Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2011, 07:43 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

Now NWS while showing colder than originally predicted weather (though except for Christmas Eve pretty much at or slightly above normal), no sign of precip anywhere. Wow, looks like if it weren't for the Oct. snow we'd be challenging records for latest in the season we even get a flurry.....

Maybe NYC hasn't gotten any snow this December, but we did get a little snow earlier this month in some parts of Ct., though. Or maybe it was late November? I do remember waking up to white one morning.

Ahhh, I looked it up, I had made a note of it. We had a dusting of snow during the night on Dec. 7/early morning the 8th. Just enough to turn everything white until it melted throughout the day. So at least some of us had a little snow this month.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 12-24-2011 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 08:23 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
If you play the odds, the Tri-State should see at least a trace of snow in the final days of 2011. Especially since a snowless December at Central Park, NY has happened as recent as 2007. There was more than 100 years between the 1877 and 2007 snowless Decembers, so perhaps we're way too close to the recent one - lol.

However, who really knows, December 2011 might just pull it off. We'll know soon I guess
There's talk of snow possibly mixing in Tuesday night (though I now see they may be backing off from that in NYC and the CT coast and saying rain only), the one other possibility on their radar (pun intended) is New Year's Eve.

Accuweather seems to think that somehow despite a current NWS prediction of clear-ish weather (and near 50-deg for Christmas Day!) flurries sneaks in from the Lakes.....maybe they're actually "wishcasting" given what day today and tomorrow are?

Northeast Belated Christmas Gift from Old Man Winter (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/northeast-belated-christmas-gi/59433 - broken link)

Though they've now added this: 99% of the U.S. Will Have This on Christmas Day... (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/99-of-the-us-will-see-this-on/59457 - broken link)

Old 12-24-2011, 09:20 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
A little something for everyone from me.

Anyone up past midnight Christmas(early Monday morning) will see flurries flying around.

Rainstorm Tuesday with thunder possible.Up to 1" of rain likely.

Quote:
A POTENT STORM SYSTEM...CURRENTLY IMPACTING NEW MEXICO AND SW
TEXAS...THEN LIFTS TO OUR NORTHEAST TUESDAY NIGHT. EXPECT
RAIN TO DEVELOP FROM SW TO NE.. A RUMBLE OF THUNDER A POSSIBILITY
Warm again nearing 50s beginning of January

Possible big snowstorm in long Range around January 7th.

A Clipper will come down for on New Years eve and will bring Light snows and flurries in the evening.

MERRY CHRISTMAS - HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Old 12-24-2011, 12:34 PM

NWS is noting the Sunday night/Monday morning flurries right now and also showing possible snow mixing in with rain (maybe sticking snow inland/northern CT) Tuesday night.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:46 PM

633 posts, read 1,644,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
A little something for everyone from me.

Rainstorm Tuesday with thunder possible.Up to 1" of rain likely.

Warm again nearing 50s beginning of January
Wondering if our climate changed to Oceanic like Portland or any where in the northwest coastal areas.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:00 AM

Radar is showing what I'm guessing is flurries in the Quiet Corner and in a tiny swath of southeast CT. It's a lot cloudier out than I thought it would be (though NWS is still saying sunny and mid-upper 40s for most today), so I wonder if anyone else got anything (i.e. if Central Park actually got a trace, meaning it won't be a rare "zero snow December"). Probably its only shot at it, as NWS is back to saying all rain for Tuesday into Wednesday (though I don't know if it's still snow for inland parts of CT).

I guess it's a nice little "Holiday touch" for those getting it this morning. Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!

Old 12-25-2011, 07:22 AM

Interesting graphic NWS OKX (NY City) just posted on their FB page. As they said:

Although this graphic has quite a bit of information on it, we think you will find it useful! This is a comparison of the last 5 Decembers that have had 0 or a "Trace" amount of snow and how the rest of the winter played out in regards to snowfall. Also listed is the average temperatures for those Decembers, where we stand in December 2011 and what the "normals" are for December. And just for comparison, the above average snowfall winters of 2009 and 2010 were also included!

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/383290_331219553574033_177148895647767_1290107_117 3059550_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-25-2011, 09:31 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
This reminds me of the winter of 2001-02 in Northeast Ohio. I remember our company president saying "welcome to spring" during the outdoor tree lighting ceremony. Despite being in the snowbelt, Cleveland didn't get substantial snows until February of that season. Could be shaping up the same way for us here in CT!

Old 12-25-2011, 12:09 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
This reminds me of the winter of 2001-02 in Northeast Ohio. I remember our company president saying "welcome to spring" during the outdoor tree lighting ceremony. Despite being in the snowbelt, Cleveland didn't get substantial snows until February of that season. Could be shaping up the same way for us here in CT!
That would suit me just fine. I absolutely despise snow.....

Old 12-26-2011, 06:23 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
That would suit me just fine. I absolutely despise snow.....
X2 for me

What I really like is that this winter is flying - two weeks from now is mid January or so...about 40% of real winter will already be gone. In just 4 weeks weeks daily mean temps start rising (around January 26th or so). With the sun getting higher in the sky everday now, and the sunny pattern the East Coast has been in, you can't ask for a better gift - lol.

This is the kind of winter that makes me love the climate of the Tri-State area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut