Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2018, 03:36 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,946,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Yet Columbus can't deal with 5 inches of snow within FIVE days? Again, pathetic. It reflects negatively on Columbus regardless of your equivocations (you said Greater Cleveland had similar snow removal problems, but haven't been able to back up that claim). Unfortunately, the storm and snow removal problems occurred just as Amazon was announcing its 20 finalists. It would be hard to imagine that Amazon wasn't monitoring reactions in the local media, and likely noticed the snow removal issue.

Pretending that Columbus snow probability is little different than the likes of Atlanta is preposterous.

Says you, who originally claimed the problems were no different than the snow removal issue in Greater Cleveland.

Yet Case Western, despite its much smaller enrollment than Ohio State, ranks only one notch below Ohio State as a national research university. And Cleveland has great chomps as a health industry tech center.

https://www.bestcollegereviews.org/t...h-universities

The IBM Explorys ("IBM Watson Health Cloud") is headquartered in Cleveland.

Cleveland Clinic-IBM Watson collaboration highlighted at Medical Innovation Summit | cleveland.com

Hyland Software is one of the fastest growing software firms in the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyland_Software

We don't know how Cleveland's bid compared with that of Columbus. It's a sad commentary in Ohio that Kasich and the Republicans have created the secretive Jobs Ohio to dole out incentives. It wouldn't surprise me if Cleveland was on the short end of the state's incentive offerings.

It would be interesting to document the difference in Greater Cleveland's tech industry versus Columbus. You haven't done so, merely stated your unsubstantiated opinions, often questionable, such as your diminishing Case Western's prominence as a research university.
I do agree that Cleveland gets the State of Ohio shaft as much as possible; Gov. James Rhodes hated Cleveland and NEO. Being a Jackson County OH native steeped in Republican country, Rhodes relocated to Columbus after attending OSU and as Governor, focused on Columbus as much as possible. Of course anytime I mention that this anti-Cleveland sentiment outside of NEO, I'm ridiculed by Cincinnati and Columbus boosters, but it is true.

Despite this, Columbus is considered to be a high-growth city of the future. Attracting almost 10,000 new residents a year recently certainly confirms this.

As for affirming Columbus standing: people are moving there and it made Amazon top 20 list. Cleveland: people are moving away and it didn't make Amazon top 20 list. Is it a be-all-end-all not making the Amazon top 20? No, but it should remind Cleveland that, despite turning itself into a tourist/visitor attraction (rightfully so) it still has a long-road ahead to compete in today's national and global economy.

Last edited by Kamms; 01-20-2018 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 04:28 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,930 times
Yup... Cleveland and Cincinnati both got shown the door on this one, while Columbus gets to dance on - so it's obligatory that we confront the possible reasons why. (for example, the ones already mentioned above)

However, consider a more intriguing reason that might be added to the mix. Of the 20 finalists, excluding NYC's exurb Newark, there are seven mid-sized cities: Austin, Columbus, Denver, Indianapolis, Nashville, Pittsburgh and Raleigh. Then remove Pittsburgh and what's left? Six capital cities. Is this merely a coincidence or does Amazon have ulterior motives for their inclusion?

Old 01-20-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Yup... Cleveland and Cincinnati both got shown the door on this one, while Columbus gets to dance on - so it's obligatory that we confront the possible reasons why. (for example, the ones already mentioned above)

However, consider a more intriguing reason that might be added to the mix. Of the 20 finalists, excluding NYC's exurb Newark, there are seven mid-sized cities: Austin, Columbus, Denver, Indianapolis, Nashville, Pittsburgh and Raleigh. Then remove Pittsburgh and what's left? Six capital cities. Is this merely a coincidence or does Amazon have ulterior motives for their inclusion?
Answer: Coincidence

However, these capital cities definitely have an advantage for state business, thereby spurring at least some of the tech related economic growth. Raleigh, Columbus and Austin have large state universities in while Raleigh, part of the Research Triangle, has UNC close-by. Denver and are the largest cities in their respective states because they are the capital cities with no real intra-state competition while Nashville is emerging and taking over Memphis.

The surprise not making the list as well cities are Minneapolis, Charlotte, and Houston.

Last edited by Kamms; 01-20-2018 at 04:49 PM..

Old 01-20-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:

Any reason why you only pop (yet again) into the Cleveland Amazon thread to share your views? Why not in the "Amazon takes a pass on Cincy'' thread in the Cincy forum?

Wait, I know why...lol

Old 01-21-2018, 03:00 AM

^
(1) I haven't said or inferred anything negative about Cleveland in particular.

(2) I participated in this discussion for the same reasons that you, living in Philadelphia, joined the conversation - it's interesting and informative; in my case, more so than a similar one on the Cincinnati forum.

(3) It's not your job to censor the comments, much less the motives, of other forum members. That is the sole job of a moderator, which you are not.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
^
(1) I haven't said or inferred anything negative about Cleveland in particular.

(2) I participated in this discussion for the same reasons that you, living in Philadelphia, joined the conversation - it's interesting and informative; in my case, more so than a similar one on the Cincinnati forum.

(3) It's not your job to censor the comments, much less the motives, of other forum members. That is the sole job of a moderator, which you are not.
I don't care if you chime in here but you didn't at all in the ''Amazon takes a pass on Cincy'' thread. Thought maybe it's because you are always updating only good news in Cincy forum, which is fine, but to take a pass on sharing your views in the Cincy thread and share those in Cleveland is interesting, yet consistent with your pattern.

I mean it's not like you have a history of gloating when Cleveland gets bad news or is reported in a bad light.

I do see your point given that there was no Amazon thread in Cincy only a thread about losing Amazon, but you didn't feel the need to explain that to your fellow Cincinnatians, most likely because your Cincy spin machine needs some grease after Amazon passed on your town.

It's all good, just funny though.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Of course Cleveland's mayoral election had nothing to do with Amazon; it was only used as a counter example to the ridiculous notion that Columbus snow removal would be an issue for Amazon naming Columbus in its top 20 list. Plus the ''news monitoring'' idea from a certain poster here...maybe follow the the thread a bit closer?
I will qualify this response to add that Amazon does consider the local political stability and culture. I said Amazon has to know that it can deal with local government in a constructive and progressive manner. Many ofo Cleveland's local politicians are stuck in the 1970s, only difference between then and now is the loss of a few 100,000s local middle class residents, and a huge jump in poverty rates.

In Cleveland, Amazon would have to deal with anti-progress politicians in the city trying to hold onto their fiefdoms and deal with characters like future mayor Zach Reed, who, despite wearing trendy glasses and flashy suits, is otherwise inept (also known as out of his league in a 21st Century economy).

Not saying that this is the only reason, but Cleveland didn't many points for its local political scene; most likely points were deducted for it.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:20 PM

[quote=motorman;50763725]Yup... Cleveland and Cincinnati both got shown the door on this one, while Columbus gets to dance on - so it's obligatory that we confront the possible reasons why. (for example, the ones already mentioned above)

However, consider a more intriguing reason that might be added to the mix. Of the 20 finalists, excluding NYC's exurb Newark, there are seven mid-sized cities: Austin, Columbus, Denver, Indianapolis, Nashville, Pittsburgh and Raleigh. Then remove Pittsburgh and what's left? Six capital cities. Is this merely a coincidence or does Amazon have ulterior motives for their inclusion? [/QUOTE

Cincinnati didn't exactly seem excited about landing Amazon, so there's the factor of ''we aren't gonna win'' mentality. Cincinnati did seem to perk-up a bit when its downtown Macy's announced its closing; boosters thinking that Amazon would swoop in and take it as part of its HQ2.

Another poster brought up Columbus snow removal. If, in fact, things like this are weighed by an Amazon type company, then the Cincinnati Streetcar debacle is way more a sign of local dysfunction than slow snow removal.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I don't care if you chime in here but you didn't at all in the ''Amazon takes a pass on Cincy'' thread. Thought maybe it's because you are always updating only good news in Cincy forum, which is fine, but to take a pass on sharing your views in the Cincy thread and share those in Cleveland is interesting, yet consistent with your pattern.

I mean it's not like you have a history of gloating when Cleveland gets bad news or is reported in a bad light.

I do see your point given that there was no Amazon thread in Cincy only a thread about losing Amazon, but you didn't feel the need to explain that to your fellow Cincinnatians, most likely because your Cincy spin machine needs some grease after Amazon passed on your town.

It's all good, just funny though.
I thought I made it clear that what I do, why I'm doing it and where I'm doing it is none of your business.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I thought I made it clear that what I do, why I'm doing it and where I'm doing it is none of your business.
You can do what you want, but it's still funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland