Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 08:16 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,252,292 times

Advertisements

Have you guys ever had a storm where they forecasted 2-4 inches and you ended up getting 6-8 inches? Ever wonder why that happens?

This is interesting now...models are trending North&West...

There are So many variables even while storm is right above us...

One variable is the warm ocean next to use feeding more moisture into the storm producing higher snowfall amounts. Another is a sudden system movement in our favor, another is the stalling of a storm right above us...there are so many other reasons why there have been storms where the totals have doubled the local mets forecasts.

Whats most interesting about tomorrow is:

1. The very high snow ratios. (light fluffy snow)
2. The speed of storm.

Lets talk about #2. If we're forecasted to get 4 inches and the storm will be in and out in 6 hours...thats almost an inch an hour snowfall rate...Thats practically 1/4 mile visibilty conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Have you guys ever had a storm where they forecasted 2-4 inches and you ended up getting 6-8 inches? Ever wonder why that happens?

Numbers up due to the more northerly track its taking.. Enjoy and be safe folks.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/StormTotalPrecip/StormTotalSnowFcst.png (broken link)

Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 AM

Parts of MO getting 9 inches out of this storm due to the high snow ratios.

3am - 6am going to be the worst of it in Fairfield county.

Dont be suprised if parts of Northern Middlesex, SouthEast Hartford county, Tolland and Windham counties see over half foot out of this..

Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,359,673 times
Right now the area of low pressure looks like it’s moving more north than east to me... and its looking pretty weak and moisture starved. The flow is really fast over the CONUS…so this thing will be a very quick mover (and a bit moisture starved). I really think most of Connecticut will get only 2 to 4 inches of snow, maybe 3 to 5 in a few spots. By this weekend it will turn colder. The good news is it looks like strong high pressure builds into southeast Canada, by late Monday - so the return flow will be off the ocean again…and temps across the Tri-State will moderate into the 35 F range and the snow melting will resume.

I mentioned the flood potential in the Tri-State area a while back. We have been lucky that the last warm up was modest and the rain was light. However, we could have another flood threat this coming Wed (Jan 23rd)…as a deep neg tilted trough looks like it might set up just west of the East Coast and low pressure tries to ride up the Atlantic coastal plain bringing heavy rain and temps near 50 F with a rapid snow melt across the Tri-State area. So we’ll have to watch what happens in the middle of next week, and see how this develops.

For those tracking the building solar angle…here is an interesting chart/site. It shows how we keep gaining more and more daylight (and solar power) each day. Using New Haven, Ct as the example…by tomorrow there will be 2 minutes more daylight than today…one week from now there will be 13 minutes more daylight than today…one month from now, there will be 1 hr and 9 minutes more daylight than today…and it just keeps going up and up.

New Haven, Connecticut - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Old 01-20-2011, 08:59 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Thats true..you guys are battle hardened now.. Just think this one is more in the 3-6 range for CT ..we'll see. I'm Flying up there Saturday , leaving Tuesday..worried about the 25th..that looks to be a developing situation now. Hopefully holds off till the 26th.
Wow..that guy is gonna hit the forecast right on the head! But..i don't even look at the models

Old 01-20-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Right now the area of low pressure looks like it’s moving more north than east to me... and its looking pretty weak and moisture starved. The flow is really fast over the CONUS…so this thing will be a very quick mover (and a bit moisture starved). I really think most of Connecticut will get only 2 to 4 inches of snow, maybe 3 to 5 in a few spots. By this weekend it will turn colder. The good news is it looks like strong high pressure builds into southeast Canada, by late Monday - so the return flow will be off the ocean again…and temps across the Tri-State will moderate into the 35 F range and the snow melting will resume.

I mentioned the flood potential in the Tri-State area a while back. We have been lucky that the last warm up was modest and the rain was light. However, we could have another flood threat this coming Wed (Jan 23rd)…as a deep neg tilted trough looks like it might set up just west of the East Coast and low pressure tries to ride up the Atlantic coastal plain bringing heavy rain and temps near 50 F with a rapid snow melt across the Tri-State area. So we’ll have to watch what happens in the middle of next week, and see how this develops.

For those tracking the building solar angle…here is an interesting chart/site. It shows how we keep gaining more and more daylight (and solar power) each day. Using New Haven, Ct as the example…by tomorrow there will be 2 minutes more daylight than today…one week from now there will be 13 minutes more daylight than today…one month from now, there will be 1 hr and 9 minutes more daylight than today…and it just keeps going up and up.

New Haven, Connecticut - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma
This is so funny. Wavehunter picked the one model (ECMWF) that shows the warm scenario. While I'm sure Cambium will come back with a model (GFS) that shows a snow scenario....HEAT AND SNOW MISER!!!!!!!!! I love it.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Whats most interesting about tomorrow is:

1. The very high snow ratios. (light fluffy snow)
2. The speed of storm.

Lets talk about #2. If we're forecasted to get 4 inches and the storm will be in and out in 6 hours...thats almost an inch an hour snowfall rate...Thats practically 1/4 mile visibilty conditions.
Dont be suprised guys if the numbers are doubled from the 2-4" they talked about yesterday..

Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,359,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
This is so funny. Wavehunter picked the one model (ECMWF) that shows the warm scenario. While I'm sure Cambium will come back with a model (GFS) that shows a snow scenario....HEAT AND SNOW MISER!!!!!!!!! I love it.
I hope you are including yourself in the snow miser category too…

I guess I just try to balance out the pro-cold/snow bias of many others have…

Old 01-20-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I hope you are including yourself in the snow miser category too…

I guess I just try to balance out the pro-cold/snow bias of many others have…
True..but I am no Cambium

Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
.... we keep gaining more and more daylight (and solar power) each day. Using New Haven, Ct as the example…by tomorrow there will be 2 minutes more daylight than today…one week from now there will be 13 minutes more daylight than today…one month from now, there will be 1 hr and 9 minutes more daylight than today…and it just keeps going up and up.

Since your using New Haven, CT.... Here's the difference between us.... Statistical vs Reality.

Statistically, you're right. Reality, I'm right... We're below average, we been below average and we're going to get worse.

Currently Average Low is 18, Average High is 36 .

1st pic shows the averages...2nd pic shows "actual", "reality" temps. Doesn't matter whats happened in the past, What matters is now. And now will be FRIDGID no matter the time, angle, ocean color, ect.

AND THATS WITHOUT THE WIND. The real feel will be below Zero!

Last edited by Cambium; 01-20-2011 at 11:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut