Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2022, 05:40 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
The RTA station? I stopped there earlier this summer and wasn't impressed. The stop's signage was falling apart, and the eastern exit's stairs up to Madison were kind of a mess. Also only one bench for the entire stop at rail level, if I remember right.

Granted I didn't go into the station building itself.

I did notice a good bit of residential construction work going on and around W58th. Mostly closer to the RTA stop than to Gordon Square, to my surprise.
The RTA station there feels incredibly shady. Too many RTA stations feel this way- too quiet, unsafe, neglected. Wonder what a difference it would make if such stations were just touched up and staffed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 06:19 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,044,183 times
I said this probably 5 years ago, and it has yet to happen, but I'll state it again. I think the W. Blvd - Cudell Rapid Station is prime for TOD. Its so close to the Edgewater neighborhood, Detroit Ave, Madison Ave. Much of the real estate is still very reasonable and it has a decent amount of crime. That last point is a bit facetious, but the point is if you could clean up the crime, paint the perception of safety, I think it would be worthy of high rise development with its Lake access, highway access (well, Shoreway), rapid access, and overall entertainment options.

Its definitely not there yet, but someday...

Old 09-13-2022, 07:48 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The RTA station there feels incredibly shady. Too many RTA stations feel this way- too quiet, unsafe, neglected.
I'd personally use the stop again, but I would have trouble recommending it to say my mom.

There is definitely room for improvement, but the layout means there is only so much that can be done. It's a narrow center platform, so there's not really much of an escape path and you can't tell people are coming until they are there. The stairs and pedestrian bridge are pretty narrow as well.

I was the only person there the whole time and it definitely has an isolated and desolate vibe, so it's easy to imagine being a victim of wrong place, wrong time.

Even the turn from the sidewalk of W65th to get access to the stairs on Madison is an uncomfortable blind corner due to all of the overgrowth. A city crew could improve that in a couple of hours.

Quote:
Wonder what a difference it would make if such stations were just touched up and staffed?
It would be huge. One thing about rust belt living, it gets tiring always wondering why we can't have nice things.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I'd personally use the stop again, but I would have trouble recommending it to say my mom.

There is definitely room for improvement, but the layout means there is only so much that can be done. It's a narrow center platform, so there's not really much of an escape path and you can't tell people are coming until they are there. The stairs and pedestrian bridge are pretty narrow as well.

I was the only person there the whole time and it definitely has an isolated and desolate vibe, so it's easy to imagine being a victim of wrong place, wrong time.

Even the turn from the sidewalk of W65th to get access to the stairs on Madison is an uncomfortable blind corner due to all of the overgrowth. A city crew could improve that in a couple of hours.

It would be huge. One thing about rust belt living, it gets tiring always wondering why we can't have nice things.
Hard to watch our sports teams get all kinds of money to build shiny new toys while every day people have to put up with post apocalyptic public transit stations, among many other less than adequate things.

I remember I was at the E 105-Quincy Station last year on the red line. It was just me, at like 9 pm, until osme guy came down and sat at the bench next to mine and pulled out a knife... and started using it to remove dirt from his finger nails. Dude was generally very dirty. I mean nothing happened. But I'm not telling my girlfriend to take public transit except during the day and to well populated areas.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:08 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,235,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I said this probably 5 years ago, and it has yet to happen, but I'll state it again. I think the W. Blvd - Cudell Rapid Station is prime for TOD. Its so close to the Edgewater neighborhood, Detroit Ave, Madison Ave. Much of the real estate is still very reasonable and it has a decent amount of crime. That last point is a bit facetious, but the point is if you could clean up the crime, paint the perception of safety, I think it would be worthy of high rise development with its Lake access, highway access (well, Shoreway), rapid access, and overall entertainment options.

Its definitely not there yet, but someday...
I think it's coming too, but man it's been slow. Those apartment buildings a block east on West Blvd at the Detroit intersection are just too rough right now and have been for decades now, despite the beautiful homes north of them.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:25 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,108,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Hard to watch our sports teams get all kinds of money to build shiny new toys while every day people have to put up with post apocalyptic public transit stations, among many other less than adequate things.

I remember I was at the E 105-Quincy Station last year on the red line. It was just me, at like 9 pm, until osme guy came down and sat at the bench next to mine and pulled out a knife... and started using it to remove dirt from his finger nails. Dude was generally very dirty. I mean nothing happened. But I'm not telling my girlfriend to take public transit except during the day and to well populated areas.
All these comments should really be in the Transit thread, but so be it...

It is really time that everybody who regularly uses RTA, or is at least interested in it, like me, speak out about RTA's near total lack of sensible security (email, in person (or on the phone) at the monthly RTA meetings, etc.)... As I've long noted, RTA's deployment of its transit police is completely nonsensical. Outer stations, even those in popular and questionable areas, are usually totally unmanned. Transit cops never ride the trains, ... except to get to 55th street and their cars. Meanwhile, RTA stations a bunch of cops in ... Tower City! Which is the busiest and safest rail station in the network, aided by the fact it is manned during the rail network's working hours and is the system's only station with swipe-in, swipe-out turnstiles. Often transit cops can be seen helping riders properly swipe their farecards... This is what RTA security is there for??

If we don't address this kind of stupidity while instead merely griping about it to friends and on online forums like C-D, it will continue to be ignored by RTA brass.

Old 09-18-2022, 11:12 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,044,183 times
Nice article in Forbes:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chaddsc...ZCHFafV7jOQTbI

Old 09-18-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Nope just ask the city vs city forum; arts only count unless it’s the Midwest, in which case you’re cherry picking.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:42 AM

469 posts, read 434,670 times
Quote:
The FRONT arts initiative looks compelling. Hope it really takes off!

Do you guys get tired of the passively condescending tone toward Cleveland from writers like this? No fewer than four utterances of “don’t scoff…” or “who’s scoffing now…” etc. Really detracts from the content of the article.

No person who knows even the very basics of Cleveland’s art scene would scoff at an initiative like this.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:50 AM

4,537 posts, read 5,108,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
The FRONT arts initiative looks compelling. Hope it really takes off!

Do you guys get tired of the passively condescending tone toward Cleveland from writers like this? No fewer than four utterances of “don’t scoff…” or “who’s scoffing now…” etc. Really detracts from the content of the article.

No person who knows even the very basics of Cleveland’s art scene would scoff at an initiative like this.
Most definitely. And we often get it in our local media. The PD has a certain architecture/development writer who does this all the time. Even when he has a positive article, it starts off and is filled with left-handed, condescending comments. And, oh btw, this writer is originally from the East Coast IIRC. This bugs me to no end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland