Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 10:59 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

FYI...Warnings should be issued soon for some parts of CT... here's NOAAs warning Criteria

A good laugh they issue a Warning for 2 inches down in North and South Carolina. Cute. Poor southerners.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/aly/Winter/SN12hrWarning.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Since your using New Haven, CT.... Here's the difference between us.... Statistical vs Reality.

Statistically, you're right. Reality, I'm right... We're below average, we been below average and we're going to get worse.
NO doubt we have been below average...so has the whole USA manland. Yes, the coming weekend will be colder...but it will only last a short time. Even NOAA/NWS sees the high in southeast Canada bringing a moderation by Monday:

FXUS61 KOKX 201539
AFDOKX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
1039 AM EST THU JAN 20 2011

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
ARCTIC HIGH PRES BUILDS THROUGH THE REGION FOR THE WEEKEND WITH DRY WX AND THE COLDEST WEATHER OF THE SEASON. MAX TEMPS WILL TOP OFF IN THE UPPER TEENS TO LOWER 20S SAT AND SUN...AND WILL ONLY BE A FEW DEGREES WARMER ON MON. LOWS WILL GENERALLY DROP INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS...AND MAY BE AS LOW AS 5 DEGREES BELOW ZERO ACROSS THE INTERIOR SUN NIGHT. THESE TEMPS ARE GENERALLY ABOUT 15-20 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL.

HIGH PRES MOVES INTO NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND...AND THEN INTO THE
CANADIAN MARITIMES MON NIGHT...AND WINDS SHIFT TO MORE OF AN
EASTERLY FLOW. THIS WILL HELP MODERATE TEMPS
SOMEWHAT AS HIGHS ON TUE CLIMB INTO THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S...WHICH IS STILL ABOUT 10 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL.

So yes it will turn colder by Satuarday...but but Monday night the winds will be off the ocean again (). So we should see warmer temps after a short cool down this weekend.

As far as the soalr angle, my point was no matter what the weather will do...the days are getting longer now and daily mean temps are rising to the north of us...to the south of us...to the east of us...and to the west of us. That's my kind of direction

Old 01-20-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
As far as the soalr angle, my point was no matter what the weather will do...the days are getting longer now and daily mean temps are rising to the north of us...to the south of us...to the east of us...and to the west of us. That's my kind of direction
That statement can get misconstrued (sp?) "daily mean temps are rising" means the daily averages...but we all know and see that even as the days get longer the temps are actually getting colder.

Anyway - I do not look forward to Hibernating for the summer...Let me enjoy this weather...

Back to the storm:: Snowing in Pittsburgh right now...Radar looks good..

Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 PM

**JANUARY 27, 2011 SNOWSTORM/BLIZZARD**

Man oh man get the ink ready, this winter is not done yet.

Euro has a foot of snow for a large area!

Here's the 26th...low is in mid Atlantic,....then>>>

...THEN....BOOM! ....27th. CT GETS CRUSHED..

Old 01-20-2011, 12:45 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
That statement can get misconstrued (sp?) "daily mean temps are rising" means the daily averages...but we all know and see that even as the days get longer the temps are actually getting colder.
At most NWS stations across the USA…right around January 20th (give or take)…average daily mean temps start to rise. It’s a bit unfair to take a small time frame (like the coming cold snap this weekend) and hold it up as showing temps are going downward. A few days ago the temps were ABOVE normal in most of the eastern USA (Bridgeport and NYC hit the lows 40’s – 3 to 5 F above normal). We might have a few days above normal…then a few days below normal…back and forth for some time. However, the overall point it that daily mean temps are now rising in virtually every location across the USA and for that matter the Northern Hemisphere.

There is not much one can do to stop the building solar angle. I thought this chart was so cool - it shows the days getting longer quite fast now…a week from now we will have 13 more minutes of sunshine…a month from now we will have 1 hr and 13 min more sunshine. The more hours of sunshine… the more snow cover will have a hard time hanging on. Though I'm not a fan of winter at all…February and March can be fun as I watch the power of the sun increase each day.

New Haven, Connecticut - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:

Funny..."CT Crushers" is the name of my fantasy football team!

Old 01-20-2011, 01:15 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:

Go get him wavehunter!!!! Throw out the warm solution...I know its there, i saw it.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 PM

FOR JANUARY 27th.. One Model brings an all rain massive flooding senario to the coast...The other model brings a colder one with all snow...

Gotta keep both eyes on this one.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:51 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
FYI...Warnings should be issued soon for some parts of CT... here's NOAAs warning Criteria

A good laugh they issue a Warning for 2 inches down in North and South Carolina. Cute. Poor southerners.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/aly/Winter/SN12hrWarning.jpg
Actually, I think the fact they issue it (per your map, I didn't know this beforehand, thanks) for only 4" in Philly and central NJ but for 5" in DC into VA is even more laughable. Their avg. seasonal snow totals are close to NYC and Bridgeport (which is a 6" warning zone), whereas DC's avg. seasonal snow total is LESS than metro Philly and central NJ (DC's is actually akin to the somewhat lower seasonal snow totals of coastal southern NJ, so DC should match it as a '4" warning zone' and Philly should be a '5" warning zone').

Though I have to grant that including places like the northern Adirondacks, the White Mountains of NH and Burlington, VT area as the same '6" warning zone' as NYC and coastal CT is kind of laughable in the reverse direction too....at least make it a '7" warning zone' like they do the 'lake effect areas' (and they also do for Litchfield County for that matter).

Old 01-20-2011, 01:54 PM

I hope it doesn't rain next week along the coast...I'm not ready for rain or above 35 temps yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut