Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2020, 11:17 AM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Correct. Also remember almost no one legally owns a gun in Bsoton because you have to take a Boston Police Department course, personally interview with the police commissioner, pay for a permit etc etc. No one legally owns guns in Boston. Almost every single shooting is an illegal firearms that has been acquired with drugs or cash from people in NH/VT. Gun crime will be lower. But Boston has a very high assault rate , which are the non fatal stabbings.
I don't think Jackson have more shootings than Boston. Jackson have about 120-130 shootings in this timeframe. There's shootings that goes uncall like other metro cities but nothing new.

Denology and others like this individual have the mischewed experssion on " hard/soft" cities. It's baffling and shouldn't hold any grain of salt to those that live in our cities. Most of the funk is over petite/domestic problems plus other social issues at the end of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 11:33 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkSomeWater View Post
BostonBornMassMade is the realest Boston native poster on here.

He likes to fact check those who like to espouse the lily white transient yuppie aspects of Boston, which has taken over it's image since gentrification.

Actual Boston is anything but.
I appreciate this. I won’t get I to the media portrayal/visitor perception of Boston. I’ve got load of empirical and anecdotal evidence And I’ve already gone into many times. I just write about what I know well and what I actually lived, and that don’t include Cheers or Sweet Caroline lol...

End of the day Boston isn’t soft but it’s pretty safe as a whole. it’s jus uneven. I think since 2016 maybe 5(?) white people have been murdered? I know they were o of the ~57 homicides in 2018. It’s simply not affecting a large part of the city (like not at all) and 90-% of the metro. Taken from a white visitors vantage point yea it’s probably soft as baby doo. Idk, that’s really never been my world.

And this goes to what Shariff said-soft isn’t all about crime, that goes for any city. A lot has to to do with drug abuse, living conditions, housing quality, environmental health, oppurtunity, weather, education etc etc

Old 05-20-2020, 03:40 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
New York City 123
Los Angeles 100
Philly 142
Houston 135
Minneapolis 16
Fort Worth, TX 24
Seattle 9
Indianapolis 54
Boston 17
San Diego 14
Aurora, CO 4
Fresno, Cali 11
Saint Louis 57
Schenectady, NY 1

Old 05-20-2020, 09:29 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
New York City 123
Los Angeles 100
Philly 142
Houston 135
Minneapolis 16
Fort Worth, TX 24
Seattle 9
Indianapolis 54
Boston 17
San Diego 14
Aurora, CO 4
Fresno, Cali 11
Saint Louis 57
Schenectady, NY 1

St Louis is less than Half Indianapolis' population with more homicides.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:39 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
I appreciate this. I won’t get I to the media portrayal/visitor perception of Boston. I’ve got load of empirical and anecdotal evidence And I’ve already gone into many times. I just write about what I know well and what I actually lived, and that don’t include Cheers or Sweet Caroline lol...

End of the day Boston isn’t soft but it’s pretty safe as a whole. it’s jus uneven. I think since 2016 maybe 5(?) white people have been murdered? I know they were o of the ~57 homicides in 2018. It’s simply not affecting a large part of the city (like not at all) and 90-% of the metro. Taken from a white visitors vantage point yea it’s probably soft as baby doo. Idk, that’s really never been my world.

And this goes to what Shariff said-soft isn’t all about crime, that goes for any city. A lot has to to do with drug abuse, living conditions, housing quality, environmental health, oppurtunity, weather, education etc etc
Yeah going to Dorchester is a very different experience than staying in the Seaport. Where my dads from is the most dangerous neighborhood in Boston and has saw 8 of the first 11 murders othe year.. I think the ratio is 13/17 now.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:48 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah going to Dorchester is a very different experience than staying in the Seaport. Where my dads from is the most dangerous neighborhood in Boston and has saw 8 of the first 11 murders othe year.. I think the ratio is 13/17 now.
So he’s from Dorchester..but the question is what part? because we know Cedar Grove isn’t Franklin Field lol.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:00 AM

747 posts, read 497,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
New York City 123
Los Angeles 100
Philly 142
Houston 135
Minneapolis 16
Fort Worth, TX 24
Seattle 9
Indianapolis 54
Boston 17
San Diego 14
Aurora, CO 4
Fresno, Cali 11
Saint Louis 57
Schenectady, NY 1
Wow, Seattle with 700,000+ people and only 9 homicides. Truly one of the safest large cities in America. Very impressive. San Diego too.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:25 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
New York City 125
Los Angeles 101
Chicago 179
Philly 144
Detroit 84
Memphis 76
Las Vegas Metro 26
Orlando 24
Charlotte, NC 36
New Orleans 57

Birmingham, AL 40
Chester, PA 19
Peoria, IL 4
Glendale, Cali 2
Newport News, VA 5
Champaign, IL 2
Petersburg, VA 12
Orange, NJ 2

Old 05-21-2020, 11:59 AM

274 posts, read 173,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
Wow, Seattle with 700,000+ people and only 9 homicides. Truly one of the safest large cities in America. Very impressive. San Diego too.
Very, that's one of the big reason's why Seattle's population is skyrocketing, Austin too, except Austin seems to have had an uptick this year.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:21 PM

3,864 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Correct. Also remember almost no one legally owns a gun in Bsoton because you have to take a Boston Police Department course, personally interview with the police commissioner, pay for a permit etc etc. No one legally owns guns in Boston. Almost every single shooting is an illegal firearms that has been acquired with drugs or cash from people in NH/VT. Gun crime will be lower. But Boston has a very high assault rate , which are the non fatal stabbings.
Agreed. The test in Boston is not easy. In addition to your notes you also have to take a live fire test on Moon island and score at a certain accuracy. Personally I think its a good requirement, as you shouldnt be carrying if you cant pass that test. Even though many disagree, especially when coming from other states.

I have an unrestricted LTC that I got in a neighboring area to Boston, but just as difficult, if even more restrictive. But it is not impossible to get your unrestricted LTC if you follow the steps closely and show you are a responsible and experience gun owner.

With that said all the gun crime in Boston is illegal guns, similar to most places. The crime in Boston kind of reminds me of London. Less gun crime, but still quite a few assaults. London is hardly soft and Boston the same, but having less gun crime and in most cases less people of colour getting bodied should be applauded, not ridiculed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City