Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2021, 07:48 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times

Advertisements

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2021/...weA6ZUI6NHKucc

No Rapid to Browns stadium; RTA suspends Waterfront Line service indefinitely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 07:41 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,108,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
https://www.cleveland.com/news/2021/...weA6ZUI6NHKucc

No Rapid to Browns stadium; RTA suspends Waterfront Line service indefinitely
Yeah, this sucks. I have a lot of questions for RTA about this... ie:

1. If they knew about this way back in 2018, why was it not addressed then? Running 1-train at a time over the bridge was clearly a stopgap.

2. Why should it take 2 whole years to shore up this bridge when it took around 2 years to build the entire Waterfront Line system (1994-96)? I believe they broke ground in 1994 and work included the difficult Tower City connection, building the curving embankment leading to the bridge on both ends, and reconfiguring the narrow streets in the area of the Waterfront Rapid line, itself.

3. Why is RTA just now disclosing this bridge problem when, ever since last year (fall 2020), they said the line was closed due to "track work" ... of the type they were completing on other parts of the Rapid system?

Old 09-12-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post

1. If they knew about this way back in 2018, why was it not addressed then? Running 1-train at a time over the bridge was clearly a stopgap.

2. Why should it take 2 whole years to shore up this bridge when it took around 2 years to build the entire Waterfront Line system (1994-96)? I believe they broke ground in 1994 and work included the difficult Tower City connection, building the curving embankment leading to the bridge on both ends, and reconfiguring the narrow streets in the area of the Waterfront Rapid line, itself.

3. Why is RTA just now disclosing this bridge problem when, ever since last year (fall 2020), they said the line was closed due to "track work" ... of the type they were completing on other parts of the Rapid system?

So many dropped balls at RTA over the years... hard to even know where to begin.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:52 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:

Prof is back after an absence of 7 months!!!

I guess we need more posts about RTA screw-ups to keep him interested in the forum! Just glad he wasn't a victim of the COVID epidemic.

Does anybody know what happened to Watertiger? Sadly, nobody is following NEOtrans very well in his absence.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:46 AM

Default Bolivar mixed-use development; ballpark village?

This is a very interesting article. Not only does it discuss a proposed addition of a mixed-use project with a new building of about 273,000 square feet, but it discusses new ownership groups for the Guardians and the possibility of the development of a ballpark village.

<<New York City-based real estate firm SomeraRoad is proposing a big addition to several downtown properties it acquired two years ago along Bolivar Road east of East 9th Street and Progressive Field.

According to documents submitted to the city prior to seeking conceptual approval from Cleveland City Planning Commission, SomeraRoad wants to construct a seven-story apartment building with 203 units. The project would consist of a two-level parking garage with ground-floor retail and topped by the new apartments.>>

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2021/...s-planned.html
I've resisted subscribing to cleveland.com, so I don't know if this old news:

<<Three potential groups, one local and two out-of-town, are pursuing a minority ownership stake in the Cleveland Guardians to position themselves at the front of the line to acquire the team whenever the current owner Paul Dolan decides to sell. The source declined to identify the three groups.

Major League Baseball and all three potential ownership groups are heavily pushing the proposed TIF [Tax Increment Financing] district for development, replicating the ballpark villages in Atlanta, Boston, San Diego, Washington DC and St. Louis.

Potential development sites include nuCLEus, the Caxton Building parking lot, the parking lot south of the garage City Club Apartments will use for residents' parking, Carnegie-East 9th and East 9th-Bolivar. The last site was put on the market last month by Geis Companies which is apparently hoping to catch this rising tide.>>

I wonder how long Gray's Armory can survive with all of this development planned. Located at 1234 Bolivar, Gray's sits on a very valuable piece of land. It truly is an historic edifice, one which I had the privilege of touring over a decade ago; if you ever get the chance to take a guided tour, don't turn it down! BTW, the Cleveland Grays used to march in Cleveland downtown parades with their tall, black, bearskin caps at least as late as the 1970s (I saw them march once, probably less than 20 men, likely at a St. Patrick's Day Parade).

https://graysarmory.com/programs-and-tours/

https://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/298

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grays_Armory

https://case.edu/ech/articles/c/cleveland-grays

https://graysarmory.com/the-museum/

The Armory apparently occupies the next block east of the planned Bolivar project discussed in the article.

BTW, I never thought about it, but "Grays" would have been a name worth considering to replace the "Indians," if the Dolans wanted an historic link to Cleveland's past.

Cheap surface lot parking for Indians games is located on Prospect Ave. east of East 14th St., and Bolivar Road is the quickest route to Progressive Field. Perhaps because of the presence of Gray's Armory, I always enjoyed the walk. Gray's used to have a canteen for snacks before Indians Opening Day games. I wonder if that tradition still continues today.

Wurlitzer theater pipe organ concerts still take place in the Armory's drill hall.

https://graysarmory.com/the-organ/

Old 09-13-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Prof is back after an absence of 7 months!!!

I guess we need more posts about RTA screw-ups to keep him interested in the forum! Just glad he wasn't a victim of the COVID epidemic.

Does anybody know what happened to Watertiger? Sadly, nobody is following NEOtrans very well in his absence.
RTA screw-ups ... and Cleveland progress.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:31 AM

Was walking over by the INTRO apt construction in Ohio City this past (beautiful) weekend -- that thing is huge and will be a game-changer for an already rapidly strengthing neighborhood... meanwhile, the Waterford Bluffs apts, on the other side of the Rapid station, are steadily rising. Though not as massive as INTRO, WB is still substantial and will be a welcome gateway to Market Square than the barren bleakness that was there...

... meanwhile, over in Hingetown, I had my first up-close experience with the Church & State apt towers -- we dined at the Saucy Brew Works pizzeria brewhouse. I was blown away by these towers. Their modular cube construction was new to Cleveland and the gray-black & white towering cubes are striking and contrast beautifully with the freestyle colorful artwork at the base. The State building is happily flush and crowds the Detroit Ave sidewalk. Church is a bit set back but opens into a wonderful diagonal pathway into an open courtyard with a fanciful adult teeter-totter and benches, and then continues to an opening on Church Ave facing the "Vibe" adult playground/picnic area. Meanwhile, back on Detroit, the rehabbed, white-painted Victorian block has an upscale salon whose large glass windows enliven the street.

... and then there's The Dexter and a slew of in-fill small and large multi-unit apt buildings popping up throughout OC. The neighborhood is transforming before our eyes and is beginning to fuzz the border with Detroit-Shoreway/Gordon Square. This neighborhood now stands second to few in the country in terms of sidewalk buzz/excitement, foodie-ness, walkability/transit access, increasing population and fascinating architecture.

... and it's only getting better.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:31 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
Closing a rail line in this day and age is terrible optics, especially for a city that already suffers from a bad reputation. Honestly it reflects poorly on the state even.

RTA should have this ready to go as part of the new federal infrastructure bill.

What other cities have shut down rail service in recent history? Pittsburgh dropped the brown line 5-10 years ago. Any other examples? So many cties are adding rail right now. It's embarrassing for Cleveland to be cutting it.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Was walking over by the INTRO apt construction in Ohio City this past (beautiful) weekend -- that thing is huge and will be a game-changer for an already rapidly strengthing neighborhood... meanwhile, the Waterford Bluffs apts, on the other side of the Rapid station, are steadily rising. Though not as massive as INTRO, WB is still substantial and will be a welcome gateway to Market Square than the barren bleakness that was there...

... meanwhile, over in Hingetown, I had my first up-close experience with the Church & State apt towers -- we dined at the Saucy Brew Works pizzeria brewhouse. I was blown away by these towers. Their modular cube construction was new to Cleveland and the gray-black & white towering cubes are striking and contrast beautifully with the freestyle colorful artwork at the base. The State building is happily flush and crowds the Detroit Ave sidewalk. Church is a bit set back but opens into a wonderful diagonal pathway into an open courtyard with a fanciful adult teeter-totter and benches, and then continues to an opening on Church Ave facing the "Vibe" adult playground/picnic area. Meanwhile, back on Detroit, the rehabbed, white-painted Victorian block has an upscale salon whose large glass windows enliven the street.

... and then there's The Dexter and a slew of in-fill small and large multi-unit apt buildings popping up throughout OC. The neighborhood is transforming before our eyes and is beginning to fuzz the border with Detroit-Shoreway/Gordon Square. This neighborhood now stands second to few in the country in terms of sidewalk buzz/excitement, foodie-ness, walkability/transit access, increasing population and fascinating architecture.

... and it's only getting better.
Unbelievably, even after 7 months, I can't give you any rep, but this is what we've missed so badly!

Thanks for posting!!!

Old 09-13-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Closing a rail line in this day and age is terrible optics, especially for a city that already suffers from a bad reputation. Honestly it reflects poorly on the state even.

RTA should have this ready to go as part of the new federal infrastructure bill.

What other cities have shut down rail service in recent history? Pittsburgh dropped the brown line 5-10 years ago. Any other examples? So many cties are adding rail right now. It's embarrassing for Cleveland to be cutting it.
To be fair, they aren't exactly scrapping it altogether, they just need to do so much work on it, it's going to be out for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland