100 years some specimes have been cultivated in areas like northern Oklahoma, Missouri, Delaware, and coastal areas of the Tri-State (Long Island, coastal NJ/coastal CT). However, SLO is truly only marginally hardy in Connecticut (in terms of evergreen leaves); Anywhere north of the southern half of the 4 southern counties in CT (Fairfield/New Haven/Middlesex/New London) southern Live Oak would have leaf burn in most years. The nights in Dec – Feb are much too colder in most of central and northern CT for SLO to remain evergreen in winter. So the beauty of Southern Live Oak is that in the winter months the leaves are deep green instead of a bare tree.

Here is a map of the zones. In about half of the USA zones (zones 3 through 6) there is little choice if one wants to have leafy green trees in the cold season (Nov - March). However, broadleaf evergreen gardening (meaning leafy green trees in the winter months) is becoming very popular in zones 7 southward. Like many things it seems - Connecticut is right on the line of these two zones. I have a few broadleaf evergreen growing along the Connecticut coast.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the explanation Wavehunter, got it!

Old 12-28-2011, 06:40 PM

HPC has Below normal temps for us now in 6-10 days. Big change from the Above normal they had last week.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 PM

308 posts, read 680,581 times
I like it! I like it alot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
HPC has Below normal temps for us now in 6-10 days. Big change from the Above normal they had last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut