Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2022, 01:55 PM

869 posts, read 1,278,963 times

Advertisements

Found a really good summary of new projects in Cleveland - check it out!

https://www.centerforcleveland.org/current-cle-projects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 02:30 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,044,183 times
CCF update, $1.3B is a pretty good investment

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2022/...cleveland.html

Old 05-13-2022, 04:19 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,446,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
CCF update, $1.3B is a pretty good investment

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2022/...cleveland.html

Wow!

<<To help make way for one of the biggest projects, a new, 1-million-square-foot Neurological Institute between East 86th Street and East 90th Street on its main campus in Cleveland, the Clinic said it would demolish the historic Cleveland Play House complex at East 85th Street and Euclid Avenue.

The Play House includes the theater’s original 1926 building and a 1983 expansion designed by architect Philip Johnson, a Cleveland native who became one of America’s most important 20th-century architects.>>

It will be interesting to see how much pushback results from this decision. Lots of memories are rooted in that complex among older Clevelanders.

I don't know if it would be practical, but I always wondered if the massive Play House campus couldn't be the home for some museum, such as a Rock Hall overflow or general music museum. Such a music museum could put the theaters to good use.

It's not like there is a shortage of available land in Hough.

The Clinic expansions will continue to power the Greater University Circle job market, a consideration which will likely result in little or no challenge to the demolition of the Play House campus.

<<The new projects announced by the Clinic will be funded in large part by philanthropy, and will add more than 2,000 indirect and 7,500 direct jobs, the institution said.>>

Thanks for posting the article!

Old 05-13-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Wow!

<<To help make way for one of the biggest projects, a new, 1-million-square-foot Neurological Institute between East 86th Street and East 90th Street on its main campus in Cleveland, the Clinic said it would demolish the historic Cleveland Play House complex at East 85th Street and Euclid Avenue.

The Play House includes the theater’s original 1926 building and a 1983 expansion designed by architect Philip Johnson, a Cleveland native who became one of America’s most important 20th-century architects.>>

It will be interesting to see how much pushback results from this decision. Lots of memories are rooted in that complex among older Clevelanders.

I don't know if it would be practical, but I always wondered if the massive Play House campus couldn't be the home for some museum, such as a Rock Hall overflow or general music museum. Such a music museum could put the theaters to good use.

It's not like there is a shortage of available land in Hough.

The Clinic expansions will continue to power the Greater University Circle job market, a consideration which will likely result in little or no challenge to the demolition of the Play House campus.

<<The new projects announced by the Clinic will be funded in large part by philanthropy, and will add more than 2,000 indirect and 7,500 direct jobs, the institution said.>>

Thanks for posting the article!
You probably remember when the old Cleveland Center for Contemporary Art was also in that Playhouse building. I know it has architectural significance, but I think it is time for it to go to CCF for demo and development. It was a good long term move for the Contemporary Art museum (now MOCA) to go to artsy museum center of Cleveland where it is now, and for the Cleveland Playhouse to move to Playhouse Square. Those two moves strengthen those two districts - considerably.

On another note, UC is really starting to get some synergy with the high rise apartments, the TOD in Little Italy, and the CCF expansion. All the more impressive.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:55 PM

little update:
https://www.cleveland.com/news/2022/...0-million.html

Old 05-18-2022, 08:58 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
Breathing new life into the old Sokolowski’s restaurant site in Cleveland
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...e-in-cleveland

Quote:
The plan is to get rid of the former restaurant and build, in its place, a 6-story apartment complex that has a public 2nd-story terrace overlooking the Towpath.

“We are creating a cascading terrace that includes and enhances that aspect that will allow for small,160-square-foot small retail and restaurants so that you can kind of have a modern-day cafeteria, modern-day food truck but it’s stationary. Sokowloski’s, the history there, it transformed to being a cafeteria-style restaurant in 1950. This is a modern play of a cafeteria in an outdoor environment,” said Brandon Kline.
I think this is a great use of the land and better for the neighborhood than just another restaurant.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Breathing new life into the old Sokolowski’s restaurant site in Cleveland
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...e-in-cleveland

I think this is a great use of the land and better for the neighborhood than just another restaurant.

While the design model for the proposed building shown in the video is novel, I didn't see any parking, nor was that issue discussed in the article. Parking often was an issue at Sokolowski's even though it had its own small parking lot. It's unlikely the parking issue will be ignored as the project proceeds through the regulatory process. I also wonder if there is height limit for Tremont construction.

Towpath traffic alone seems unlikely to support the retail establishments, especially in colder months. Who will visit these pocket-sized, stationary restaurants in December, January, etc., if there is little or no inside seating?

It perplexes me that the development described is economic given the likely $1-2 million, perhaps more, cost of the property including demolition and site preparation. Paying over $1 million for the land and building made some sense, but demolishing the building and rebuilding boggles my mind somewhat.

https://www.cleveland.com/realestate...etermined.html

If tear-down economics are this robust in Cleveland, the city may be transformed in coming years.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-18-2022 at 11:44 AM..

Old 05-18-2022, 11:51 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
While the design model for the proposed building shown in the video is novel, I didn't see any parking, nor was that issue discussed in the article. Parking often was an issue at Sokolowski's even though it had its own small parking lot. It's unlikely the parking issue will be ignored as the project proceeds through the regulatory process. I also wonder if there is height limit for Tremont construction.

Towpath traffic alone seems unlikely to support the retail establishments, especially in colder months. Who will visit these pocket-sized, stationary restaurants in December, January, etc., if there is little or no inside seating?

It perplexes me that the development described is economic given the likely $1-2 million, perhaps more, cost of the property including demolition and site preparation. Paying over $1 million for the land and building made some sense, but demolishing the building and rebuilding boggles my mind somewhat.

https://www.cleveland.com/realestate...etermined.html

If tear-down economics are this robust in Cleveland, the city may be transformed in coming years.
My anti-parking views are well known, so I won't get into it, but suffice to say, this is for the neighborhood and as such it is an improvement. Developing land for the people who live there is always the best decision. Of course, Tremont residents will patronize such establishments, as they do the rest of Tremont despite alleged parking problems.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:50 PM

Like any restaurant/retail, it will need market tested. But it is a good idea, a different idea, and worthy of investment and market test, IMO. There is decent parking underneath the bridge, BTW.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
My anti-parking views are well known, so I won't get into it, but suffice to say, this is for the neighborhood and as such it is an improvement. Developing land for the people who live there is always the best decision. Of course, Tremont residents will patronize such establishments, as they do the rest of Tremont despite alleged parking problems.

Sokolowski's is far off the beaten path in Tremont. Given all of the other options in Tremont, I wonder how much the locals will patronize that complex AFTER the novelty has warn off, especially in the winter.

Like Sokolowski's, to be a success, my hunch is that the project will have to be a destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland