Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:41 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,096,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolos View Post
If you read my post again, I discuss Atlanta's retail offerings in relative terms. Yes its not NYC, LA or Chicago...but its much more appropriate to compare Atlanta to these markets than Austin. Its also no SF, Dallas, Houston, Miami, DC or Boston either. Nor Vegas, Honolulu, Bergen County, Manhasset. I guess in absolute terms, yes, ATL is fine. But why would you compare ATL to markets like Denver (though Loro Piana did just open in Denver, and many others are slated to within the next year.) In relative terms, comparing Atlanta to cities of similar size - or when cities were of similar size - its behind. All I am saying is ATL has had an interesting time with retail. A previous poster is excited that Chanel/YSL will hopefully enter Atlanta by 2011. Most of the markets I listed earlier have had Chanel for many years. Moreover, YSL is opening in markets like San Diego and Phoenix (markets that most people wouldn't think could rival Atlanta, but in reality have almost every store Atlanta has and then some, obviously there are some stores Atlanta has that they don't.)

Perhaps...but people make it sound like none of these other markets are growing either...miami is one of the fastest growing luxury retail markets in the US. Yes, SOB may rival Bal Harbor 2005 when the development opens in 2010/2011...but what will the miami area have by that time?
But it will grow thats only 20 stores there are mopre to be annouced by the opening date. Its supposed to be 80 stores when fully complete Plus with Midtown mile i mean I think personally we are going to see some good retail in the up coming years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 09:05 PM

23,491 posts, read 44,156,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
^^Definitely. Atlanta is right there with Houston, Dallas, and Miami. Also, just as Atlanta has some stores that we don't have out here in Texas, we have stores that Atlanta does not have.

Post some examples then, because I know the reason why the "Midtown Mile" and Streets of Buckhead were created was to increase Atlanta's boutiques and specialty stores.
Nonsense (as usual), and go look for yourself under 'shopping' if it's a subject of such undying fascination to you.

www.decaturga.com

Old 12-29-2008, 09:16 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,444,654 times
Oh yeah. I forgot about the Midtown Mile Midtown Mile Atlanta . An Urban Retail Experience (http://www.midtownmile.com/index.html - broken link), some of which has already been completed, coming to Atlanta in addition to Streets of Buckhead.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:24 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,970,728 times
^^Midtown Mile isn't really all shops though. Isn't it mostly condos/hotels with some retail at the bottom? What retail has signed on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Nonsense (as usual), and go look for yourself under 'shopping' if it's a subject of such undying fascination to you.

www.decaturga.com
How is this different from anywhere else?

Old 12-29-2008, 09:46 PM

13,358 posts, read 40,010,658 times
Quote:
As far as department stores go, Atlanta does good with Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, and Neimans. As far as boutiques and specialty stores, Atlanta is really lacking.
Quote:
^^Midtown Mile isn't really all shops though. Isn't it mostly condos/hotels with some retail at the bottom? What retail has signed on?

How is this different from anywhere else?
Of course Midtown Mile isn't really all shops. That's the point of mixed-use developments. It's got residential, commercial, and retail all mixed in together. Much of the retail there is locally owned boutiques which you claim Atlanta is lacking.

Likewise, the link to Decatur that LovinDecatur provided shows another area of Atlanta that has a lot of locally-owned shops and boutiques rather than big chain stores. Other Atlanta neighborhoods that are filled with small, locally-owned boutiques are Virginia-Highland, Little Five Points, Poncy, Vinings, Ansley Park, Druid Hills, and there are probably others I can't think of at the top of my head. Atlanta is a city of old neighborhoods, each of which has its own little commercial areas clustered around old streetcar stops.

There's no question that a booming metro area with over 5 million residents will have a lot of sprawly malls. But Atlanta's urban core is blessed with many walkable neighborhoods with their own, locally owned shops, cafes, restaurants, and boutiques.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Of course Midtown Mile isn't really all shops. That's the point of mixed-use developments. It's got residential, commercial, and retail all mixed in together. Much of the retail there is locally owned boutiques which you claim Atlanta is lacking.
Well of course. Midtown Mile isn't a development though. It's just a collection of different developments that the city branded.

Quote:
Likewise, the link to Decatur that LovinDecatur provided shows another area of Atlanta that has a lot of locally-owned shops and boutiques rather than big chain stores. Other Atlanta neighborhoods that are filled with small, locally-owned boutiques are Virginia-Highland, Little Five Points, Poncy, Vinings, Ansley Park, Druid Hills, and there are probably others I can't think of at the top of my head. Atlanta is a city of old neighborhoods, each of which has its own little commercial areas clustered around old streetcar stops.
Nothing new here that I'm reading.

Quote:
There's no question that a booming metro area with over 5 million residents will have a lot of sprawly malls. But Atlanta's urban core is blessed with many walkable neighborhoods with their own, locally owned shops, cafes, restaurants, and boutiques.
But that's not what was being said. I said that Atlanta was lacking in boutiques. These new developments are helping to add much more boutiques to the Atlanta area.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,248,706 times
Quote:
Well of course. Midtown Mile isn't a development though. It's just a collection of different developments that the city branded.

Nothing new here that I'm reading.

But that's not what was being said. I said that Atlanta was lacking in boutiques. These new developments are helping to add much more boutiques to the Atlanta area.
Are you talking about the specialty shops like you find in the Galleria or Rice Village in Houston???

Old 12-29-2008, 11:14 PM

I was talking about the ones you find in the Galleria. I don't see those things on the list 'LovinDecatur' linked me too, but that list has similar shops to the ones you would see in Rice Village.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:30 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,059,078 times
Austin and San Antonio can challenge Atlanta area

Old 12-30-2008, 08:17 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,382,010 times
Lol!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City