Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 06:20 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Radar returning some mixing in NorthEast CT. No ground confirmation yet but they issued a Winter Weather Advisory. Surface still in low 30s and upper layer slightly warmer makes freezing rain issues. Little if any and wont last long.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST THIS MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...NORTHEAST CONNECTICUT INCLUDING THE COUNTIES OF
TOLLAND AND WINDHAM. IN MASSACHUSETTS THE COUNTIES OF CENTRAL MIDDLESEX...WESTERN ESSEX...SOUTHERN WORCESTER AND NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE COUNTY OF RHODE ISLAND.

* HAZARD TYPES...FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...AROUND A TRACE OF ICE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 06:51 AM

Default Dec. 8, 2011 CT Snow Totals

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Everyone here keeps referring to this December as "snowless" in the tri-state area, but Ct. got as much as two inches earlier in the month.
Thats a great point even I failed to remember that. I think it was on the 8th of this month. I'm trying to find some confirmed reports but I do remember people telling me it was snowing. I'm sure the month is unusal for even northern CT but you're right, it's not a "snowless" month in northern tier..

Edit: Found it. The only confirmed(reported) amounts were these but I'm sure a couple inches fell in higher terrains or locally somewhere. I hope one day there are enough trained spotters to get reports from each town.

National Weather Service Text Product Display

Last edited by Cambium; 12-31-2011 at 07:03 AM..

Old 12-31-2011, 07:04 AM

633 posts, read 1,644,961 times
I didnt see any flurries here in central CT... hmmm

Old 12-31-2011, 07:26 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thats a great point even I failed to remember that. I think it was on the 8th of this month. I'm trying to find some confirmed reports but I do remember people telling me it was snowing. I'm sure the month is unusal for even northern CT but you're right, it's not a "snowless" month in northern tier..

Edit: Found it. The only confirmed(reported) amounts were these but I'm sure a couple inches fell in higher terrains or locally somewhere. I hope one day there are enough trained spotters to get reports from each town.

National Weather Service Text Product Display
You actually posted snowfall totals on the 8th!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...ather-342.html

We had a dusting of snow that morning, the ground/roofs etc. were all white when I woke up. It all melted that morning.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:34 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
That link only works for people who live in lower FFC.

Everyone here keeps referring to this December as "snowless" in the tri-state area, but Ct. got as much as two inches earlier in the month. Only some areas were snowless, but I'm more interested in Ct.'s weather. I'm awfully happy the winter has been mild so far though, I am keeping my fingers crossed that this continues. We didn't hit the mid 50's in my area yesterday, but it was unusually mild. I still have a pansy blooming in my backyard.
I'm assuming virtually all of the "southernmost" 1/3 if not 1/2 of CT was snowless as I think others did here too. I'm aware that much of the inland part of CT had snow of some sort this month. Thanks for noting, but considering I live in NY and not CT I've actually more than many others noted in the past that this is a CT weather site and we should minimize using Central Park, etc. If Bridgeport weren't snowless too I wouldn't be talking about the "snowless December" here.

Also, I didn't realize the link had limited access and apologize about that. Anyone who has cable in any "News 12" zone of NJ, NY or CT should be able to access the site. I live in Westchester and access the CT News 12 site whenever there's a storm as it's a good source of school closings (I work on and off for various school districts in Fairfield Co. and for the previous two years worked a regular 3 day/week job in the Bridgeport school district).....granted they do open the "school closing" aspect of the site to anyone, but I had a NJ based friend access the link and she said what she had to do was check off her cable provider name and enter her account number and then she had unlimited access.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I'm assuming virtually all of the "southernmost" 1/3 if not 1/2 of CT was snowless as I think others did here too. I'm aware that much of the inland part of CT had snow of some sort this month. Thanks for noting, but considering I live in NY and not CT I've actually more than many others noted in the past that this is a CT weather site and we should minimize using Central Park, etc. If Bridgeport weren't snowless too I wouldn't be talking about the "snowless December" here.

Also, I didn't realize the link had limited access and apologize about that. Anyone who has cable in any "News 12" zone of NJ, NY or CT should be able to access the site. I live in Westchester and access the CT News 12 site whenever there's a storm as it's a good source of school closings (I work on and off for various school districts in Fairfield Co. and for the previous two years worked a regular 3 day/week job in the Bridgeport school district).....granted they do open the "school closing" aspect of the site to anyone, but I had a NJ based friend access the link and she said what she had to do was check off her cable provider name and enter her account number and then she had unlimited access.
You have to be a subscriber of Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner, or Service Electric to access the Channel 12 link. That limits much of Ct. as those service providers are not available throughout the whole state. A lot of Ct. residents have Charter Communications, U-verse etc.

As for Bridgeport, being along the coast they don't usually get as much snow as further inland, and the temps tend to be warmer.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:53 AM

Current Temps:

Talk about tight.. coastal areas near 50 right now but mid 30s I-84 Northwards. (25 mile difference) We are once Again 10 degrees above normal.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Election Results (http://www.news12.com/blogs.jsp?widgetblogslink=http://blogs.news12.com/westchester/2011/12/23/so-far-we-have-a-perfect-game/ - broken link)

(I know the link says "election results" but I tested it and it went to the right spot. I didn't want to copy/paste his long blog here, but will if the link doesn't work for some reason).
For those who dont have access to it... Here's a JPEG version. Might be hard to read though. If you have a mouse with the rolly thing hold control and roll it up, that will let you zoom in. Or Control and the + key.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:18 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
As for Bridgeport, being along the coast they don't usually get as much snow as further inland, and the temps tend to be warmer.
But it's still pretty rare for them to not get ANY snow in December (even just a trace is somewhat rare) so it was worth noting in this forum. During "snowtober" everyone emphasized the much greater nature of the storm in northern CT so I think people are pretty "fair" here about it (I know I certainly am and I know from past posts that you are as well!). I've long been fascinated with ALL weather in the Northeast, not just that of the tri-state metro area (NOTE TO CAMBIUM: I don't go into your "Vermont weather" forum because I really don't have time for 2 forums, LOL! I'm not even in the general "Weather" section of C-D much).

And thank you Cambium for posting the text of the link (again, sorry if many cannot access the link).

Old 12-31-2011, 08:22 AM

Thanks, Cambium. I can read it with reading glasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut