Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 07:29 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Michael White wasn't elected Mayor until November 1989, taking office in Jan. 1990.
You're right. I just quickly looked at the right margin of the Wikipedia article and confused White's time in the Ohio Senate with his time as mayor. So, White became mayor 15 years after Progressive moved to Mayfield Village, and not a decade later as I originally said.

This link also shows terms of all former Cleveland mayors.

Former Cleveland Mayors | City of Cleveland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 07:44 AM

From post 3038:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
In 1987, Lewis described the North Mall Project as still in its "fantasy stages."
This quote is from the following article, the link to which I accidentally omitted.

https://clevelandmagazine.com/in-the...-balancing-act

Old 03-29-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Regardless, White blew the Progressive Tower deal but did leave Cleveland with an even worse lakefront legacy project: Browns Stadium.
Someone that I know that was familiar with the Progressive downtown project confirmed that Peter Lewis became disenchanted with the economics of the project amid some business issues at Progressive in the early 1990s.

White, and everybody else in Cleveland, desperately tried to make the Browns Stadium part of Gateway, but the NFL had the city on a short time line, and, as I remembered, everybody decided there was no choice but to rebuild the stadium on the site of the old stadium. There was not sufficient time to expropriate the land parcels needed to build the project in the Gateway district.

Reportedly, Cleveland attempted to build a new Browns Stadium in the Gateway Project even before Modell fled town with the Browns, and the ensuing city legal action won NFL support for a new stadium, but on the very short timeline.

<<Forbes said leaders proposed building a third Gateway sports facility for the Browns, just south of the Inner Belt a couple of blocks from what is now Progressive Field.

Forbes' memory for detail is hazy. But he said then-Cuyahoga County Commissioner Tim Hagan, Jacobs and lawyers familiar with the financing options were present with Modell at a meeting when the offer was made.
"Tim and I were saying, 'While we are doing this, we might as well clear up the whole damn thing and build all three stadiums,' " Forbes told me. "This way we don't have to go back, and future councilmen and commissioners won't have to deal with the issue. Let's clear it up once and for all, was our thinking...."

I called Hagan, who championed the Gateway complex and suffered great criticism about its cost to taxpayers. He confirmed Forbes' account. He described the offer as informal but honest.
"There is no question we made an effort," Hagan said. >>

Art Modell was offered a stadium for the Cleveland Browns and passed: Mark Naymik | cleveland.com

From memory, perhaps the ability to use the existing pilings (perhaps another mistake about the project) also realized cost savings that influenced the decision.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:31 PM

227 posts, read 198,396 times
Any updates on developments lately? Looks like Van Aken District has a completion date of early/mid summer. They had a block party today. Pinecrest... doesn't look like much progress has been made their since last fall.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
Any updates on developments lately? Looks like Van Aken District has a completion date of early/mid summer. They had a block party today. Pinecrest... doesn't look like much progress has been made their since last fall.
I posted this article in the ice cream thread yesterday:

Graeter's Ice Cream to open 2nd NE Ohio location | cleveland.com

It appears that the first stores will be opening in Orange Village's Pinecrest by the end of May.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:04 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Greater Cleveland RTA ridership drops 9.5 percent to record low in 2017 - Statistical Snapshot | cleveland.com

Pretty dramatic declines in RTA ridership.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Service cutbacks, fare increases and low gasoline prices. A trifecta.

Once persons invest in a car, they likely won't abandon the car for mass transit until variable costs (especially gasoline and parking costs) sufficiently exceed the cost of RTA fares. So RTA has a very tough road ahead.

I wonder if RTA has considered smaller bus sizes on some of its routes, especially for off-peak hours.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:03 AM

378 posts, read 342,256 times
Worth reading some of the grassroots proposals to overhaul and save the system: Fair Fares: A Campaign for Better Transit – Clevelanders for Public Transit

RTA is finally approaching a point where they can get more forward-thinking members on the board. It's a critical time to put pressure on county leadership to push for good appointments.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:03 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
Worth reading some of the grassroots proposals to overhaul and save the system: Fair Fares: A Campaign for Better Transit – Clevelanders for Public Transit

RTA is finally approaching a point where they can get more forward-thinking members on the board. It's a critical time to put pressure on county leadership to push for good appointments.
Well given that RTA was formed in the mid-70s with ridership tanking post-1980, it's never too late to start pressuring for ''more forward-thinking members'' on the board.

For starters, cancel the rebuild of the E 34/Campus Station.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:05 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Service cutbacks, fare increases and low gasoline prices. A trifecta.

Once persons invest in a car, they likely won't abandon the car for mass transit until variable costs (especially gasoline and parking costs) sufficiently exceed the cost of RTA fares. So RTA has a very tough road ahead.

I wonder if RTA has considered smaller bus sizes on some of its routes, especially for off-peak hours.
Why no mention of sh*tty job growth in the city, especially downtown, the hub of RTA's system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland