Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 05:40 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times

Advertisements

Well...that was a fun ride .... On to the next one... Apparently the next 30 days will be active.

Next "potential" storm is around Jan 7th but I dont think we'll be beating this past Blizzard for another 5-10 years. If we do then something has changed for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 06:44 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,878,491 times
The question is though, will it be a "warm" January and February like some experts out there have predicted (which means many of these "storms" could be rain), or will we get a lot of snow?

Since our coming New Year's Weekend "warm spell" is predicted to end abruptly on Monday, the 7th could be interesting.......

Old 12-29-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
The question is though, will it be a "warm" January and February like some experts out there have predicted (which means many of these "storms" could be rain), or will we get a lot of snow?

Since our coming New Year's Weekend "warm spell" is predicted to end abruptly on Monday, the 7th could be interesting.......
Yes, will warm up over next 6 days with Rain this weekend. Snow should all be melted or a couple inches remaining.

After that we enter a cold spell again.

Keep in mind...If this past storm didnt put snow down on the ground, which now practically 45 states of the entire lower 48 has snow, we would be hitting 50s this week.

The snowpack keeps the air cooler.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:51 AM

Merrit At the Beginning of Blizzard 2010.

Route 7 Connector from Merrit South.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yes, will warm up over next 6 days with Rain this weekend. Snow should all be melted or a couple inches remaining.

After that we enter a cold spell again.

Keep in mind...If this past storm didnt put snow down on the ground, which now practically 45 states of the entire lower 48 has snow, we would be hitting 50s this week.

The snowpack keeps the air cooler.
I actually find this statement interesting because my honest take on Global Warming is that while I think it scientifically exists (Venus is a LOT hotter than it would be if it didn't have an atmosphere full of CO2, etc., I think it's as hot as Mercury) it's a lot more complicated than both the skeptics and the advocates make of it and in the end one forcing produces another feedback that in a way "cancel things out" somewhat.

I mean OK maybe a warmer atmosphere is a wetter one, this produces more clouds and precipitation to cool things back down. In winter, this may produce more snow which makes things colder than they'd otherwise be.

Or perhaps we don't realize how variable weather and climate truly is and the "greenhouse effect" is rather small.

I'll stop there before this becomes like that forum in here on the Confederate flag

Old 12-29-2010, 04:24 PM

My "opinion" on Global Warming is that its "global not local" If you take the average of the Earths temp you will see its going up.

With that said..Changes dont happen overnight especially when you're trying to figure out an entire planet...so perhaps we have been through the warming process and now we're switching to the cooling aspect of the Earth?...

With that said...my "opinion" is.. we have no doubt sped up the warming process as humans in which Volcanoes have erupted in which have put sulfate into the atmosphere in which blocks the sunlight. When sulfate enters a part of the atmosphere it actually blocks the sunlight as opposed to other areas of the atmopshere which it doesn't. Media isn't covering the Europe early extreme winter and the 90% of lower 48 covered with snow in December. I am almost certain thats Volcano related.

And lets not all forget the sunner of 2010, May to September seemed like it never went below 90s for me. Ugh

Anyway .. speaking of Averages....I think jp03 and wavehunter are speechless on this past Blizzard...LOL, havent heard from them since before the warnings came out...Always easy to say "see no storm, you were wrong" LOL

Old 12-29-2010, 05:42 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,032 times
Potential snowstorm on Jan 7th? I like the sound of that. I got scheduled jury duty that day.

Just as long as it snows on the Friday. Thursday no good, Saturday no good, Friday would be perfect.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Potential snowstorm on Jan 7th? I like the sound of that. I got scheduled jury duty that day.

Just as long as it snows on the Friday. Thursday no good, Saturday no good, Friday would be perfect.
Where did i say "snow"storm? LOL.. Havent looked at the details but I'll try to make sure the cold ait is in place and it snowstorms on the 7th for you. :-)

Old 12-30-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
My "opinion" on Global Warming is that its "global not local" If you take the average of the Earths temp you will see its going up.

With that said..Changes dont happen overnight especially when you're trying to figure out an entire planet...so perhaps we have been through the warming process and now we're switching to the cooling aspect of the Earth?...

With that said...my "opinion" is.. we have no doubt sped up the warming process as humans in which Volcanoes have erupted in which have put sulfate into the atmosphere in which blocks the sunlight. When sulfate enters a part of the atmosphere it actually blocks the sunlight as opposed to other areas of the atmopshere which it doesn't. Media isn't covering the Europe early extreme winter and the 90% of lower 48 covered with snow in December. I am almost certain thats Volcano related.

And lets not all forget the sunner of 2010, May to September seemed like it never went below 90s for me. Ugh

Anyway .. speaking of Averages....I think jp03 and wavehunter are speechless on this past Blizzard...LOL, havent heard from them since before the warnings came out...Always easy to say "see no storm, you were wrong" LOL
Interestingly, the world actually cooled a little bit from the 1940s until the 70s and many say it was because the pollution of that time (long since mostly "curbed") contained sulfates and lots of other materials that block sunlight the way volcanoes do.

As for temperatures, I'll grant that (using Central Park at least) the only two "below normal" months in 2010 will be this one and February (January was about normal, the other months were well above).

Old 12-30-2010, 02:21 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:

Goes to show you.. I was surprised by that one. Was up there for the holidays. Crazy stuff. It was the first storm i remember where you could not walk into the wind. You just could't do it..it was too much. Even in 2006 blizzard I got to take a little walk. Still patches of snow on the ground here in Charlotte.. usually its all gone in a day..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut