Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:46 AM

53 posts, read 162,130 times

Advertisements

25 inches in Woodstock CT
Bruce Deprest reported "51 inches at Windsor Locks since December 26"

On the bright side i Did a little research and looks like The Arctic Ocsillation goes positive in February
bringing above normal temps to the region which would mean a much needed thaw here in New England BTW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
In Branford I'm guessing about 17".
Holy crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2000kid View Post
25 inches in Woodstock CT
Holy crap!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:54 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
I heard Meriden got 19" from yesterday/last night's.

Question, where does anyone find snowfall totals? I haven't read this entire thread, or even the last couple pages yet, so I apologize if it's posted. But I tried googling and didn't find much, but I know my co-worker always finds a site with totals listed.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:57 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Holy crap!

Holy crap!
Here's an interesting stat.....it is now the first time EVER that Central Park has two straight winters with 50+" of snowfall (in the early 2000s a record of 4 straight winters of 40"+ happened, though none hit 50, one winter was about an inch short). Not true for Bridgeport though (similar average annual snowfall so would be a similar feat, but the only list of snowfall totals I could find for them was this: Bridgeport Monthly Snowfall, it was incomplete and only went to 1996.....also last year many storms struck NYC and points south harder (as well as that strange Feb. storm where CT and LI got rain while NYC and points west/south got snow) so Bridgeport "only" had 38.1" last winter)......however, the 41.8" for Bridgeport this month (see "southern CT/Tri-State area" link below) may very well be it's all-time monthly snowfall....the above incomplete (and not recent) chart doesn't even show any months with 30".

Based on this somewhat incomplete (through 2000) chart: Windsor Locks Monthly Snowfall, I would guess Hartford's equivalent would be two winters with 70+", though I'm pretty sure Hartford didn't get 70" of snow last winter (again, most of the above normal snows were from NYC south to DC last year, especially from Philly on south).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post

Question, where does anyone find snowfall totals? I haven't read this entire thread, or even the last couple pages yet, so I apologize if it's posted. But I tried googling and didn't find much, but I know my co-worker always finds a site with totals listed.
For Southern CT/the Tri-State area: http://forecast.weather.gov/product....KX&product=PNS (they just updated)

For Northern CT (except Litchfield County): http://forecast.weather.gov/product....OX&product=PNS

For Litchfield County: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/hydromet/erEventDisplay.php (unfortunately, this one is a map you have to tweak down......the Albany NWS office (which handles Litchfield) didn't do a storm report yet......but you can also see the rest of the Northeast too).

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 01-27-2011 at 06:10 AM..

Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post

Save the link..They update it throughout the day
National Weather Service Text Product Display

Old 01-27-2011, 06:08 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Thank you for these links!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:09 AM

Trucks are banned from I-95 until 10am.
Northbound closed at exit 10 in Darien.

Traffic Cams:

ConnDOT: Connecticut Traffic Cameras=|

Old 01-27-2011, 06:15 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Trucks are banned from I-95 until 10am.
Northbound closed at exit 10 in Darien.

Traffic Cams:

ConnDOT: Connecticut Traffic Cameras=|
Thanks for the link, my wife used to use it a lot when she worked in Norwalk, I surprisingly (since I commute to CT all the time now to both Stamford and Trumbull/Bridgeport, not today thankfully) should've have remembered that one and long forgot.

I posted about the truck ban last page, but if you look at the traffic cams in the above link, it seems the trucks are all "breaking" it

Cool to see the roads completely snow covered though.....

Old 01-27-2011, 06:24 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Here's an interesting stat.....it is now the first time EVER that Central Park has two straight winters with 50+" of snowfall (in the early 2000s a record of 4 straight winters of 40"+ happened, though none hit 50, one winter was about an inch short). Not true for Bridgeport though (similar average annual snowfall so would be a similar feat, but the only list of snowfall totals I could find for them was this: Bridgeport Monthly Snowfall, it was incomplete and only went to 1996.....also last year many storms struck NYC and points south harder (as well as that strange Feb. storm where CT and LI got rain while NYC and points west/south got snow) so Bridgeport "only" had 38.1" last winter)......however, the 41.8" for Bridgeport this month (see "southern CT/Tri-State area" link below) may very well be it's all-time monthly snowfall....the above incomplete (and not recent) chart doesn't even show any months with 30".
Yup, there goes that 86-year-old record.

Snow piles up on snow-weary Northeast - Weather - msnbc.com

Meanwhile, my friends in NYC are saying, "I love the snow!"

They don't drive. They don't have dogs. They don't own their homes, so they don't have to shovel. The only reason I don't want to smack them is because they *do* have to pay a gazillion dollars in rent every month.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 AM

We Are Now In The Top 10 Snowiest Winters ALL WITHIN 4 WEEKS...

59 Inches in 4 weeks time. Some have more.

And there's more coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut