Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 08:12 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Guilty as charged!..

I agree that people in Chicago are more 'real' than in SoCal. To me, it's kinda of a shame the way the social scene is in Chicago. It's almost like they suffer from the "Seattle Freeze" as well. Chicago could be everything that NYC is (albeit on a smaller scale), without the hefty price tag that goes along with NYC.

But it doesn't even come close. People just ain't outgoing in Chicago. Most the ones I met that were outgoing there, they were transpalnts themselves. To me, drinking in Chicago was a waste of time. I got tired of waking up with hangovers, and I didn't even have a good time when I was out. Boring would be the best way to describe it. And I'm a bar-hopper now. Don't think I just sat in the same bar all the time. A lot of nights I might hit 3 or 4 bars, sadly though, they all were the same....

Chicago is kinda lame considering that it's the 3rd largest city in America. And really it's the 2nd, in terms of being a cosmopolitan city. I seen surveys, where they ranked Chicago I think the "3rd best city to be single in". I never seen or felt that. Who knows though, maybe if you're a yuppie professional (I ain't), it's a lot better?...

I just don't like the Midwest now after living there. It's not the location, it's the atmosphere and people that I don't like. They're not nasty or anything, just boring if you ask me........
I don't know where the heck you get this. I don't hear from many people that Chicagoans are closed, especially in bars. I hear that Chicagoans have many conversations with random people. That's what happens to me when I got Chicago bars, although that's MY experience.

I have never seen Chicagoans or Midwesterners as reserved. I think it's the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 08:13 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,560,158 times
Quote:
It's not there ain't alot of bars in Chicago, there's definitely enough there. It's the atmosphere in those bars that are "lame". Chicago could be a great city to party in, but it ain't. I've commented on this topic before. The people in Chicago are very closed off and like to keep to themselves or the crowd they're with. Many people from Chicago agree'd with me on this.

Where as in NYC, you can walk in a bar by yourself, and people will just start bs'ing with you. They'll treat you like a 'regular'. In Chicago, sometimes you could walk into a bar with your head on fire, and nobody would say a word to you. The Midwest people are alot more reserved than the people in the East. Everything from the bar scene, to your neighbors.

Please don't try and argue this fact with me either. I've drank in WAY too many bars in Chicago, and had WAY too many apts there in different nabes, to know my perceptions are accurate.

Chicago bars, just don't have the excitement factor that alot of NYC bars have. The vibe is so different between the two cities. Not to mention the stories that Ny'ers talk about in the bars, are WAY more interesting than in Chicago. They talk about everything from running into celebrities, to crazy parties, etc etc. In alot of NYC bars, there's a feeling that anything could happen, even though it might not, never the less, 'that' feeling exists. The excitement factor is SO different than compared to drinking in Chicago. Not to mention the fact that the bars are alot more diverse, that's also a plus!
I think that's a fair assessment...excluding the bars outside of trendy areas where people are much more friendly (though those bars aren't as exciting obviously). But the absolute worst hood in Chicago to meet anyone at a bar is Hyde Park. The U of C students would rather argue philosophy in their little groups than let loose and have fun.

I've definitely had more conversations with random people in bars in NYC than I have in Chicago.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:20 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,073,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
I think that's a fair assessment...excluding the bars outside of trendy areas where people are much more friendly (though those bars aren't as exciting obviously). But the absolute worst hood in Chicago to meet anyone at a bar is Hyde Park. The U of C students would rather argue philosophy in their little groups than let loose and have fun.

I've definitely had more conversations with random people in bars in NYC than I have in Chicago.
Ya, and those "trendy bars" are more geared towards the professional crowd (yuppies). I don't like those types of bars in NYC either. Hence, I drink in the outer-boroughs. I'm a blue-collar guy, and just don't fit into a lot of Chicago's bars for this very reason.

I'm glad that so many of you people from Chicago are agreeing with me on this issue. I always knew this, but just wondered if other people had experienced the same things I did when out in Chicago bars. It's pretty bad, when even a born and bread Chicagoan admits it.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:42 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,276 times
Quote:
Ya, and those "trendy bars" are more geared towards the professional crowd (yuppies). I don't like those types of bars in NYC either. Hence, I drink in the outer-boroughs. I'm a blue-collar guy, and just don't fit into a lot of Chicago's bars for this very reason.

I'm glad that so many of you people from Chicago are agreeing with me on this issue. I always knew this, but just wondered if other people had experienced the same things I did when out in Chicago bars. It's pretty bad, when even a born and bread Chicagoan admits it.
I have not experienced what you experienced.

It's different for everybody, as you claim many people agree with you, but I've rarely heard anybody have that complaint before.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I don't know where the heck you get this. I don't hear from many people that Chicagoans are closed, especially in bars. I hear that Chicagoans have many conversations with random people. That's what happens to me when I got Chicago bars, although that's MY experience.

I have never seen Chicagoans or Midwesterners as reserved. I think it's the opposite.
Have you travelled around much to compare the diffences between, say Chicago in NYC? If so, you'd be in a minority to not notice the difference and what we're talking about. Where you born and raised in a major city or not? Some people actually think that Chicago is real faced paced also, cause they've never been to LA or NYC.

Chicagoans are VERY reserved. To think otherwise, is not relistic.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I have not experienced what you experienced.

It's different for everybody, as you claim many people agree with you, but I've rarely heard anybody have that complaint before.
Just cause people might not know there's a difference, doesn't make it untrue. Why don't you live in chicago?...

Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,560,158 times
Of course everybody's mileage will vary, and there are bars where people are more friendly than others.

In NYC, I've found that the upper west side bars are much more reserved with people keeping to their small groups, than bars in the East Village.

In Chicago, there are certain bars and hoods that are much better for meeting people (not Lincoln Park or Lake View, where you get all the Chads and Trixies). My 4am bar is Alice's at Belmont & Central Park - way west of the happening areas - and every time I walk in there, people treat you like you're one of the gang. They'll ask if you want to sing karaoke songs with them, which is really cool. You will rarely if ever find that atmosphere in Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:32 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,215,225 times
Quote:
In Chicago, there are certain bars and hoods that are much better for meeting people (not Lincoln Park or Lake View, where you get all the Chads and Trixies). My 4am bar is Alice's at Belmont & Central Park - way west of the happening areas - and every time I walk in there, people treat you like you're one of the gang. They'll ask if you want to sing karaoke songs with them, which is really cool. You will rarely if ever find that atmosphere in Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville.
I agree with this statement

Old 03-22-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Of course everybody's mileage will vary, and there are bars where people are more friendly than others.

In NYC, I've found that the upper west side bars are much more reserved with people keeping to their small groups, than bars in the East Village.

Again with the Mannhattan stuff. Listen, Mannhattan for the most part, is yuppie central. That's were the city's biggest concentration of professionals live. When I talk about NYC, I include the outer-boroughs in my conversations. Alot of bars in Mannhattan would probably be similiar to the "trendy" nabes of Chicago. Remember, Mannhattan is only 24 sq miles of NYC's 330 sq mile city. You have to put that into context when talking about NYC. Unless you're talking about culture things like musuems and shows, than Mannhattan would basically be the entire focus.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 AM

205 posts, read 720,727 times
boston nightlife stays open as late as the last t thru town -- what was that, like midnight or something? i remember those cold winter nights having to walk across the bridge into cambridge. boston is def not a night out kinda town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City