Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 03:25 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Or NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Philly and other historical magnets.

It is interesting looking at those old Ebony articles I posted how Denver was mentioned multiple times and I believe that Columbus OH was mentioned in one of them, if I'm not mistaken.

I also thought that the article of places where black households median household income was higher than the white median household income was interesting, because I wonder if that is still the case for those cities/towns. From what I could see, Carson CA and Southfield MI are a couple of places where this is still the case.
West Babylon NY and Ladera Heights CA fit the criteria in terms of median household income as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 08:53 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Here's an interesting article in light of some things we've discussed here: The Most Diverse Cities Are Often The Most Segregated | FiveThirtyEight

This is also being discussed in another thread. As someone there pointed out: "Most integrated" is codespeak for "few African Americans". "Most segregated" is codespeak for "many African Americans". Every city on the "most integrated" list has almost no blacks, and every city on the "most segregated" list has a huge % of blacks.

It should also be pointed out that this study is for cities proper, not metropolitan areas.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Here's an interesting article in light of some things we've discussed here: The Most Diverse Cities Are Often The Most Segregated | FiveThirtyEight

This is also being discussed in another thread. As someone there pointed out: "Most integrated" is codespeak for "few African Americans". "Most segregated" is codespeak for "many African Americans". Every city on the "most integrated" list has almost no blacks, and every city on the "most segregated" list has a huge % of blacks.

It should also be pointed out that this study is for cities proper, not metropolitan areas.
What also has to be considered is that within cities/metro areas, you can find integrated neighborhoods, even if the city/metro is viewed as being "segregated" and vice versa. Just to use Chicago, a suburban city like Evanston is very diverse and has integrated neighborhoods. Same with Homewood and Flossmoor in its southern suburbs.

Also, looking at the article, Sacramento is the Blackest city that ranks highly on all of the diversity/integration categories at 16-17% Black. US2010

Its mayor is former Phoenix Suns point guard, Cal grad and Sacramento native Kevin Johnson. Mayor - Biography - City of Sacramento

Old 12-31-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
What also has to be considered is that within cities/metro areas, you can find integrated neighborhoods, even if the city/metro is viewed as being "segregated" and vice versa. Just to use Chicago, a suburban city like Evanston is very diverse and has integrated neighborhoods. Same with Homewood and Flossmoor in its southern suburbs.
Yeah, Hyde Park, President Obama's neighborhood, is fairly integrated as the article mentioned but is an island in its immediate area.

Quote:
Also, looking at the article, Sacramento is the Blackest city that ranks highly on all of the diversity/integration categories at 16-17% Black. US2010

Its mayor is former Phoenix Suns point guard, Cal grad and Sacramento native Kevin Johnson. Mayor - Biography - City of Sacramento
True, but I think the real standout is Jersey City, which 21.5% non-Hispanic White, 25.8% Black, 23.7% Asian, and 27.6% Hispanic of any race. That's about as balanced as you can get and I had no clue it was that diverse. I wonder what the Black stats look like in terms income, educational attainment, etc.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:12 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutiny77 View Post
here's an interesting article in light of some things we've discussed here: the most diverse cities are often the most segregated | fivethirtyeight

this is also being discussed in another thread. As someone there pointed out: "most integrated" is codespeak for "few african americans". "most segregated" is codespeak for "many african americans". Every city on the "most integrated" list has almost no blacks, and every city on the "most segregated" list has a huge % of blacks.

it should also be pointed out that this study is for cities proper, not metropolitan areas.
+2

Old 12-31-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Hyde Park, President Obama's neighborhood, is fairly integrated as the article mentioned but is an island in its immediate area.

True, but I think the real standout is Jersey City, which 21.5% non-Hispanic White, 25.8% Black, 23.7% Asian, and 27.6% Hispanic of any race. That's about as balanced as you can get and I had no clue it was that diverse. I wonder what the Black stats look like in terms income, educational attainment, etc.
Yeah, Jersey City and Oakland have been pretty much neck and neck in this regard.

From what I can see, the Black median household income is in between the state and national figures in that regard. I'm sure there are parts of the city that have a pretty high Black percentage and that are relatively middle income like the SW corner of the city.

I think in Chicago, some of the outer SW and N neighborhoods are pretty integrated as well. In the SW, there are quite a few Irish and middle class Black folks in/near neighborhoods like Morgan Park and Beverly. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly,_Chicago
Curious City: How did Chicago

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Park,_Chicago

Here is Rogers Park, a far northern neighborhood in Chicago: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Park,_Chicago

And adjacent West Ridge and Edgewater: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Ridge,_Chicago

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgewater,_Chicago

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-31-2015 at 11:25 AM..

Old 12-31-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
In the SW, there are quite a few Irish and middle class Black folks in/near neighborhoods like Morgan Park and Beverly.
Oh I'm sure there's some very interesting history behind that one.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:57 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
As someone there pointed out: "Most integrated" is codespeak for "few African Americans". "Most segregated" is codespeak for "many African Americans". Every city on the "most integrated" list has almost no blacks, and every city on the "most segregated" list has a huge % of blacks.
Most likely true for those cities in the West, but Garland's Black percentage is currently at 13.1% (about 31K) which would place it just above the national average. So that's like saying the US has "almost no blacks".

Old 12-31-2015, 02:15 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Missouri City, TX has the most unusual demographics of any suburb I'm aware of:

42.7% Black
23.8% White
15.5% Asian
15.1% Hispanic
2.2 % Two or more races
0.2% Other race alone
0.09% American Indian alone

Mind you, this is an overwhelmingly upper middle class town where the average household income is over $89K.

It also may be the only city in Texas in which Hispanics are the smallest of the four "main" groups. It's one of only a few in which they're outnumbered by Asians (does this happen anywhere else in the South?).

Old 12-31-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Most likely true for those cities in the West, but Garland's Black percentage is currently at 13.1% (about 31K) which would place it just above the national average. So that's like saying the US has "almost no blacks".
There are other cities out West that have a Black percentage around the national percentage, give or take, on those lists. I think it is just that once you go outside of these select cities, the percentages tend to be pretty low.

As for diverse suburbs in the South, there are suburbs of Atlanta with high Asian percentages like Duluth and Morrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City