Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 02:48 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
For what it's worth...I lived in the snow belt east of Cleveland for 6 years, and locals never referred to lake effect snow as a "storm". In fact, lake effect would often set up after a storm as the wind direction turned NW or WNW over Lake Erie.
National Weather Service Forecast Office - WFO Buffalo, New York

Buffalo national weather service Lake Effect Storm Season 2012-2013

That's how the nws refers to it.

So I guess the scientists and meteorologists over there know nothing like me. Oh and I'm not sure what you're talking about. All the snowmobiler's and locals talk all the time time about it storming up on the tug. When buffalo gets socked with 2 feet from lake effect they talk about a storm. When a few severe thunderstorms pop up they talk about a storm.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:18 PM

11,302 posts, read 18,899,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post

So I guess the scientists and meteorologists over there know nothing like me. Oh and I'm not sure what you're talking about. All the snowmobiler's and locals talk all the time time about it storming up on the tug. When buffalo gets socked with 2 feet from lake effect they talk about a storm. When a few severe thunderstorms pop up they talk about a storm.
And when they get 2-3 feet they even have parking bans and close the schools......but I also side with kidyankee about all the times Cambium was more useful than the NWS itself.....I always thought myself to be quite a "weather geek", but he's me on ultra-steroids and then some (I'm more the stats and history guru)

And speaking of Tuesday's snow, NWS seems to think there's a bigger chance in NYC and points south than in CT. In fact for Hartford it's showing "flurries or snow showers" Monday night only. But I guess time will tell....

Old 01-19-2014, 03:21 PM

83,529 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Quote:
So thunder"storms" are not storms.
Thunderstorms are more than just moisture falling from the atmosphere. Best analogy I can think of is, think of a big Donut, that's a storm. Now think of the munchkins or Donut hole fillings, that's the thunderstorm. Thunderstorms are a like mini version of a large storm..

If we called everything a storm just from moisture falling from the atmosphere then we would call rain coming from an on shore flow from the ocean a rain storm. Or Lake Effect snows a snowstorm. Take a read around some NWS discussions.

Quote:
Read the details.. Click on the dates.

Jan 20-24, 2013 ; "A strong area of low pressure passed just north of the region" THAT was a storm.

Nov 25-26, 2012: "Modest lake instability existed, and moisture ahead of a mid level shortwave re-energized lake bands" THAT wasn't a storm.

Storm Season is labeled a whole. Not for the event. Learn about shortwaves, pretty interesting stuff.

Like today.. They are getting Lake Effect snows... not one mention of a storm..

ANOTHER BATCH OF SNOW THAT MADE ITS WAY THROUGH THE NIAGARA FRONTIER
OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF HORUS IS NOW APPROACHING THE ROCHESTER METRO
AREA. THIS BATCH OF ENHANCED SNOWFALL WITH RATES OF ROUGHLY
ONE-QUARTER TO ONE HALF INCH PER HOUR WILL CONTINUE TO TRACK EAST IN
ASSOCIATION WITH YET ANOTHER MID/UPPER LEVEL SHORTWAVE TRACKING
ACROSS THE AREA
. AFTER THAT EXPECT A GENERAL LULL IN SNOWFALL FOR
MUCH OF THE FORECAST AREA AS A SUBSEQUENT SHORTWAVE RIDGE PASSES
OVERHEAD. NONETHELESS...STILL EXPECT THAT PERIODS OF LIGHT SNOW WILL
BE POSSIBLE THIS EVENING ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE NIAGARA FRONTIER
THANKS TO PERSISTENT SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW OFF LAKE ERIE AND 850MB
TEMPS THAT ARE JUST COLD ENOUGH TO SUPPORT LIMITED LAKE EFFECT
FLURRIES/LIGHT SNOW
. THE STORY IS DIFFERENT EAST OF LAKE ONTARIO
WHERE 850MB TEMPS ARE COLDER BY 2 DEGREES AND DOWN-LAKE FETCH
LONGER...PARTICULARLY AS WINDS VEER A LITTLE MORE TOWARDS 240-260
DEGREES FROM THE CURRENT 210-220 DEGREES.

AS MENTIONED ABOVE...ONCE THE AFOREMENTIONED SHORTWAVE PASSES EAST
OF THE FORECAST AREA

"Event" is used more for snow since snow can develop without an actual storm.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:24 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,109,149 times
Quote:

There's nothing inconsistent in my statement vs. yours. I'm talking about locals in Cleveland...never made any claims about any other lake effect city.

And further--most of the NE Ohio lake effect does not come in 2' dumps. Those are truly rare. It manifests itself as frequent snows usually <4" per event.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:31 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
There's nothing inconsistent in my statement vs. yours. I'm talking about locals in Cleveland...never made any claims about any other lake effect city.

And further--most of the NE Ohio lake effect does not come in 2' dumps. Those are truly rare. It manifests itself as frequent snows usually <4" per event.
2 to 3 foot dumps are common off lake ontario. Montague new york got 77 inches in 24 hours. The entire tug got hammered, but I guess cam would say that's not a storm.

Just go trough the storm archive and see the STORMS they get. Here's just an example of one. LARGE area getting absolutely hammered with snow that would shut down CT for a week or more.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times
This is going to be one COLD COLD week..

Old 01-19-2014, 06:29 PM

83,529 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
This is going to be one COLD COLD week..
Here's the latest GFS data for Danbury. Says Wednesday morning it will be 4.7° and by Wednesday 7pm it will be 8.5°. Might not be exact as that but that gives an idea how cold it will be Wednesday.
And it Looks like we struggle past the teens Tuesday to Friday.

But maybe hitting low 30s again Saturday. These aren't maxs and mins

Attached Thumbnails
Weather in Connecticut-data16.jpg  

Old 01-19-2014, 07:27 PM

679 posts, read 1,191,392 times
Cold Update...

NWS New York

Hazardous Weather Outlook
Quote:
HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
1234 PM EST SUN JAN 19 2014

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHERN
CONNECTICUT
...NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST NEW YORK.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY.

AN ARCTIC AIRMASS WILL GRADUALLY SETTLE INTO THE REGION FOR MUCH OF
THE UPCOMING WEEK STARTING MONDAY NIGHT. THIS WILL BE ACCENTUATED
TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT WITH HIGH TEMPERATURES AROUND 15 TO 20 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL AND LOW TEMPERATURES AROUND 10 TO 15 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL. WIDESPREAD BELOW ZERO WIND CHILLS ARE FORECAST TUESDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY WEDNESDAY.

Last edited by JayCT; 01-20-2014 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Removed off topic comment

Old 01-19-2014, 08:13 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeworm View Post
From Chef Ramsay himself:

Cold Update...

NWS New York

Hazardous Weather Outlook
I dunno everyone complaining winter is a lamb this year. Its been freakin cold... I don't remember this many cold days in a long time. Snowfall is still average. To all the folks who love snow and got spoiled by the 2010/2011 season.. that was ABNORMAL! Very abnormal..in fact, don't expect to see a 6 week period like that again in your lifetime in CT.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 PM

679 posts, read 1,191,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I dunno everyone complaining winter is a lamb this year. Its been freakin cold... I don't remember this many cold days in a long time. Snowfall is still average. To all the folks who love snow and got spoiled by the 2010/2011 season.. that was ABNORMAL! Very abnormal..in fact, don't expect to see a 6 week period like that again in your lifetime in CT.
Agreed-- we're in the hole again for the next week+, with temps rarely getting above freezing. I am surprised to see another strong push by winter, given our "polar plunge" a few weeks ago. But it's good to see winter making its return. Without some good cool weather, we can't enjoy the warmth when it rolls around the corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut