Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 06:27 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Why is cloud cover being turned into a topic or significant crime condition?? Last I read about crime is the HEAT of a summer and add humidity is when spikes in crime are documented. Add some holidays that are a none cloudiness perfect storm happens in these areas. Just review the stats on times of the year spikes happen and days of the week etc.
When I lived in San Diego many people's theory on why it's so safe there is because the weather makes everyone happy so there's no reason to commit crimes. But I think demographics and economics have more to do it. Majority of the city is middle class to upper middle class, and there is little poverty. What is considered the worst neighborhoods of San Diego would be considered average middle class neighborhoods by many other cities standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 06:49 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Dover, MA: 1

Rich people do weird things

Old 05-22-2020, 06:54 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
When I lived in San Diego many people's theory on why it's so safe there is because the weather makes everyone happy so there's no reason to commit crimes. But I think demographics and economics have more to do it. Majority of the city is middle class to upper middle class, and there is little poverty. What is considered the worst neighborhoods of San Diego would be considered average middle class neighborhoods by many other cities standards.
San Diego was bad 80,90s but around 2006-2008 gentrification started it pick up in 2009 it push a lot of people out of the city to Texas, Phoenix etc

Old 05-22-2020, 07:23 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Why is cloud cover being turned into a topic or significant crime condition?? Last I read about crime is the HEAT of a summer and add humidity is when spikes in crime are documented. Add some holidays that are a none cloudiness perfect storm happens in these areas. Just review the stats on times of the year spikes happen and days of the week etc.

I suggest you read these articles on weather and crime:

https://www.zmescience.com/science/w...nection-04234/
https://www.webmd.com/balance/featur...get-you-down#1
https://www.city-data.com/blog/28-wea...t-crime-rates/

Old 05-22-2020, 10:03 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
I wonder what’s going on in Houston

Old 05-22-2020, 11:02 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
When I lived in San Diego many people's theory on why it's so safe there is because the weather makes everyone happy so there's no reason to commit crimes.
Well, I do think it is uplifting if anything. Or maybe it's because people are active (due to the weather) and destress.

Quote:
Exercise gives you endorphins
Endorphins make you happy
Happy people don't shoot their husbands.
They just don't
- Legally Blonde

Quote:
But I think demographics and economics have more to do it. Majority of the city is middle class to upper middle class, and there is little poverty. What is considered the worst neighborhoods of San Diego would be considered average middle class neighborhoods by many other cities standards.
  1. The City of San Diego has a very low rate in part because the city boundaries include a significant amount of middle and upper-middle class suburbia. This is in contrast to many other major cities (especially outside the sunbelt), which have city boundaries that only include urban neighborhoods and inner-ring suburbs. Although, I still think San Diego would have pretty low crime even if city boundaries were limited to the "unsafe" parts of town. As you mentioned, the worst SD neighborhoods look middle class by many other city standards. Note that City of San Diego crime rates are pretty comparable to the region as whole, which is also one of the safest regions in the country.

A region of 3.4 million people only had 86 homicides last year, the 4th lowest on records dating back 40 years. Lowest burglary, larceny, and property crime rates in 40 years. 2019 violent crime not too far off from 40 year low. Numbers were released this week: https://sandag.org/uploads/publicati...4669_27472.pdf

2. Diversity and lower incomes are also spread across the region, instead of hyper concentrated poverty. In general, each jurisdiction plays its own part in improving the living standards and conditions of their most disadvantage groups. This isn't disproportionately the burden of the region's prime or most urban cities, which is the case for many other regions. Furthermore, each local jurisdiction in SD County does a pretty good job at providing critical services...actually an amazingly good job. Look at public/subsidized/affordable housing in San Diego. It's often nicer than market housing (seriously): Vista, Oceanside, San Marcos, San Diego-1, San Diego-2 group housing
  3. Police enforcement in San Diego is very well coordinated across the county. In general, being in a single county allows San Diego to coordinate critical services (anti-graffiti task force, one library system, for instance.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:23 PM

New York City 126
Los Angeles 102
Chicago 179
Houston 136
Philly 146
Detroit 86
Baltimore 111
Boston 18
Denver 28
Washington DC 58
Saint Louis 59
Dallas 64
New Orleans 58
Indianapolis 55
Atlanta 33

Jacksonville, Florida 54
Little Rock, Arkansas 17
Tampa, Florida 13
Tucson, Arizona 16
Macon, Georgia 23
Hartford, CT 10
New Haven, CT 4
Compton, Cali 8
Columbia, SC 10
Trenton, NJ 11
Orangeburg, SC 3
Spencer, OK 4

Old 05-22-2020, 06:07 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,891 times
Web MD and cloudiness gets you down? Is PA where I live really more sunny to cut down on crime? I think not. The first thing ZME Science link says is -Warm Weather spikes.

California thru Nevada should then have the least crime no matter what poverty levels or minority levels apparently. For me Cloudy days keep me inside more. At night it does not matter. Clouds or no clouds with city lights.

Now every city you can easily see stats that highlight summers and hottest weeks and weekends show spikes in crime. The rest is minor. Perhaps the degree of living in a concrete jungle plays a roll? But we have ghettos with lots of green and trees among homes too. I personally do not like crime threads. They generally insult cities and when I saw cloudiness as another dissing point for the Midwest Great Lakes cities. I posted what I did about stats clearly show the summer heat spike.

I won't go into East Coast major city spikes so far this year as it has less cloudiness so it should not happen vs the cities our Great Lakes where these lakes . may effect clouds A Miami and cloudiness .. I did not get? It is not billed a cloudy city to tourist. Showers are short as much of Florida has them.over solid cloudy days and weeks. I have been thru a lot of cloudy days in the East this Spring. I guess that is then why East Coast cities have had spikes before the summer heat?

Old 05-22-2020, 07:14 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I wonder what’s going on in Houston
Me too. It seems a lot worse this year. Is is going to continue to get worse? It's weird though. I look up "Houston homicides" or "Milwaukee homicides" on Google News, and I literally find no local articles about the spikes in homicides. The most I see is an article about an individual homicide here and there and it doesn't even show "this is the city's X homicide" or "there have been X amount homicides in the city this year". If you look up the same for Chicago or Philly, you always see an article about the current crime situation or an op ed from someone at a major newspaper.

Last edited by KoNgFooCj; 05-22-2020 at 07:23 PM..

Old 05-22-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Me too. It seems a lot worse this year. Is is going to continue to get worse? It's weird though. I look up "Houston homicides" or "Milwaukee homicides" on Google News, and I literally find no local articles about the spikes in homicides. The most I see is an article about an individual homicide here and there and it doesn't even show "this is the city's X homicide" or "there have been X amount homicides in the city this year". If you look up the same for Chicago or Philly, you always see an article about the current crime situation or an op ed from someone at a major newspaper.
Houston latest https://abc13.com/coronavirus-covid-...rders/6202896/

1.5 weeks ago https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...tings-70551248

Milwaukee is seeing a spike in homicides, and nearly half of them are related to domestic or family violence

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ce/3121220001/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City