Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2021, 09:32 AM

201 posts, read 238,158 times

Advertisements

https://www.cleveland.com/travel/202...advocates.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 07:20 PM

210 posts, read 174,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Burke is really important for the big Downtown corporations so I doubt you'll ever see anything done w/ it.
A new Browns stadium south of Progressive Field would be awesome...free up that whole part of the lakefront and get the malls extended over the RR tracks and freeway.

I SO disagree with this. The airport benefits a small number of big corporations, while there are empty runways and terminal at Hopkins. I know the FAA would have to approve (or the Daley ghost would need to appear) but man, that's whole lotta space that be put to much better use.

Boston focused on the cleaning up the Harbor and developing a pedestrian friendly waterfront 40 years ago, and it has completely transformed the city and the abutting suburbs (East Boston in particular). CLE has a MASSIVE opportunity, particularly with the Browns musing about relocating, to transform the city. They can do this by sensitively developing the waterfront with a mix of parks, retail and residential. Yes, some pedestrian bridges over the highway would need built, but again, it can be done. Boston has a series of them linking the 2 most expensive sections of Downtown to the Charles River and the Esplanade (park). And they are in use 24/7/365.

Think I'm nuts? Go back and read up on Boston in the 1960s-1980s...and now. It can be done, it just needs visionary leadership, an unshakeable plan and some seed $$. Developers will do the rest. And trust me, downtown businesses will eventually get on board when they see their recruiting pool increase due to the influx of professionals who flock to metro Cleveland for a vibrant downtown.

My 5 cents

Last edited by TechieTechie; 03-27-2021 at 07:33 PM..

Old 03-28-2021, 02:06 PM

201 posts, read 238,158 times
Default Critics Want Cleveland to Replace Zoning Code Pertinent to Townhouses

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2021/...ot-houses.html

Old 03-28-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_j_planning View Post

This is interesting. I'm torn between:

1. Allowing neighbors to have a say in design would actually kill the developer's ability to build (because the process is SO drawn out by neighbors not wanting ANY development or want the porches blue, not white)

2. Allowing neighbors to have a say in design would actually ensure developed properties aren't butt ugly

Though, I wonder, if the code wasn't more specific on what's allowed/not allowed (and things like setbacks are enforced) that a neighborhood design review wouldn't be necessary.

Wonder what other cities are doing this well...Allowing enough development (thru clear and not overly burdensome code) to help drive residents to neighborhoods while keeping the housing stock reasonably attractive. Also wonder why the city's not taking up the AIA's offer to help redefine the codes....that seems like a win win.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:34 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
I SO disagree with this. The airport benefits a small number of big corporations, while there are empty runways and terminal at Hopkins. I know the FAA would have to approve (or the Daley ghost would need to appear) but man, that's whole lotta space that be put to much better use.

Boston focused on the cleaning up the Harbor and developing a pedestrian friendly waterfront 40 years ago, and it has completely transformed the city and the abutting suburbs (East Boston in particular). CLE has a MASSIVE opportunity, particularly with the Browns musing about relocating, to transform the city. They can do this by sensitively developing the waterfront with a mix of parks, retail and residential. Yes, some pedestrian bridges over the highway would need built, but again, it can be done. Boston has a series of them linking the 2 most expensive sections of Downtown to the Charles River and the Esplanade (park). And they are in use 24/7/365.

Think I'm nuts? Go back and read up on Boston in the 1960s-1980s...and now. It can be done, it just needs visionary leadership, an unshakeable plan and some seed $$. Developers will do the rest. And trust me, downtown businesses will eventually get on board when they see their recruiting pool increase due to the influx of professionals who flock to metro Cleveland for a vibrant downtown.

My 5 cents
Agree. Been thinking and advocating this for many years. I think the best way to get this done is to make a compromise between business interests and the Metroparks. Build upon the synergy the metroparks has with the city in developing the lakefront and set the vision for a unified lakefront park from Edgewater to the d i k e 14 nature preserve. Some portion of Burke would have to be given up for business development (no air traffic.) Airport advocates would have to be pushed into upgrading Hopkins and the county airports. To me and many others - its a no-brainer, but unfortunately the airport has some strong business interests that command the ears of city hall.

My vision would be to move I-90 south just a bit and really open up some lakefront space. (People shun such huge extravagant expenses, yet we are making a 12-lane bridge over the valley and building out I-271 like we're LA.) There's only one thing that ODOT can do well, and that's pour concrete.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
My vision would be to move I-90 south just a bit and really open up some lakefront space. (People shun such huge extravagant expenses, yet we are making a 12-lane bridge over the valley and building out I-271 like we're LA.) There's only one thing that ODOT can do well, and that's pour concrete.

Oh, I agree. But after the disaster of the Big Dig, particularly in a less wealthy (and R) state like OH, it ain't gonna happen. Now, the removal of Boston's Central Artery really helped drive development back to downtown, but there are no studies that show the ROI. Plus, it took more than 30 years from inception to completion.

But it needs VISION. Boston's Tom Menino may have been a streetlights and garage pickup mayor (his nickname was Mumbles), but he oversaw the largest development period of the city, save maybe the early 1900s and the the city's founding.

I don't get it...it seems like Cleveland government has very few visionaries. Why is that? Or am I being overly harsh?

Old 03-29-2021, 05:55 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
I do not believe the Big Dig is actually such an unquestionable success, certainly you will find many locals that disagree. Probably one of the most corrupt projects in American history. Lots of that in Mass, actually. Still paying for it, 10s of billions of dollars, and will be for decades to come.

Old 03-29-2021, 06:32 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I do not believe the Big Dig is actually such an unquestionable success, certainly you will find many locals that disagree. Probably one of the most corrupt projects in American history. Lots of that in Mass, actually. Still paying for it, 10s of billions of dollars, and will be for decades to come.
From what I've read, the Big Dig also wasn't well built. Boston didn't have a Robert Moses running things. Although Moses favored highways, my memory is that his projects were built well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Moses

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig

Old 03-29-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

Oh, I agree, it's not an unquestionable success. Did it spur development? Yes. Was it a worthwhile investment....eh, not so sure. Was the build shoddy in places? Absolutelfreakinlutely. Did MA overpay? Absolutely. Which is why potential major thoroughfare relocation projects are going to be tainted for decades to come....that was my point.

It's too bad the BRA doesn't have a long term survey in place to study the developmental impacts of removing the Central Artery. Oh, well.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:16 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,944 times
https://www.bizjournals.com/clevelan...?ana=cleveland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland