Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 06:39 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,560,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Again with the Mannhattan stuff. Listen, Mannhattan for the most part, is yuppie central. That's were the city's biggest concentration of professionals live. When I talk about NYC, I include the outer-boroughs in my conversations. Alot of bars in Mannhattan would probably be similiar to the "trendy" nabes of Chicago. Remember, Mannhattan is only 24 sq miles of NYC's 330 sq mile city. You have to put that into context when talking about NYC. Unless you're talking about culture things like musuems and shows, than Mannhattan would basically be the entire focus.
You just have to accept that most people are only exposed to the nightlife in Manhattan - just like most people in Chicago are only exposed to the bars in the gold coast, lincoln park & wrigleyville (yuppie central). If people want to explore past the surface in either city, they might find a different scene that is more friendly and down-to-earth. How many visitors to Chicago or transplants ever check out the great bar scene on the south side at 95th & Western? Or even step foot on the south side for anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I have never partied in Charlotte, but I have a hard time believing this.
The local promoters there are better, all there is too it, they bring in better djs, better rates, different club prices, etc.. The scene in DC/Baltimore is also better. Charlotte can't compete on anything else with Chicago, but they do on this. They also have better dNb if you are into that. I wish Chicago was better trust me, it just isn't as far as those things go. Take Austin and Seattle for other music scene cities... and realize the city doesn't have to be that big for a lot to be going on. Again I'm not talking better night life... it isn't even close, just particular scenes.

Last edited by grapico; 03-23-2009 at 09:08 AM..

Old 03-23-2009, 12:01 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,117,756 times
I think you have to categorize this topic:
Big City Conference
NY Philly Boston Detroit
LA Houston San Diego Phoenix
CHI Miami Atlanta Vegas
SF Dallas DC

Mid size city Conference
Seattle Twin Cities
Cleveland Milwaukee SA
STL Denver KC
PITT Portland Columbus
Cincy Orlando Indianapolis
Charlotte VA Beach Memphis
New Orleans

Compare cities to their respect conference would make more sense, trying to compare Cleveland to NYC is like apples and bowling balls.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I think you have to categorize this topic:
Big City Conference
NY Philly Boston Detroit
LA Houston San Diego Phoenix
CHI Miami Atlanta Vegas
SF Dallas DC

Mid size city Conference
Seattle Twin Cities
Cleveland Milwaukee SA
STL Denver KC
PITT Portland Columbus
Cincy Orlando Indianapolis
Charlotte VA Beach Memphis
New Orleans

Compare cities to their respect conference would make more sense, trying to compare Cleveland to NYC is like apples and bowling balls.
I don't get it.....

Old 03-23-2009, 01:20 PM

How do you not get it? you can't compare Austin,TX to LA. So when people try to compare NYC and Seattle it just doesn't compute. I'm saying cities with a much larger population will have a better nightlife by default of just having more people so the city will feel more vibrant.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:39 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,073,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
You just have to accept that most people are only exposed to the nightlife in Manhattan - just like most people in Chicago are only exposed to the bars in the gold coast, lincoln park & wrigleyville (yuppie central). If people want to explore past the surface in either city, they might find a different scene that is more friendly and down-to-earth. How many visitors to Chicago or transplants ever check out the great bar scene on the south side at 95th & Western? Or even step foot on the south side for anything?
I agree with you when talking about "tourists"visiting either cities. But not when talking about "transplants". Have I ever drank in those places you mentioned? Ya, sure I have. But almost all of my drinking was done north of Wrigleyville. To say that there's no bars or nightlife north of there is crazy. There's bars all along Broadway up to the "Oasis" (4am bar) in Roger's Park. And bars westward til Mc'cormick Blvd.

And the scene was no more friendly. Chicago is Chicago, and NYC is NYC. They're located in different regions of the country, and the people reflect this. Chicago is Midwest, NYC is Eastcoast, BIG difference!

It almost sounds like you're trying to back pedal a little from what you were saying before and agreeing with?....

Old 03-23-2009, 01:49 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
How do you not get it? you can't compare Austin,TX to LA. So when people try to compare NYC and Seattle it just doesn't compute. I'm saying cities with a much larger population will have a better nightlife by default of just having more people so the city will feel more vibrant.
I get it, but defer that NYC should be in a conference all its own.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
On your list are you saying NYC only compares with Philly, Detroit or LA, CHI and SF or all the cities in the big cities conference???? Even than NYC stills trumps all them in size.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:59 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,560,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I agree with you when talking about "tourists"visiting either cities. But not when talking about "transplants". Have I ever drank in those places you mentioned? Ya, sure I have. But almost all of my drinking was done north of Wrigleyville. To say that there's no bars or nightlife north of there is crazy. There's bars all along Broadway up to the "Oasis" (4am bar) in Roger's Park. And bars westward til Mc'cormick Blvd.

And the scene was no more friendly. Chicago is Chicago, and NYC is NYC. They're located in different regions of the country, and the people reflect this. Chicago is Midwest, NYC is Eastcoast, BIG difference!

It almost sounds like you're trying to back pedal a little from what you were saying before and agreeing with?....
No, I'm just saying that there's a difference between the bars in more working class areas and the 'cool people' hoods. You were saying the same thing about NYC...re the outerboroughs.

I agree with your assessment just because, really, most people looking for nightlife aren't going west of Western or south of Roosevelt and people in those bars stick to their Chad & Trixie or fake urban hipster groups, or act like they're in a meat market. Though you might be able to meet more people if you're good at pool (I suck).

Old 03-23-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
On your list are you saying NYC only compares with Philly, Detroit or LA, CHI and SF or all the cities in the big cities conference???? Even than NYC stills trumps all them in size.
On second thought the only cities able to compete with NYC are Chicago and LA, so I guess in the spirit of march madness you could put those 3 in their own conference. But yeah otherwise nothing really compares to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City