Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 06:16 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Canada is not that safe, I mean, eastern Canada is very safe (from Quebec to the maritimes) but western, not so. Montreal is safe, but you need to take into account the demographic...

Not sure what you mean by demographics. If a city is safe, it's safe. Homo sapiens live there just like anywhere else. Montreal has lots of diversity, and no shortage of poverty as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
No, it's not from trap music, nor grime, nor hip-hop. It's straight-up gang culture and governments being lax (especially in the UK, seems like it's "racist" to fight against gangs now). Sure they listen to those genres but you can't blame the music for an issue that has been around since before rap and hip-hop was a thing.
I wasn't going to say it, but you have a bit of that going on in Toronto as well.

In the last mayoral election, one candidate reacted to a proposal to deny bail to repeat gun offenders by saying it would be racist towards blacks and indigenous people.

Black and indigenous people say: Aw gee lady, thanks for looking out for us. Uhhh... kinda.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:08 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/...er-police-say/

5 shot 1 stabbed in the Franklin Field Housing project in Dorchester, Boston. 1 dead

Boston 19
Correction: 7 shot

Old 05-28-2020, 07:28 AM

274 posts, read 173,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
I grew up listening to NWA, ice T, Wu Tang clan, Mac 10, Mc Eith, so solid crew, roll deep crew... That did not made me a gangsta, this rapprochement is just taking the easy route to not dig deeper into the real problem...
Yep there is much deeper issues. These kids are super susceptible to the streets without a father figure growing up, and in a lot of these "ghetto" neighborhoods, there is a disgusting amount of despair and poverty, everywhere you look. The only people that have actually made it out of the hood, or have money are the drug dealers, so naturally, the kids will do what's popular around that area. In a lot of areas, That way of life is truly the only life someone people know, because they were literally born into that lifestyle, it's a very nasty cycle.

When kids grow up in broken homes, in a broken neighborhood, there rarely is a happy ending, especially considering the amount of children who grow up in terrible foster care homes. I'd really say about almost half the young homeless people you see on the street have foster care ties.

The kids in these neighborhoods were all given the **** end of the stick, and now need a lot of help, without help, these neighborhoods will never change, just the way it is. I feel like people put too much emphasis on whats went wrong in the neighborhood, but not enough talk about what can make it right, they need better education, emphasis on real education. They need their neighborhood to become safer, so they can get more needed investment. They need real funding from the city to help fix these war zones, they need more mental health support and community events, there is a lot of mental illness and PTSD in the ghettos, seriously there is a huge amount of trauma in these neighborhoods.
We also need to stop giving kids criminal records for petty things. Once you give them a record, they will 100% turn to the streets. We need to try to emphasize the importance of their dad staying in their lives, teach family planning from a young age, so they will learn the importance of being a parent, and hopefully end the single parent cycle. a lot of these problems stem because the kid has no one to guide him, except people on his block.

The way these neighborhoods were created were racist, but nowadays, that's not the problem. The poverty and urban blight has become so normalized that this is the lifestyle some neighborhoods are used too, some have generations of criminal ties, so it's very hard to end a violent cycle, especially when a lot of the people in the hood hate everything that has to do with the government now, and for good reason, their neighborhoods were left to fend for themselves. Everything including schools, police, influence in the street all create ****ups of epic proportions in so many neighborhoods, where no one wants to do investment, further increasing the poverty there.

And nowadays alot (not all) of the the police and the people in the hood generally hate each other. It's not necessarily anyone fault (failure in the system), but it is what it is. A lot of people are angry, cops and citizens alike, this just further perpetuates the violence because many people in the ghetto see the cops as just another gang, and will not call them for safety reasons, because the feel they can't rely on the police, at all, or for fear of corruption in the police force, which could lead to retaliation from the gang you were calling the police about, some of the hate against police is unjustified, some of it is justified, but in essence both the police and the citizens in the hood have been playing the blame game for years, which doesn't solve anything, and only creates further division.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:09 AM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Cincinnati now at 36.

http://wlwt.com/article/police-27-ye...695012?src=app

Old 05-28-2020, 08:10 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure what you mean by demographics. If a city is safe, it's safe. Homo sapiens live there just like anywhere else. Montreal has lots of diversity, and no shortage of poverty as well.
That’s still a surface level. Not all poor cities are violent and not all diverse group have gang ties. Some countries are more heavily involved in international drug trafficking and gang membership than others.
I don’t know much about Montreal but I assume the only immigrant group that has some international gang ‘clout‘ are Haitians (Zoe Pound). If that’s really it that’s a blessing for Montreal.

Toronto has Jamaicans. Jamaican ‘Posses’ are known to be hyper violent and have a lot of international reach. Even still overall Jamaicans are a tiny portion of Toronto, and Canada isn’t as socioeconomically cut throat in general.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:13 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
That’s still a surface level. Not all poor cities are violent and not all diverse group have gang ties. Some countries are more heavily involved in international drug trafficking and gang membership than others.
I don’t know much about Montreal but I assume the only immigrant group that has some international gang ‘clout‘ are Haitians (Zoe Pound). If that’s really it that’s a blessing for Montreal.

Toronto has Jamaicans. Jamaican ‘Posses’ are known to be hyper violent and have a lot of international reach. Even still overall Jamaicans are a tiny portion of Toronto, and Canada isn’t as socioeconomically cut throat in general.
There is still Mafia activity in Montreal, as do other groups. I think his point is that while Montreal is diverse and has its share of poverty, it is generally a safe city/area in terms of homicides.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There is still Mafia activity in Montreal, as do other groups. I think his point is that while Montreal is diverse and has its share of poverty, it is generally a safe city/area in terms of homicides.
Yippers. Montreal also has biker gangs whose members tend to be Québécois francophones.

One might attribute the much lower homicide rate and number of shootings in Montreal to a couple of factors.

For starters, American "gangsta" style culture is certainly present in Montreal in certain communities just like it is in Toronto, but it's far less pervasive.

Also, guidelines for how the police do their work generally fall under the authority of the province. So Toronto (and Ottawa) falls under the authority of Ontario, which effectively banned many more "assertive" police practices like carding, stop and frisk, profiling, random ID checks, etc.

For the most part, police in Quebec (and therefore in Montreal) are still allowed to do that stuff.

We do have some occasional posters on here who don't have a positive personal history with the Toronto police, so I suppose they welcomed the changes that forced cops there to cool their jets. (I'll leave it up to them to speak to that.)

Old 05-28-2020, 11:47 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
Quote:
Why did you cut my post to suit your answer...? Demographic and culture play a lot when it come to violence, a young city is more prone to violence than an old one because most crime / offenses are made by young people and Canada (Quebec more than the average) is a very old country and that plays a role, not the only role but it does play a role.. Just go to any prison in this world and tell me how many new inmate are +60... and in Canada there is more people over 60 than young under 14 so that is first alarming for the next generation and also play a role in lowering the crime rate...

That demographic (more old people than young) explain why Canada can not cut immigration because they need workers to pay for ole people pension.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:14 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
Quote:
For starters, American "gangsta" style culture is certainly present in Montreal in certain communities just like it is in Toronto, but it's far less pervasive.
The hip hop culture is very very very small in Montreal. There are some wannabe that claim thug life but they are more wannabe, but wannabe with a gun is still dangerous. The only Canadian city with a kind of strong hip hop culture is by very far Toronto with guyz like Tony yanez, Drake, Choclair, Silver surfer... Montreal had some one hit artist like Dubmatique, Muzion, Bless (who was in the game Def Jam vandeta) and K-maro... Other rappers like Ruffneck, Buzzy bwoy, Yvon kreve, Baxter Dexter, Sans pression... may ring some bells in Montreal but they were just that, kind of known in Montreal and nowhere else. I even met San Pression in the subway and we chated, he said that in Quebec there is simply no music in the hip hop scene and most artist need a job to make ends meet. He was nice.

The guy that made most noise internationally was Roi Henock... And he is one of the worst rapper alive, he became famous in France because he knows how to market himself...
He came to France claiming to fix the broken French hip hop scene and insulting all major french rappers (especially Booba whom he called "pute negre" meaning "**** n#gga" and if he ever step foot in Montreal he will get beat up)... He was claiming to be the king of Montreal-nord but nobody knew him in Montreal... So people were like "WHO THE HELL IS THIS GUY..?" And his interviews was funny, he seemed like crazy, like a retarded but started to make some waves in France... Then he started rapping and... This is where his buzz ended... His rap is just trash... He even said himself he does not understand how people can like him because he is just crap... But people were watching him just to laugh...
One of his most famous line in France was :
"Mon médaillon touche a mon penis" (My neckless touch my penis)
and every 5 seconds he was screaming "T'entend?" (Ya heard?)
He was making videos of him holding a video tape along with a guy speaking arab dressed like a terrorist and in that video he was claiming that this tape show him doing drugs, killing people

So this is the Canadian hip hop scene, there is no way that small of a culture can have some kind of signifiant impact in crime...

Hip hop in Canada is simply not big at all so to claim that Gangsta rap is a major factor is simply false because there is just too few people listening to gangsta rap, for the majority of people in Canada, gangsta rap is Drake and Justin Bieber

Last edited by jayo2k; 05-28-2020 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City