Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 01:57 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,819,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Really, should we even try to defend Atlanta anymore on here? I mean if they really wanted to know something about this city then they'd go to the Atlanta forum. It's not making any sense on here anymore because there's been so many Atlanta threads with some good DATA on this CITY but some people act as if they're illiterate or just chose to ignore some facts and rinse and repeat garbage that they've heard on this site NY, Cali, Chicago, Detroit, Atl, Miami, North, South, East, West, it doesn't even matter. I don't know maybe it's me in this thing. Sorry for the rant, folks.
That's a rant? You're right on target with it.

I try to only respond to statements that are blatantly fictional or based on incorrect data/information....but it's crazy how many of those statements are made in this forum. People often try to disguise them as opinions, but most of us know the difference in fact and opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 01:04 AM

362 posts, read 1,058,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
That Austin is not catching up to Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta. It has better shopping than San Antonio though, but those two cities are neck and neck. Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta just have much more than Austin. Austin won't get to their level. This is why the thread is horrible.
San Antonio has much more shopping possibilities than Austin. San Antonio is leading Texas for new high end shopping under construction. Try 20 million square feet of retail being built, I dont think Atlanta or Austin can match that.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:49 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,964,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
San Antonio has much more shopping possibilities than Austin. San Antonio is leading Texas for new high end shopping under construction. Try 20 million square feet of retail being built, I dont think Atlanta or Austin can match that.
How wrong you are. Austin has the same, or more upscale shopping than San Antonio. That 20 million square feet of retail under construction (proposed and completed, you forgot that part), include retail like Walmart, Target, Kohls, etc. The only high end retail is near La Cantera. Also, San Antonio is not leading Texas in new high end retail. Both Houston, Dallas, and Austin have more high end retail in the works than SA, though SA is building some nice retail.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:03 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,055,978 times
SA is building more than Houston and Austin, but is close to Dallas. Austin didn;t have a decent place to shop until 10years ago

Old 12-27-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
SA is building more than Houston and Austin, but is close to Dallas. Austin didn;t have a decent place to shop until 10years ago
I believe there was an article that stated that SA was not building more retail than Houston and Dallas. Still, the new retail in SA is just catching up to the population, and the majority of it is new Walmarts and HEB on the fringes of the city limits and not the new urban retail you see going up in Houston and Dallas.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:39 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,576,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
This is a spin-off of the "Dallas vs Houston" thread.
You're comparing Austin to Atlanta for shopping? Uhh, clearly it's Atlanta, with Lennox Square and Phipps Plaza. There's no Buckhead in Austin....

Old 12-27-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
You're comparing Austin to Atlanta for shopping? Uhh, clearly it's Atlanta, with Lennox Square and Phipps Plaza. There's no Buckhead in Austin....
Barton Creek + The Domain?

Old 12-27-2008, 09:36 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,865,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Why do people think that upscale shopping is the only decent shopping? Austin has always had great places to shop. They weren't upscale but who needs upscale unless you are rich. I prefer places that I can actually afford and Austin has always had places like that to shop. Maybe some day when I'm making six figures I might care but the majority of Americans can't afford upscale shopping having an abundance of it in your city means nothing.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:46 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,114,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
How wrong you are. Austin has the same, or more upscale shopping than San Antonio. That 20 million square feet of retail under construction (proposed and completed, you forgot that part), include retail like Walmart, Target, Kohls, etc. The only high end retail is near La Cantera. Also, San Antonio is not leading Texas in new high end retail. Both Houston, Dallas, and Austin have more high end retail in the works than SA, though SA is building some nice retail.

After everything is completed in San Antonio, like Eilian, The Rim, La Cantera Village, Cresta Bella, La Joya, Quarry Village, etc, etc, etc, etc, Austin will be a blur on the rearview mirror.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:56 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,865,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
After everything is completed in San Antonio, like Eilian, The Rim, La Cantera Village, Cresta Bella, La Joya, Quarry Village, etc, etc, etc, etc, Austin will be a blur on the rearview mirror.
lol

I can't think of a worse name for an upscale shopping place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City