Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:26 PM

20 posts, read 54,269 times

Advertisements

wow...as behind as atlanta is in terms of luxury retail offerings versus other major cities in the US....this comparison is just pathetic. austin cant even compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 04:00 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,971,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Right But in total upscale stores Nothing in Austin competes i can list at list 20 upscale stores that austin doesnt have that Atlanta has Not to mention Streets of BUckhead coming in 2010 and lenox and phipps alone bring in 1 billion in sales a year and the Domain can not compete with Phipps yeah Lenox maybe plus you have to remember we have perimeter mall also which offers upscale shopping to and alot of the those stores we havemultiple locations So no austin needs to compete with charlotte or something
Of course, but I wasn't talking about retail when I asked if you ever heard of Barton Creek. Barton Creek money can compare to Buckhead money. A really exclusive area. The size of Austin limits retail opportunities, though it is getting better. Nothing compared to the Big Four in the South though.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:38 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,097,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Of course, but I wasn't talking about retail when I asked if you ever heard of Barton Creek. Barton Creek money can compare to Buckhead money. A really exclusive area. The size of Austin limits retail opportunities, though it is getting better. Nothing compared to the Big Four in the South though.

Right i understand where you are coming from but just as well as austin is catching up atlanta is moving forward in they retail also especially when streets of buckhead is totally complete they are only at 20 stores. right now, there are going to be 80 upscale stores in total which in 2009 we should see chanel and dior YSL etc because the development end the end will be like rodeo drive when complete totally

Old 12-28-2008, 09:31 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,294,071 times
ehh...
I don't know...
The young vibe of Austin does bring it's share of upscale shopping.
The face that the population is so young does give it credible fashion credentials, as fashion in generally aimed for the younger generations.
Atlanta does have the Hip Hop thing going (which believe me, does have it's upscale markets with jeans and shirts selling high into the hundreds, and probably thousands) although not generally thought of when you think upscale.
And Although Atlanta has the advantage of being larger, I would say Atlanta beats Austin by a significant margin, but Austin is advancing.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:41 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,382,836 times
Atlanta wins this fight with one hand tied around it's back. Austin's retail lineup is impressive for a city it's size though.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:28 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,979,344 times
Yeah the Domain is awesome but ATL wins this one. Now ATL vs MIA, that would be a big one. I'd give that one to MIA easily.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:59 AM

20 posts, read 54,269 times
as you austin lovers claim...yes austin is advancing...but its retail offerings shouldnt even be compared to atlanta. it cant even compare to denver or seattle yet....who created this comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Right i understand where you are coming from but just as well as austin is catching up atlanta is moving forward in they retail also especially when streets of buckhead is totally complete they are only at 20 stores. right now, there are going to be 80 upscale stores in total which in 2009 we should see chanel and dior YSL etc because the development end the end will be like rodeo drive when complete totally
I am happy that streets of buckhead is bringing all this retail to atlanta, but just letting you know, if you think this development is going to make it rival places like rodeo drive...you clearly have never been to rodeo drive. all streets of buckhead will do is help atlanta become more competitive against cities like dallas and houston. There are scores of stores on rodeo drive, madison ave, las vegas and bal harbour that will not be opening in buckhead (stores that have 3 or 4 stores in the US, or some that only have 2.) Neither Chanel nor YSL define rodeo drive. Chanel has 25 boutiques in the US alone and YSL has 12 (with more already slated to open.) Are these really that exclusive? Not Really. YSL is already confirmed to be opening in Phoenix...(just to put it in perspective.)

Old 12-29-2008, 06:51 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,325,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolos View Post
wow...as behind as atlanta is in terms of luxury retail offerings versus other major cities in the US.
"As far behind"? You're either smoking crack, painfully oblivious, blatantly disingenuous, or an unabashed homer. Yes it's no NYC, LA, or Chicago; but it has never been lacking upscale shopping. In fact, Atlanta is very well-known for its retail offerings.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:36 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,059,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Plus ,San Antonio has North Star Mall and The Shops @ La Cantera. Alamo Quarry and Lincoln Heights have some upscale stores. Alamo Quarry is not exclusivly high end though. It seems many are U.C.
SA is definitely on the rise. If you combine SA and Austin including the outlets mall I think it might be even with Atlanta. I live in far North SA but I can be at the Domain in Austin in 50 minutes and vice versa alot of Austinites shop in SA. A lot of SA people shop at the outlet malls and in Austin

Old 12-29-2008, 08:39 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
Austin? For shopping? Or restaurants? I don't think so.

As much as I can't stand Atlanta, I'll give it this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City