Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 08:07 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Austin's been experiencing that for a while and it still has not went down yet and it shows no signs of doing so. Austin is in a much better situation than Waco in that they have a very large university that loves the action, a diverse population, and festivals that attract people from around the world throughout the year specifically the spring season.
It was totally out of control in Buckhead...there were over 100 bars and clubs in a 2.5 block area; some of them were very slack in checking IDs and providing security in the common areas; there were several gang-style murders and shootings, a couple of them pretty high profile (i.e. Ray Lewis Super Bowl weekend). This combination of issues gave community leaders enough ammunition and public support to pressure the city into revoking/not renewing a lot of the clubs' liquor permits - so they had to close.

I've heard that there are still about 30 or so bars in that area, but they don't draw the huge crowds like before. The clubs have relocated to other part of Atlanta, there just isn't an area with a concentration of 100 clubs anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 10:35 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,139,936 times
LA, NYC, CHI, Vegas, Miami. After that it doesn't matter.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 PM

8,634 posts, read 10,155,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
But honestly have you had any personal experiences in Center City Philadelphia or downtown Washington DC?

So pardon my boldness for having more faith in a publication thats been around since 1917 then an anonymous person on an internet message board who provides no facts to support his/her claim.

You have the right to make unsubstanciated bombastic claims. I have the right to criticize you for making such questionable allegations.

Pardon my boldness for having more faith in my own personal experiences than a publication that makes up lists based partly on questionable estimations and assumptions.

You asked for my personal experiences (I don't usually get that 'personal' with strangers):

I haven't spent as much time in Philly as I have in DC, but that is a choice I made based on my experiences there. I've spent most of my 'going out' time in the Gayborhood. Since I prefer to frequent nightclubs w/ some good dance music, you won't find me as often at pubs, unless I'm visiting Europe (I like 'em in Soho). I've been to Woody's. I liked Pure, but I would imagine there must be other places with a little better music, and I'm not a big fan of the "club membership" thing, but at least they have an afterhours. I almost moved to the area because of an offer to transfer within my company for a position in Center Valley, but I decided against it. I don't see myself as a fit there, and I still don't. It's hard to explain, but when I figure it out, I'll be sure to let you be one of the first to know...The city is nice, the people are friendly, the restaurants are good, and yes I have had fun there, but it still doesn't rank as one of my favorite places.

DC may not have as much of an urban feel to it like Philly has (skyscrapers), but I enjoy it more. I've already stated this in a previous post in this thread, but to humor you, I've spent most of my time in DC around Dupont Circle and U Street (my favorite hangout there is Town). Last year I visited five times; three of those times, I flew into Cleveland to visit with friends, and we drove down to DC together. In regards to dining, Philly has a nice restaurant scene and I think DC is on par with it (depends on what you like), but to be honest with you, I make it a point to go to the Bethesda Crab House every time I visit DC (arguably the best crab cakes I've ever had). No, it's not a trendy place, but I don't have the opportunity to have 'real' crab cakes here in AZ.

I will say that I find the people in Philly perhaps friendlier than you, and less ostentatious than some people in DC, but so many other things, including the nightlife, make DC so much more desirable to me than Philly.

I hope that I've given you enough insight into my personal experiences, so that you feel the need to move along.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:46 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post

I will say that I find the people in Philly perhaps friendlier than you, and less ostentatious than some people in DC, but so many other things, including the nightlife, make DC so much more desirable to me than Philly.
The anger and resentment some city-data members feel toward particular cities is not commonly found in the real world. The majority of city residents - no matter which city - that I have encountered/met/known over the years have been nothing but friendly and have never needed to bad-mouth my hometown. That seems to be the objective of a few forumers here for whatever reason, but it's not real life...and apparently some people love cyber-discourse; they are blog-bullies who love to trash-type.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:12 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
Most of these hillbillies have never ventured into DC beyond the museums and monuments. DC has so many party spots featuring upscale clubs and lounges. Once again, let me reiterate that DC does not have a big bar scene but if you want chic clubs offering $15 martinis and gorgeous women, DC is right behind NYC, Miami and Vegas.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Most of these hillbillies have never ventured into DC beyond the museums and monuments. DC has so many party spots featuring upscale clubs and lounges. Once again, let me reiterate that DC does not have a big bar scene but if you want chic clubs offering $15 martinis and gorgeous women, DC is right behind NYC, Miami and Vegas.
Doubt it, you are exaggerating about the nightlife scene in DC big time. It's good, but it's not as great as your making it.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Downtown Austin is becoming more yuppified and many people will tell you this. Why do you think people always say, they enjoyed Austin or liked it more 20 years ago. I'm going tommorow for the Relays.
Still the point stands. Austin's 6th street has seen worse days. It actually shows signs of picking up instead of closing down. The University of Texas is still there. Austin still attracts young professionals, and it is still the entertainment district of the Austin region. It is not going down anytime soon.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:23 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,219,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I like lofty claims. Do you have any facts to back it up though, or is this simply another excessively braggadocious "my boat is bigger than your boat" routine?

I'm not saying you are incorrect but enlighten us.Perhaps an indepth article , photos,data anything to back up your claim. Would be appreciated.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:25 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It was totally out of control in Buckhead...there were over 100 bars and clubs in a 2.5 block area; some of them were very slack in checking IDs and providing security in the common areas; there were several gang-style murders and shootings, a couple of them pretty high profile (i.e. Ray Lewis Super Bowl weekend). This combination of issues gave community leaders enough ammunition and public support to pressure the city into revoking/not renewing a lot of the clubs' liquor permits - so they had to close.

I've heard that there are still about 30 or so bars in that area, but they don't draw the huge crowds like before. The clubs have relocated to other part of Atlanta, there just isn't an area with a concentration of 100 clubs anymore.
I've heard stories on what was going on in Buckhead in the 90s. Are their any signs of a renassiance (sp? i can't spell this word for anything lol.)

Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,219,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The anger and resentment some city-data members feel toward particular cities is not commonly found in the real world. The majority of city residents - no matter which city - that I have encountered/met/known over the years have been nothing but friendly and have never needed to bad-mouth my hometown. That seems to be the objective of a few forumers here for whatever reason, but it's not real life...and apparently some people love cyber-discourse; they are blog-bullies who love to trash-type.
And of course you would never get involved in such predicaments.

Thanks for the laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City