Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 09:43 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times

Advertisements

::UPDATE On December 7-9 Snowstorm::

Are we kidding? Here we go again. First time I'm looking at the details as I was hoping for a week break at least...

GFS 12z showing CT as part of this blizzard senario for this coming weekend. NYC wont be as the storm bombs out closer to RI then LI.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,878,491 times
Uh, I think you mean January 7-9?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Uh, I think you mean January 7-9?
LOL Yes...Cant edit it now. Typo. I'm still stuck in December. lol

Another month and I'm thinking about my garden for Spring. Gotta love the NorthEast.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:57 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I see...so your argument for our average snow totals around this area is because of warm ocean in November/December and then the Suns angle after January. You leave yourself 1 good month for snow. lol
When you cut away all the hype/spin/marketing...that is not too far off a statement (lol).

Did you ever wonder how places in the Great Lakes/Intermountain West/New England/Midwest get 100 – 200 inches of snow? One of the basic reasons is that their seasons are so much longer than the East Coast. The average date for the first one inch of snow at NWS Bridgeport is December 21st …and the last one inch is March 12th. That’s less than 90 days. The WAA (warm air advection) patterns in late November and much of December allow many systems to give us on the East Coast rain…while the Midwest gets snow (just as what happened this past December). Then by March, as the subtropical southeastern USA is warming quickly (average high in March is in the 60’s as far north as North Carolina)…WAA is again a real threat. This is why New Haven or Bridgeport or NYC get only 20 – 25 inches of snow on average…despite all the chances of snow ...considering this is a humid climate after all.

As to the solar angle…its strength is greatly underestimated in the Tri-State area: Remember, Connecticut/NYC/NJ…etc is located at the same latitude as central Italy in the Mediterranean (New Haven, Connecticut is south of Rome) and subtropical East Asia. You might be surprised to learn that while February is (on average) the snowiest month at most locations in the Tri-State area…snow cover lasts HALF as long as in January due to the increasing solar angle.

The days are getting longer now…the sun is mounting higher and higher…there is not much one can do about it.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,032 times
If a storm comes this weekend, ideally I would love for it to (at least here) start Thursday overnight around midnight, get good by Friday at dawn, and then be over with Friday night so Saturday is a-ok. Go out Thursday night to start off the weekend, not have jury duty on Friday, and have my friends leave Bradley a-ok on Saturday for their trip to Florida.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
If a storm comes this weekend, ideally I would love for it to (at least here) start Thursday overnight around midnight, get good by Friday at dawn, and then be over with Friday night so Saturday is a-ok. Go out Thursday night to start off the weekend, not have jury duty on Friday, and have my friends leave Bradley a-ok on Saturday for their trip to Florida.
Looks like you'll be in court...Sorry...Maybe they'll cancel it, call before hand. While I think we'll see snow, it wont be over half foot... So the margin is 0 to 4 inches here.

The one to keep an eye on is the 13th! Looks like a Low coming from south which gives it time to develop off the coast which is what the trend has been for months... Right now one model suggests over a foot with that storm...

Gonna be active after the 7th for sure.

Lets keep an eye on this weekends allthough because it's coming from Great Lakes I dont see it carrying moisture or strengthening in time for us...Maybe RI or Maine but not CT

Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,430,619 times
Gosh I hope this snow doesn't hit us. I've got a flight to catch!!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Gosh I hope this snow doesn't hit us. I've got a flight to catch!!!!
This weekend you'll be fine... Nothing will be like last weeks...next week could be but right now its not.

Friday there will be a narrow band of 6 inch snow so you'll have to be lucky to be in that. I think generally 1-3 inches but Rhode Island and Maine more.

Next week there will be more than half foot more wide spread.

Stay Tuned.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:15 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,090,361 times
Quote:
This weekend you'll be fine... Nothing will be like last weeks...next week could be but right now its not.

Friday there will be a narrow band of 6 inch snow so you'll have to be lucky to be in that. I think generally 1-3 inches but Rhode Island and Maine more.

Stay Tuned.
Hope you're right...despite all the headlines, it has hardly felt like winter around central CT so far!

Old 01-04-2011, 02:15 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,430,619 times
Quote:

Stay Tuned.
Thanks for the opinion. I sure hope you are right about the weekend!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut