Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2018, 06:50 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times

Advertisements

So if Columbus or Pittsburgh gets it, is this a good or bad thing for Cleveland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 08:10 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
So if Columbus or Pittsburgh gets it, is this a good or bad thing for Cleveland?
I don’t think it would be any worse than it would be for any other city that didn’t make the cut. And that’s a lot of cities. Sometimes it’s a situation of wishing too hard for something because you just might get it. Bringing a large company to a city can be a really great thing but people shouldn’t take it too hard not winning it because there can be drawbacks too. If too many concessions are made in order to get that business, if the jobs aren’t going to be all that great, if the company is going to create problems not having existed before etc. it might not turn out to have been as good a deal as it first seemed to be.

I am not saying this would have happened for Cleveland or any other city that didn’t get Amazon but it’s a possibility. So I wouldn’t cry too hard over the loss. I think we are moving ahead as well as we can and this is just one avenue that was tried. It’s not as if it were a major setback and Clevelanders shouldn’t take it as any more as one than any other city that didn’t make the final twenty.

I think it’s great that a city in our state did.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:13 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,453,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
What city doesn't get residents' complaints about snow removal?
It was a Friday storm and a large percentage of the streets hadn't seen a plow by Wednesday. Columbus was hoping to reopen schools by Thursday, according to the articles. Pathetic.

Such performance after five inches of snow would have warranted a revolution in a Greater Cleveland community.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:02 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,948,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
It was a Friday storm and a large percentage of the streets hadn't seen a plow by Wednesday. Columbus was hoping to reopen schools by Thursday, according to the articles. Pathetic.

Such performance after five inches of snow would have warranted a revolution in a Greater Cleveland community.
OK, so is this related to how Columbus might deal with handling Amazon HQ2? Otherwise, jumping to snow removal upon Amazon's top 20 cities release with Columbus included sounds like sour grapes.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
OK, so is this related to how Columbus might deal with handling Amazon HQ2? Otherwise, jumping to snow removal upon Amazon's top 20 cities release with Columbus included sounds like sour grapes.
You can't be this dense. Do you think Amazon wants to commit to a city in Ohio that can't handle five inches of snow? Columbus is not in southern Florida.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:14 PM

11,066 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Quote:
You can't be this dense. Do you think Amazon wants to commit to a city in Ohio that can't handle five inches of snow? Columbus is not in southern Florida.
I lived in Columbus, I honestly don't remember it being any better or worse in terms of snow removal than Boston or Cleveland. I think if snow were a major issue, they wouldn't have kept any northern city on the list. Maybe they don't intend to go north at all really, but want to see what kind of deals these cities might make to sway them. Who knows.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 01-19-2018 at 02:33 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Send your concerns to the Amazon experts. If Amazon HQ2 doesn't land in Columbus, it's not because of this snow removal nonsense you served up here. Come up with something better to slam Columbus on making the Amazon top 20.

Last edited by Kamms; 01-19-2018 at 03:13 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 03:14 PM

I seriously doubt that Columbus will land Amazon's headquarters unless the State of Ohio has secretly promised Amazon a king's ransom.

By comparison, Newark, with one of the best airports in the U.S., has offered up $7 billion of tax credits.

If Amazon HQ2 lands in Newark, $7 billion in tax credits are waiting

However, I would be disappointed if Amazon wasn't monitoring the news media for its 20 finalist cities, and stories about snow removal woes in Columbus would not make for a good impression.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I lived in Columbus, I honestly don't remember it being any better or worse in terms of snow removal than Boston or Cleveland. I think if snow were a major issue, they wouldn't have kept any northern city on the list. Maybe they don't intend to go north at all really, but want to see what kind of deals these cities might make to sway them. Who knows.
And I know several ex-Clevelanders who live in Columbus, and they would find any comparison of snow removal in Columbus favorably with Greater Cleveland as laughable.

In fact, I wrote my initial comment after speaking with an ex-Clevelander, who derisively said "you've got to be kidding," when I asked if his roads had been plowed yet as of Wednesday afternoon.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I seriously doubt that Columbus will land Amazon's headquarters unless the State of Ohio has secretly promised Amazon a king's ransom.

By comparison, Newark, with one of the best airports in the U.S., has offered up $7 billion of tax credits.

If Amazon HQ2 lands in Newark, $7 billion in tax credits are waiting

However, I would be disappointed if Amazon wasn't monitoring the news media for its 20 finalist cities, and stories about snow removal woes in Columbus would not make for a good impression.
LOL...monitoring snow removal in Columbus OH. Amazon: lots of residents' complaints about their streets not being cleared quickly enough; let's remove Columbus from the list. So ridiculous.

Every snow city I've lived in has the same local story, year after year, snowfall after snowfall. Then the race issue of course gets worked into it in places like Cleveland; but Cleveland doesn't need to worry about Amazon monitoring its news stories.

Then again, maybe Amazon monitored Frank Jackson's hiring the wife-beating judge and eliminated CLE from the list. This is more indicative of the local political and general culture of a city than complaints about snow removal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland