Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 07:07 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times

Advertisements

^^That student housing complex was built way, way too far from campus. I know it's around the North Rec. Complex (which in itself is a highly under utilized property in my opinion. ECU does a terrible job marketing that area, a large portion of the students who come into my office everyday have never heard of it & it's really nice out there) but it's really way too far out for students. The previous zoning and council should have known better.

I am not against the new housing going up in the uptown area, that is where it should have gone in the first place. These outlier complexes are going to have to be converted into adult family complexes or section 8 housing.

I don't see why the North Campus Crossing Complex couldn't be turned into a nice adult family complex..there are a lot of industrial work zones out that way & it's close to Washington so I would think it would interest adults if it was renovated and leased out to normal adults. I really hope it doesn't turn into section 8 housing, I'd rather it just shut down and sit there.

I think that some of the other complexes out on 10th street specifically 33 East & Copper Beach are destine to become section 8 housing over the next 5 - 10 years. They should have never been allowed to be built like they were, poor, poor planning by our previous city leaders who were desperate for any economic investment...now we haev to live with those decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 07:27 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Kinda surprised about the old NCC being foreclosed. Many of the comments on different pages say that NCC simply stopped giving a crap about residents that lived there. 15 % occupied is terrible. Many reviews showed that maintenance took several weeks to resolve resident issues, and when residents moved out, they were hit with "overage" utility fees by the complex.

28k+ students and a small fraction of them live on campus. I still think student housing is in demand, even for a place as far out as NCC. It may result in lower rents being the hook for students. Maybe a little renovation and change in attitude will help it come back.

Last edited by michealbond; 06-24-2016 at 07:48 AM..

Old 06-24-2016, 08:49 PM

144 posts, read 189,955 times
On the heels of the NCC bankruptcy news, last night the Greenville Board of Adjustment gave final approval for the Taft-Ward project on Tenth Street and the Sidewalk development on Dickinson Avenue and Reade Circle to proceed. The Sidewalk development requested an increase from 40 to 60 units for the market rate units, while the number of student units will remain the same at 90. Both projects are expected to start construction in the fall and the Taft-Ward project is expected to be completed in 2017 according to the news report (I have a hard time believing that the Taft-Ward project can be completed in such a short time frame).

Old 06-25-2016, 04:41 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Kinda surprised about the old NCC being foreclosed. Many of the comments on different pages say that NCC simply stopped giving a crap about residents that lived there. 15 % occupied is terrible. Many reviews showed that maintenance took several weeks to resolve resident issues, and when residents moved out, they were hit with "overage" utility fees by the complex.

28k+ students and a small fraction of them live on campus. I still think student housing is in demand, even for a place as far out as NCC. It may result in lower rents being the hook for students. Maybe a little renovation and change in attitude will help it come back.
No surprise here. I know someone that lives in Greenville and I was told that complex was a ****hole. Also, NCC got an "F" before they changed their name.

http://www.bbb.org/raleigh-durham/bu...le-nc-90074251

Old 06-25-2016, 04:51 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
On the heels of the NCC bankruptcy news, last night the Greenville Board of Adjustment gave final approval for the Taft-Ward project on Tenth Street and the Sidewalk development on Dickinson Avenue and Reade Circle to proceed. The Sidewalk development requested an increase from 40 to 60 units for the market rate units, while the number of student units will remain the same at 90. Both projects are expected to start construction in the fall and the Taft-Ward project is expected to be completed in 2017 according to the news report (I have a hard time believing that the Taft-Ward project can be completed in such a short time frame).
Love the time frame...it seems there is almost a race for putting up apartments within WALKING DISTANCE to ECU.

Hate to see what will happen to these outlying complexes, but real estate is all about location...and taking kids away from the University area is bad for Greenville. So tear them down if they have to or just go market rate and see what happens.

As for the downtown area...work continues on numerous rehab projects, the 10th St connector is taking its shape, the new student union is underway and now these buildings will start on Reade Circle and 10th St...with more to come in the Pugh's site and hotel downtown. I have always said cranes are the sign of a healthy downtown, it appears a number of them will be in action at the same time.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:36 AM

Marvin Daugherty's last day at WITN

Quote:
We have bittersweet news to report today. After 34 years at WITN, this is Marvin Daugherty’s last day at the station.

Marvin has been working a few days a week at the station for more than a year, but he is now ready to enter into retirement so he can fully relax and spend time with his family. Before he moved into his part-time position, he was WITN's chief meteorologist for 20 years.

We can’t thank Marvin enough for his dedication to Eastern Carolina and his kindness. We will miss him dearly.

The picture on this story is Marvin with anchor Lynnette Taylor at his retirement party last night at the station. It was a pleasure to honor him.

Marvin will still represent WITN through Holiday Vacations, and we also won’t hesitate to call him if a hurricane churns our way!

We hope you’ll tune in tonight on WITN News at 6 as we take a special look at Marvin’s legacy, and we hope you’ll share your comments on this story or on our Facebook to wish him the best.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:40 AM

Closure planned for East Arlington Road in Greenville

Quote:
Planned construction will shut down part of a road in Greenville.

East Arlington Boulevard will be closed to thru traffic at Merry Lane, where the Southgate Apartments are, beginning July 6th.

The city says the road should be closed for about three business days.

Drivers will be detoured on Red Banks Road and there will be detour signs in place to help navigate traffic.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:43 AM

New brewery on tap for Greenville in the fall

Quote:
A new business is on tap for the future in Greenville. North Carolina continues to hop up on the craft brewery list and now a new brewery will be making it's way to the east this fall.

Not only will they be filling the empty mugs of beer enthusiasts, but also they're filling up an old building that's been empty of business.

Uptown Brewing Company will be moving into the building at 408 Evans Street.

Roger Johnson, Greenville's economic development manager, says the Building Reuse Grant, which was awarded to the brewery by the Department of Commerce, is intended for properties that have been vacant for over 30 days.

"The brewers themselves contacted the Office of Economic Development and asked for assistance on grants and to learn what is available for them," says Johnson. "They knew a little about the Building Reuse Grant, but the Office of Economic Development served as an advocate and helped them fill out the application."

Johnson says having a brewery of this nature will add to the vibrancy of uptown and surrounding businesses agree.

"I think having a brand new business, especially in a building that has been empty for so long, will do nothing but good," says Neil Clark, a tattoo artist at Garry's Skin Grafix. "It is going to bring people around this corner and have them explore this road, Evans Street, more than just Fifth Street."

Clark says he has lived in Greenville for over 18 years and believes a business like this will do exceptionally well because of the college population.

According to the city, the owner of Uptown Brewing Company plans to have a soft opening in October.

Johnson says the brewery is expected to bring 18 new jobs with above average salaries to Greenville. He says this will be a $500,000 dollar capital investment once all is done.

The number of breweries continues to rise on the beerscape in our state, with an estimated 170 total breweries by the end of this year.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:29 AM

112 posts, read 136,339 times
Has anyone heard of any plans for the Fitzgerald or Half Way House buildings? They've been vacant for a while now.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:04 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
There's an industrial dumpster on Cotanche in front of the Halfway House. Didn't Verizon once have that location in mind for a retail store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina