Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2023, 11:17 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times

Advertisements

New York
Vegas
Miami
LA
NOLA
Chicago
Houston
Nashville
Atlanta
Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 11:51 AM

3,543 posts, read 2,332,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
New York
Vegas
Miami
LA
NOLA
Chicago
Houston
Nashville
Atlanta
Austin
Swap DC out with Houston and I'd be 110% on board with this

Old 07-12-2023, 12:42 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Swap DC out with Houston and I'd be 110% on board with this
Isn't DC known for boring nightlife?

Old 07-12-2023, 01:06 PM

2,597 posts, read 4,660,594 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Not really

Old 07-12-2023, 01:10 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Not really
Idk if it’s true or not. I haven’t been to DC as an adult yet. But it is a common saying that it has mediocre nightlife

Old 07-12-2023, 01:20 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times
Quote:
DC has some of the best nightlife in America. Is this a joke? Have you ever been to U Street? NYC doesn’t even have a U Street. Everything in DC is centralized while nightlife is spread out in most cities.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:22 PM

3,543 posts, read 2,332,041 times
Quote:
Not at all.

Very good club scene, okay bar scene but theres a lot in raw numbers. Last call being 2:30-3am doesn't hurt either. Atlanta would be a good measuring stick on what to expect in DC. DC is way more up-scale/superficial at party so it's slightly less rowdy as a result however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Idk if it’s true or not. I haven’t been to DC as an adult yet. But it is a common saying that it has mediocre nightlife
Definitely not mediocre if you don't limit yourself to one area.

DuPont Circle
Penn Quater
H-Street
Adams Morgan
U-Street
Capitol Hill
Georgetown

The Warf & Navy Yards are up and coming imho

To give a sense of scale, U-Street by itself is roughly Broadway, Nashville or Gaslamp, SD scale. Neither of which are "small' by entertainment districts.

Last edited by Joakim3; 07-12-2023 at 01:45 PM..

Old 07-12-2023, 01:22 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,403,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
DC is pretty good IMO.. the nice thing is that it's small and walkable so nightlife is quite concentrated and it is easy to get from one district to another. It's also very transient with many young single people looking to make friends. And of course it's a diverse place not just racially but also in national origin.

I find it a bit weird culturally, though. The politics talk and name dropping stuff gets old, and it might be the second-most nerdy city after the SF Bay Area. There is also a weird divide between the democrats and the republicans. (They hang out in separate areas to an extent beyond what you see in other cities).

Old 07-12-2023, 01:38 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
DC's nightlife isn't as spread out but you do have to take an uber or hop on the train if you want to go from say U street to Navy Yard. But with DC you can walk from U Street/14th Street to Dupont and Adam's Morgan. You can walk from the Wharf to Navy Yard. DC nightlife isn't bad IMO.

I would replace Houston with DC as well but I think Houston is right at the top from 11-20. The problem with Houston though is that it is spread out and still no as walkable. But at least most of the best nightlife is inside of the loop so it's no like you're going all over the city.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:45 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC has some of the best nightlife in America. Is this a joke? Have you ever been to U Street? NYC doesn’t even have a U Street. Everything in DC is centralized while nightlife is spread out in most cities.
Not a joke, the impression I got from the past decade on City-Data was that most of the scene was uppity folk in suits going to happy hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City