Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 11:56 AM

33 posts, read 69,685 times

Advertisements

I have a patient that over sees about 30 Food Lion stores in the Raleigh/Durham area and he says that they will lose on average, about 30-40% per bag when a Walmart moves in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 12:06 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
but will they have more business from more people going out to that area that didn't previously? I never go to that Food Lion personally if I don't have to because they never have more than 1 or 2 lanes open & checkout takes forever & a day. no check yourself out lane either. I either go to Harris Teeter or the other Food Lion@ Bells Fork.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big77wick View Post
I have a patient that over sees about 30 Food Lion stores in the Raleigh/Durham area and he says that they will lose on average, about 30-40% per bag when a Walmart moves in.
Wow, that's a lot of business. Ive never been inside that Food Lion but I've always liked the facade much better than the rest of the Food Lions. I personally shop at Lowes Foods but when I lived Downtown I went to Harris Teeter.

Btw I Just remembered I saw the Google Streetview car in Greenville sometime last week, so I guess we're being updated. The new CarQuest is going up fast and I'm beginning to believe Greenville is almost back at Pre-Recession levels regarding construction (not including home construction, I remember at one point Thomas Langston Road was absolutely booming with new home construction but it's not back to that level yet)

Old 05-08-2012, 02:31 PM

232 posts, read 475,121 times
Any update on the Dairy Queen?

Old 05-08-2012, 02:40 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Its still just a pile of dirt from what I see.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
but will they have more business from more people going out to that area that didn't previously? I never go to that Food Lion personally if I don't have to because they never have more than 1 or 2 lanes open & checkout takes forever & a day. no check yourself out lane either. I either go to Harris Teeter or the other Food Lion@ Bells Fork.
I don't think many people drive out of their way to go to a Food Lion. If people drive to the area to go to Walmart, most will just do their grocery shopping at Walmart as well.

I hope the Food Lion does ok once Walmart opens, because I want to see more competition (even though I no longer live in Greenville). When I lived in Eastern Pines, I split my grocery shopping between the Food Lion next to the upcoming Walmart and the Harris Teeter at Bells Fork. Shopped some at the Food Lion near 10th and Greenville Blvd (both Food Lions were on my way home from work) and a little at the Food Lion at Bells Fork.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 AM

45 posts, read 75,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I'm with you on the Food Lion thing. I always go to the Bells Fork Harris Teeter but every few months or so I give Food Lion another try and everytime I go back I'm reminded why I left in the first place. One lane open and the self-check out is closed...are they on break? I don't get it. There is no telling what those self-checkout kiosks cost and for them to let them sit there unable to be used makes no sense to me. Harris Teeter may be more expensive on average but time is money so you get what you pay for.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big77wick View Post
Yeah. I'm amazed at how quickly they cleared it out.
And check out the updated map.
Color me unimpressed with the tenants signed up so far. A basic carbon copy of every other strip mall.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:48 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
^ I've heard Fire house Subs is supposed to be going out @ the Wal-Mart ... but other than that, not impressed either with the other tenants.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 AM

33 posts, read 69,685 times
Who said anything about being impressed. Of courese it's going to be a "cookie cutter" strip mall. Wal-Mart and the minions who follow them and set up show where ever they are aren't impressive or unique but they are profitable and will help the other, non-competing businesses around them (like me ) by increasing traffic. I wouldn't expect there to be any others outside of the non-impressive mold to set up show in the future either. I'm sure it will be the same, Radioshack, Apple Bee's, and Chili's type places will be the only others to weigh anchor in the open areas. Especially considering that Greenville is not know for it's unique or impressive shopping or eating establishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina