Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 10:54 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Is the black mecca thing the only thing that Atlanta has going for it? I, mean, y'all will die if someone takes that made up title away.
No, but it's a very important one. That's what the title was about. In a country where blacks struggle economically and socially, being a black mecca is certainly important to blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 10:58 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Is the black mecca thing the only thing that Atlanta has going for it? I, mean, y'all will die if someone takes that made up title away.
I guess you missed the title of this thread. And don't act like you haven't been pushing Houston as a Black mecca in this thread lol.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
But in the spirit of celebrating Black American culture: the Prairie View A&M Marching Storm

That's fine and dandy, but you do know you're up against a city that has two of the most well known HBCUs in the country right: Morehouse and Spelman? Not to mention, there's still Clark Atlanta.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:00 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah, because it's not like we've not been opposed at every turn on the basis of skin color and the promotion of our group interests have been in response to that. That's not the case whatsoever.

Well thanks for letting me know that Texas is an #alllivesmatter kind of place. I'll keep my distance.
I never said anti-Black prejudice was not a problem in this country. But I remember learning in elementary school that two wrongs do not make a right. Don't you? The "wrong" being in teaching our people that it is beneficial to align ourselves by skin color in a nation where we only make up 12% of the population and even less of the power and wealth.

Please give me just one example of a problem that racial divisiveness has solved. Is separate but equal what you really want?

Old 12-22-2015, 11:02 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
I never said anti-Black prejudice was not a problem in this country. But I remember learning in elementary school that two wrongs do not make a right. Don't you? The "wrong" being in teaching our people that it is beneficial to align ourselves by skin color in a nation where we only make up 12% of the population and even less of the power and wealth.

Please give me just one example of a problem that racial divisiveness has solved.
How is that "wrong"? How is prioritizing our own interests as a people wrong (and we are a cultural/ethnic group, not just one with darker skin)? Forget the week, this is the dumbest thing I've heard all year.

Falsely characterizing this as racial divisiveness/racism is just absurd. Does your TV stay glued to Fox News or something?

Old 12-22-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Please give me just one example of a problem that racial divisiveness has solved.
I used to be like you, probably two years ago and I fully see where you're coming from, but quite frankly, the last year or so have really open my eyes to reality. Humans will always be "tribal". It's just human nature.

The thing is ...is that blacks can't ignore reality and ignore everything going on around them and most importantly to them. If you do, progress isn't made.

That being said, I'm not like a black racist or something. I fully believe there are plenty of great white people and fully believe there are black people who use "racism" to excuse their own problems, issues, and bad decisions. I will fully criticize some black communities for their rampant violence/crime, homophobia, and anti-intellectualism.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:07 AM

183 posts, read 249,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
That's fine and dandy, but you do know you're up against a city that has two of the most well known HBCUs in the country right: Morehouse and Spelman? Not to mention, there's still Clark Atlanta.
The Houston area's best HBCU, Prairie View A&M, isn't even in the city. It's like 40 miles away in the middle of the country.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:37 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,750,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta might be "overrated" in terms of being a black mecca, but it's the only majority black city in the world to get "Alpha" status and be ranked top 50 internationally on most lists. .
No it isnt. I think that's why the thread starter made a criteria. People can give opinions all day but they will not post their cities qualifications against Atlanta with the list the OP gave on the first page. People lie, numbers don't..........................If someone thinks there is another better black mecca go ahead and post your answers for your city in this criteria below

Nightlife: Must have a diverse nightlife for all blacks. All blacks to include professionals, neo soul/spoken word crowd, etc. Does the averageprofessional black person have at least 10 options per night on the weekend for places to go to that aren’t ratchet? In most cities it is easy to find ghetto spots but what about places with well dress professionals? Nightlife should consist of live music, mega clubs, lounges, dive bars, happy hours, networking events, etc. Are there at least two places that are packed on Monday and Tuesday night?

Middle Class/Upper Middle Class neighborhoods: Your city musthave at least 20 middle class majority AA subdivisions. For this topic amajority is at least 80% instead of 51%

Radio stations: Must have at least four radio stations that play either R&B, Hip Hop/Old School music

Black Events: City must have at least five huge homegrown events that bring at least 30,000 people to the city annually. Homecoming and national music tours do not count since they are unique to any city.

HBCU: Must have at least one well known historical black college within the metro area

History: What significant national history does your city have regarding African Americans?

Trends: What trends have your city created? Not local trends but national trends

Black businesses: Your city must have plenty of black businesses. Not just talking about hair salons and wing stands.

Mayor: Said city must have had at least 3 AA mayors in the past 30 years.

Unemployment Rate: Since most cities are out of the recession I decided not to include this

Old 12-22-2015, 11:40 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,750,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Lol boy please... get the hell out your feelings. I was actually giving Atlanta itself some props and talking more about a group of people, many of whom know nothing about Atlanta. Also, that's BULLSH*T. I like Atlanta and all but country ass suburban sprawl, streets without sidewalks, even many main streets were built suburban with a lack of storefronts on them not to mention a retarded freeway system. And I've seen plenty of neighborhoods in even suburbs of Atlanta that are flat out ghetto. Architecture and overall culture goes to Detroit. So does sports. There are alot more nice areas in Metro Detroit than not so nice areas. In a better location? to what? rednecks? Michigan scenery is far better, not to mention across from another country. Atlanta closer to more important cities like what? Dallas, Houston, and Miami is a good 10 hour drive. Chicago, New York, Philly, DC, Toronto and Boston are all closer to Detroit. The only college in Atlanta up there with UofM is Emory which is alot smaller. What can you do in Atlanta (entertainment) that you can't do in Detroit? The only thing that sets ATL apart is the last call hour for nightlife and black colleges, oh and the gay scene, anything else is tit for tat. Atlanta's unemployment rate is less than 1% lower than Detroit's. And Detroit still has more millionaires Looking for Millionaires? Try These U.S. Cities. - Total Return - WSJ and better more wealthy suburbs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States Food scene? ahh that's a tough one, we might got y'all beat internationally https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...ies-in-america the food scene is diverse up here bruh. Better weather? only in the winter, I'll take four seasons over extremely hot and humid and not to mention flying roaches and mosquitoes the size of D batteries any day. Detroit and Atlanta both has more festivals than you will ever have time to even go to. Better looking people? ha, not really. But that's subjective too because half the time I'm trying to see if they have an Adams apple.

None of this has nothing to do with the topic but see how easy it is to be petty and act a damn fool on here... I can do it too. I never said anything disrespectful about your city and idk how Detroit got into this conversation in the first place because you obviously know nothing about it. Saying something is slightly overrated has nothing to do with where you come from. It really doesn't even have anything to do with Atlanta itself. It has everything to do with perception vs reality and you know damn well those real quotes I used are not true about Atlanta. And it would still remain untrue rather I was in Detroit, Mississippi Delta, Cali, or Cuba. Any place could be overrated or underrated in some people's opinion, it all depends on how they perceived it before they went. Now... you are BANNED for being a ignorant ass ni*ga and acting like a bit*h (oops, there I go stooping to your level again).
I didn't read this. All I know is Detoilet is a garbage. Whoever that chooses to live there has no opinion in this thread. Merry Christmas brother!

Old 12-22-2015, 11:40 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I guess you missed the title of this thread. And don't act like you haven't been pushing Houston as a Black mecca in this thread lol.
But I don't get offended like y'all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City