Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 07:23 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,654,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Austin is such a better city than atlanta it's not even funny.

Austin = pretty, socially progressive, more cultural.

Atlanta = very conservative and sprawly cultural wasteland.
People come to this site to gain knowledge of a particular place in this country. I don't really find your claims plausible; at least put down some true facts that support your CLAIM that Atlanta's an "cultural wasteland". You're on the clock. Are you just boosting Austin because there's a major college in the town? I wish Atlanta had a some colleges in its city. Step it up kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 07:55 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,976,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Well they just announced last month that a 700 ft madarin oriental hotel is being buit in midtown also hotel Palamor and Loews and st regis are all underconstruction so i dont think the building boom has stopped in atlanta
These were not just announced. Mandarin was on hold for a while and Palomar started before the credit crunch. There is a new article on it in the AJC.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:01 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,832,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
These were not just announced. Mandarin was on hold for a while and Palomar started before the credit crunch. There is a new article on it in the AJC.
There is also a 40-story Tokyo Inn to start construction in January Downtown. The recent, more concrete Mandarin announcement was made on November 11...

Quote:
Atlanta Business Chronicle

Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is expected to announce Thursday it has struck a deal to build a mixed-use luxury hotel and condo tower in Midtown Atlanta.

Several highly placed sources within the Atlanta hotel industry have confirmed Atlanta-based Tivoli Properties Inc. plans to build a $200 million to $250 million ultra-luxury high-rise hotel and residences under the Mandarin Oriental flag.

Tivoli has scheduled a press conference at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce. An invitation to the press conference said the announcement would detail a major 53-story hotel development.

www.ajc.com

Old 12-26-2008, 10:36 AM

23,509 posts, read 44,187,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
People come to this site to gain knowledge of a particular place in this country. I don't really find your claims plausible; at least put down some true facts that support your CLAIM that Atlanta's an "cultural wasteland". You're on the clock. Are you just boosting Austin because there's a major college in the town? I wish Atlanta had a some colleges in its city. Step it up kid.
Georgia Institute of Technology
Georgia State University
Emory University
Agnes Scott College
Atlanta University
Oglethorpe University

Old 12-26-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Georgia State University
Emory University
Agnes Scott College
Atlanta University
Oglethorpe University
and another 44,000 students attending...

Kennesaw State University - 22,000 students
University of West Georgia - 11,000 students
Clayton State University - 6,000 students
Southern Polytechnic State University - 5,000 students

Old 12-26-2008, 12:07 PM

395 posts, read 1,012,351 times
Austin: SxSW music and film fest; austin city limits festival + weekly concerts, more music per capita than anywhere in the U.S. Nude swimming, no topless laws, marijuana decriminalized, extremely tolerant towards gays.

Atlanta: drive your hummer, vote Republican, live in a McMansion.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Georgia State University
Emory University
Agnes Scott College
Atlanta University
Oglethorpe University
Thanks LovinDecatur, I wasn't being serious when I said that I wish we had major schools in Atlanta (I knew that already), I'm just playing around.

Quote:
Austin: SxSW music and film fest; austin city limits festival + weekly concerts, more music per capita than anywhere in the U.S. Nude swimming, no topless laws, marijuana decriminalized, extremely tolerant towards gays.

Re: your astute Atlanta life observation, please try again.
Listen, I've never been to Austin before but I'm sure that it's great and all but you're selling Atlanta too short on here. Do you really care to know about Atlanta or do you want to see who can p*ss the farthest? The floor's your kid.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Re: your astute Atlanta life observation, please try again.
Listen, I've never been to Austin before but I'm sure that it's great and all but you're selling Atlanta too short on here. Do you really care to know about Atlanta or do you want to see who can p*ss the farthest? The floor's your kid.
Not only are they selling Atlanta short, but this type of hateful and misinformed commentary doesn't do Austin any favors either. Adults can usually compare two cities without making such inflammatory comments and causing ill-will toward their city of choice. It doesn't build up your city - it actually causes unnecessary negative negative images of it where there were none before.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Not only are they selling Atlanta short, but this type of hateful and misinformed commentary doesn't do Austin any favors either. Adults can usually compare two cities without making such inflammatory comments and causing ill-will toward their city of choice. It doesn't build up your city - it actually causes unnecessary negative negative images of it where there were none before.
Really, should we even try to defend Atlanta anymore on here? I mean if they really wanted to know something about this city then they'd go to the Atlanta forum. It's not making any sense on here anymore because there's been so many Atlanta threads with some good DATA on this CITY but some people act as if they're illiterate or just chose to ignore some facts and rinse and repeat garbage that they've heard on this site NY, Cali, Chicago, Detroit, Atl, Miami, North, South, East, West, it doesn't even matter. I don't know maybe it's me in this thing. Sorry for the rant, folks.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:44 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,509,989 times
Quote:

Then I wonder why 12% of Atlanta is gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City