Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2022, 06:27 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Most definitely. And we often get it in our local media. The PD has a certain architecture/development writer who does this all the time. Even when he has a positive article, it starts off and is filled with left-handed, condescending comments. And, oh btw, this writer is originally from the East Coast IIRC. This bugs me to no end.
My pet peeve is when I'm out on business lunches (with out-of-staters), and a fellow Clevelander starts making jokes about our bad weather, how cold it is here, or how awesome some other city is. They play into stereotypes in order to start a conversation or gain acceptance within the group. How lame.

It is really great to take out-of-staters to Little Italy and Univ. Circle or Tremont or downtown and show it off. If the conversation starts to go anti-Cleveland, I usually steer it back and start talking about local real estate prices, all the trees, the 3 sports teams, how I paid off my house years ago, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 07:10 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
My pet peeve is when I'm out on business lunches (with out-of-staters), and a fellow Clevelander starts making jokes about our bad weather, how cold it is here, or how awesome some other city is. They play into stereotypes in order to start a conversation or gain acceptance within the group. How lame.

It is really great to take out-of-staters to Little Italy and Univ. Circle or Tremont or downtown and show it off. If the conversation starts to go anti-Cleveland, I usually steer it back and start talking about local real estate prices, all the trees, the 3 sports teams, how I paid off my house years ago, etc.
When a couple friends from Boston came through last summer, we hung out all day downtown and went to a game. My one friend kept exclaiming how "Cute!" everything was.

My gf lives in Columbus. She is absolutely amazed we have a train system. She loves how there are so many walkable areas, even outside the central areas.

I was at an event with Bishop Milesic the other day. When asked about what he likes about Cleveland, he quickly responded that he can walk to Playhouse Square. Coming from Harrisburg, he would do the drive to NYC 3.5 hours to get his live theater/musical fix.

People who haven't been poisoned by Cleveland jokes actually have a lot of nice things to say.

Old 09-23-2022, 05:35 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Aer Lingus expected to launch nonstop service from Cleveland to Dublin, with $600,000 incentive from the city

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...4nH1hyHwzQ6HWc

Flights to Europe from CLE are back (If you consider Ireland "Europe" )

Old 09-23-2022, 07:12 AM

469 posts, read 434,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Aer Lingus expected to launch nonstop service from Cleveland to Dublin, with $600,000 incentive from the city

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...4nH1hyHwzQ6HWc

Flights to Europe from CLE are back (If you consider Ireland "Europe" )
This would be great! Looking forward to further specifics…timing etc.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:58 AM

9 posts, read 3,834 times
Timings and dates have been posted. Starts May 19, 2023. 4x weekly. Go down to News at https://www.centerforcleveland.org/cleveland.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:36 AM

9 posts, read 3,834 times
Something to be announced:

Forbes to reveal 'new opportunity coming soon to Ohio' with 11 a.m. announcement at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland

11:00 today (Oct 5).

Old 10-05-2022, 12:45 PM

1,026 posts, read 447,593 times
Well, here's the underwhelming big news:

''Forbes will hold its flagship annual #Under30Summit in Ohio through 2025, recognizing OH's impressive community of entrepreneurs and innovators. Presented by @JobsOhio, it will take place in 3 OH cities over the next 3 years – starting in Cleveland!''

"impressive community of entrepreneurs and innovators'' in the MAGA Red State of Ohio? Something is not adding up here....

Sounds like another Cleveland Rising thing, with some ''celebrities''.

Bibb needs to land a big corporate relocation or job expansion in CLE, enough with these 'summits''. They don't hurt but CLE gets 1 of the 3 years of this event, CIN and COL of course get the other years. I guess it's a CLE score given that CLE gets year 1?

The pre-announcement speculation was off the charts...Forbes relocating jobs to CLE etc...first hint this was going to be underwhelming...Lt Gov was the pre-announced top state official to be in attendance today.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:53 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post

To me, that seems pretty high school level. It's like the nerd or the geek trying hard to get in with the popular kids by putting themselves down. I always felt that some Clevelanders really have that mindset. Some feel as if they're not cool or what the in-crowd if you like Cleveland or cities similar to it. There are some who still think that if go out of town and tell people that you're from Cleveland. You will get laughed at and that's not the case. In my traveling experiences most people never thought about it, told me they've been there or ran into Cleveland expats who still love the city.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:28 AM

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...ter-video.html

Update on Sherwin Williams downtown HQ building and R&D facility in Brecksville.

Old 10-07-2022, 08:08 AM

https://neo-trans.blog/2022/10/06/wi...pretty-bunker/

Good article from neo-trans on downtown landscaping and gardens around the SH-W tower. It's not bad but as some in the article noted it could use some improvements including benches. Apparently the corporate elites are worried about homeless people sleeping on benches. Always sad to see how little these guys understand about quality urban design where many different types of people must live together and how beneficial that is for the entire community and society as a whole. Some of these corporate guys couldn't design an urban park to save their Hunting Valley estate. Nonetheless kudos to SHW for their commitment to downtown Cleveland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland