Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2022, 01:56 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Dallas also does a good job on that front. Houston not as much.
Dallas does okay, but it's closer to Houston than Austin at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 01:58 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
I wouldn’t say that Nashville’s nightlife isn’t diverse as much as not being on the scale of much larger cities. The main issue is Nashville built it’s brand by promoting country music on Broadway, so they come to Nashville not expecting to see other areas. Tourists rarely venture into other neighborhoods especially if they’re staying in a hotel downtown. Definitely don’t think I’d rate it top 10 but I can’t think of too many cities Nashville’s size outside of New Orleans and Austin that has more nightlife.
From what I am hearing, Orlando has Nashville beat. I've had better nightlife experiences in Baltimore (not sure if its Nashville’s tier or not) Indianapolis & Las Vegas without trying. But there again I am in a very small demographic so I can't be for sure what others experience. Atleast we agree Nashville isn't a top 10.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:03 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I agree, that's why I think Austin does belong in or just outside of the top 10 in this department. Even many of the much larger, vastly more urban cities in the country don't match the walkability of Austin's nightlife. (See DC or Boston for example). Hell, even NYC feels a bit more spread out to me just because the land use is so much more mixed.

DC? Have you been to DC? DC’s nightlife is walking distance to each other.

1. U street/14th Street
2. Adams Morgan
3. Dupont Circle/Golden Triangle nightclubs and lounges
4. Penn Quarter/City Center DC nightclubs and lounges

The only areas that are far would be the warehouse clubs off New York Avenue which are mega clubs (Karma, Echo Stage, Bliss, Stadium, Aqua, and Power) I’m sure Austin wouldn’t even have.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 06-22-2022 at 02:11 PM..

Old 06-22-2022, 02:21 PM

592 posts, read 592,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
From what I am hearing, Orlando has Nashville beat. I've had better nightlife experiences in Baltimore (not sure if its Nashville’s tier or not) Indianapolis & Las Vegas without trying. But there again I am in a very small demographic so I can't be for sure what others experience. Atleast we agree Nashville isn't a top 10.
I can't speak for Orlando as I hadn't kicked it there since the mid 2000's. Indianapolis? I must be missing something then if you're ranking it high lol. Las Vegas no doubt which I meant to mention alongside New Orleans and Austin. Baltimore I personally rank in a separate tier as I lump it in with DC though I know Bmore can stand on it's own.

My ranking goes as follows:

New York
Miami
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
New Orleans
Houston
Dallas
Chicago
DC
Atlanta

Last edited by jkc2j; 06-22-2022 at 02:34 PM..

Old 06-22-2022, 02:31 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

DC? Have you been to DC? DC’s nightlife is walking distance to each other.

1. U street/14th Street
2. Adams Morgan
3. Dupont Circle/Golden Triangle nightclubs and lounges
4. Penn Quarter/City Center DC nightclubs and lounges

The only areas that are far would be the warehouse clubs off New York Avenue which are mega clubs (Karma, Echo Stage, Bliss, Stadium, Aqua, and Power) I’m sure Austin wouldn’t even have.
I think DC has its denser pockets - more consistent in those neighborhoods than Boston - but I’m not sure I’d consider DC a great nightlife destination. It’s plagued with the same issues as cities like Boston.

Like Adam’s Morgan has its pubs and taverns, but I don’t think I’d consider it a great nightlife neighborhood. You can do some eating and some drinking, no doubt, which is more my speed.. But it’s by no means a destination scene like other city neighborhoods.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Dallas does okay, but it's closer to Houston than Austin at this point.
Deep Ellum and Uptown.

For a metro of 7.75M, you’d expect more sizable nightlife areas than that. It’s just not a particularly vibrant nightlife city as you move away from those two neighborhoods. And those two certainly would not put Dallas on my top 10.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:39 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,713,438 times
I am surprised how many people put San Francisco. SF is mostly dead by like 8pm lol. California in general is very bad when it comes to nightlife, as most people there call it a day early, outside of LA house parties. Even with the last call at 2 am, realistically most places wrap it up by like 12.

Here is a video of a walk on NYC streets at night in a few neighborhoods. Keep in mind this video is shot a year ago in 2021, when there was no tourism, most students didn't go to NYC to dorms, but stayed at home since all college was remote, a lot of people left the city due to WFH, businesses required proof of vaccination, and articles were written how the "city is dead". So this is "dead" NYC on a pandemic night:

Last edited by Gantz; 06-22-2022 at 02:53 PM..

Old 06-22-2022, 02:43 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
According to US News:

1. Vegas
2. Miami
3. NOLA
4. NYC
5. LA
6. SF
7. Chicago
8. Austin
9. San Diego
10. Boston

According to Vacation Cluster

1. Miami
2. Vegas
3. NYC
4. NOLA
5. Chicago
6. Nashville
7. LA
8. Keywest
9. Austin
10. SF
11. Houston
12. San Diego
13. Providence
14. Denver
15. Portland
16. Boston
17. Seattle
18. Memphis
19. Atlanta
20. Tampa

According to Men’s Journal

1. Miami
2. Vegas
3. NOLA
4. New York
5. Honolulu
6. Nashville
7. Chicago
8. LA
9. Austin
10. San Juan

These lists here reflect the common American’s view more so than the CityData user. On CityData, most people will rank NYC as first. In real life, most people battle it out between Miami and Vegas first for the first spot. Why is this? Two reasons

1. CityData is full of urban enthusiasts that will give extra points for other unrelated city amenities. The common American will just say where they have a better time.

2. lets be honest, the average city data user is less likely to be outgoing when it comes to nightlife.

Everything else about diversity, urban bones etc, the average American doesn’t think about these things. They just come naturally to them. For example, I think Austin is very overrated for certain things. But if I’m going to be honest, I’m aware of what the world views Austin as and why they like it. In the end, Miami and Vegas is the first two that come to peoples minds and NOLA, NYC, LA follow those up. Then everything else comes inz

Old 06-22-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I am surprised how many people put San Francisco. SF is mostly dead by like 8pm lol.
I hope I’m not contradicting myself from a prior post - doubtful - but I agree. I don’t see San Francisco are a major nightlife city. Even after frequenting the city on weekends for the better part of a year, it never jumped out at me after dark. Fairly consistent (inconsistent) nightlife.

I mean, Mission District probably has a dozen popular bars, which are dispersed across the entire neighborhood. And you’d probably argue that Mission is the most popular nightlife district, Valencia being front and center.

It’s a food first, daylife second, nightlife third kind of city. Easy to have fun and eat and drink well, similar to how I feel about DC and Boston from my previous post.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:01 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I think DC has its denser pockets - more consistent in those neighborhoods than Boston - but I’m not sure I’d consider DC a great nightlife destination. It’s plagued with the same issues as cities like Boston.

Like Adam’s Morgan has its pubs and taverns, but I don’t think I’d consider it a great nightlife neighborhood. You can do some eating and some drinking, no doubt, which is more my speed.. But it’s by no means a destination scene like other city neighborhoods.
This is already an impossible thing to rank nationally because nightlife is heavily weighted by race. I could see people other than Black people thinking DC isn't that great of a nightlife destination because DC's nightlife is overwhelmingly geared towards Black culture and Black people.

National Black Nightlife Rank
1a and 1b. Atlanta and DC
3. NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City