Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:55 AM

4,541 posts, read 6,811,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
I have 8 inches and I'm in Granby too. I didn't even attempt a commute in to Hartford today.
My wife left at 10:15. Her company was opening at 11:00. She said the roads from Granby to Hartford were fine and there were no delays. Downtown Hartford is a different story. They have nowhere to put the snow so the streets are a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,023,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Go read my post above. I-95 north has hundreds of stranded vehicles. That's considered passable?

Just because you don't like the idea of the thread doesn't mean you have to come in here like a raging bull.
7:45am and the roads were 90% bare asphalt on I84 and RT2. Coming back about 8:30am, they were near 100% water.

I don't know why I95 was like it was, but the highways around here at least were just fine. Again, this is not Tahoe with 4-6 feet of snow in the mountains making it "unpassable". It's a snow storm, in New England. We are 10 inches above our norm. Whoopie.

As for the bull comment, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not being the dramatic person here, just a realist. It's snow, they plow, we shovel, it's gone, it's cold. Rinse and repeat for another month.

Edit: As I was typing, he wrote this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
My wife left at 10:15. Her company was opening at 11:00. She said the roads from Granby to Hartford were fine and there were no delays. Downtown Hartford is a different story. They have nowhere to put the snow so the streets are a mess.
So that's two different directions saying the same thing.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM

21,638 posts, read 31,262,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
7:45am and the roads were 90% bare asphalt on I84 and RT2. Coming back about 8:30am, they were near 100% water.

I don't know why I95 was like it was, but the highways around here at least were just fine. Again, this is not Tahoe with 4-6 feet of snow in the mountains making it "unpassable". It's a snow storm, in New England. We are 10 inches above our norm. Whoopie.

As for the bull comment, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not being the dramatic person here, just a realist. It's snow, they plow, we shovel, it's gone, it's cold. Rinse and repeat for another month.
There was between 18-20" of snow in southern CT, that's why the roads were that way. 7:45 AM, southern CT still had snow-covered roads. I-95 was still a parking lot.

Does Tahoe have the dense population of southern CT? No. That's why there were issues.

Quote:
So that's two different directions saying the same thing.
So what's your point JV? Are you trying to say that there was not 10+ miles of stranded vehicles?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:01 AM

352 posts, read 782,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
My company opened at 10 but luckily I brought my laptop home last night.

yup, i figured the highways would be OK, but since alot of the streets in hartford are down to one lane, it's a nightmare. Tomorrow will be fun!

Old 01-27-2011, 11:02 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
i think the cities are going to have a hard time in general, bethel had truck come in to move things out after the last big one as the piles were so high there was nowhere left tp put it all down greenwood ave...i dont know where they trucked it all too, but it all got shoveld into bit pickups and driven away.

its already built up pretty good again since then so im expecting after the next one there going to do it all again.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i think the cities are going to have a hard time in general, bethel had truck come in to move things out after the last big one as the piles were so high there was nowhere left tp put it all down greenwood ave...i dont know where they trucked it all too, but it all got shoveld into bit pickups and driven away.

its already built up pretty good again since then so im expecting after the next one there going to do it all again.
Most times they dump it in rivers...which I have a problem with considering all the salt that's in the snow. I guess the state is exempt from the DEP's oversight.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:26 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,091,091 times
Quote:
It's snow, they plow, we shovel, it's gone,
It's not gone. It's right there in the 5 foot high wall along my driveway.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:29 AM

34,969 posts, read 57,045,368 times
Quote:
Most times they dump it in rivers...which I have a problem with considering all the salt that's in the snow. I guess the state is exempt from the DEP's oversight.
It is going to end up in the rivers anyway. Plus salt and the new stuff ConnDOT uses are environmentally safe. Actually sand is worse for the environment because it settles in the stream beds and blocks drain pipes. Jay

Old 01-27-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
It's not gone. It's right there in the 5 foot high wall along my driveway.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It is going to end up in the rivers anyway. Plus salt and the new stuff ConnDOT uses are environmentally safe. Actually sand is worse for the environment because it settles in the stream beds and blocks drain pipes. Jay
I hate sand more than salt, it just makes mud. However you made my point...the runoff. It's not good to have all this runoff, whether it's in the storm drains or dumped in the rivers. Salt is NOT good in high levels. It will kill plant life and in high enough numbers aquatic life as well. Since Manchester has switched to salt, the chloride levels in my well water have spiked. I'm not happy.

It's funny that the state says what the state uses is safe. I bet the fox said the hen house was secure too.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There was between 18-20" of snow in southern CT, that's why the roads were that way.
I guess they know how to plow better in Hartford then. We have the same totals if not more.

Last edited by JayCT; 01-27-2011 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Removed flame
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut