Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 09:29 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes, it's true across the board. With cities building up their cores, a lot of stand-alone clubs and bars have been razed to make way for new development. It kinda sucks but it's the price of progress I suppose.
Yea I heard NYC's club scene isn't even what it was before it got gentrified. But it might just be my generation in general. Idk if the technology did it or what. I found a article talking about this Bid Farewell: Why Millennials Are Abandoning Nightclubs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 09:57 PM

183 posts, read 249,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
How so?

Dallas is a bit more arguable, but Houston has an absolute advantage. Black Houstonians are far more likely to live among people of other ethnicities. There are few communities left in the state where Blacks make up more than 60% of the population; compared to Black Atlantans who mostly live in communities where they are the overwhelming majority, thus giving them less exposure to other cultures.

My theory is that the large Hispanic population has acted as somewhat of a sponge between the common Black vs. White friction.
What advantages do Black Houstonians really have? Black Atlantans have a lower poverty rate and higher educational attainment than their peers in Houston.

For the most part, all your so-called 'more integrated society' means for blacks in Houston is, there's a higher probability that another ethnic group is selling their goods and sevices to local blacks.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:52 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
How so?

Dallas is a bit more arguable, but Houston has an absolute advantage. Black Houstonians are far more likely to live among people of other ethnicities. There are few communities left in the state where Blacks make up more than 60% of the population; compared to Black Atlantans who mostly live in communities where they are the overwhelming majority, thus giving them less exposure to other cultures.

My theory is that the large Hispanic population has acted as somewhat of a sponge between the common Black vs. White friction.
You mean, Latinos and Hispanics have become the punching bag since their numbers are a lot greater than blacks in the Houston area. The Houston area is contributing to the reason Trump is doing so well at the polls right now.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:58 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
What advantages do Black Houstonians really have? Black Atlantans have a lower poverty rate and higher educational attainment than their peers in Houston.
I'm speaking in terms of social advantages when it comes to race relations. Economic and educational status are not everything.

Poverty and a lack of education are still very real problems in Atlanta, just as they are anywhere else.

Quote:
For the most part, all your so-called 'more integrated society' means for blacks in Houston is, there's a higher probability that another ethnic group is selling their goods and sevices to local blacks.
You mean like all of those Korean owned hot wing restaurants and Middle Eastern corner stores in every Black neighborhood in Atlanta?

You can continue to spin this all you'd like, but earlier you pointed out the "ridiculousness" of my statement as if you were able to disprove it, yet you still haven't done so. You can do that or you can move on, because I'm not interested in any more of your straw mans.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You mean, Latinos and Hispanics have become the punching bag since their numbers are a lot greater than blacks in the Houston area.
In what ways have they become a "punching bag"? Be specific.

Quote:
The Houston area is contributing to the reason Trump is doing so well at the polls right now.
Trump is doing well with Republicans all over the nation, including the ones in metro Atlanta.

What other lame argument do you have as a way to divert attention from the fact that Houston is more diverse and integrated than Atlanta? Poncey used up all of his. You've got one more.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:20 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
You make a good point. I think most of the "overhypeness" stems from people who thought a good job would just automatically land in their lap if they moved to Atlanta. Sure the COL is cheaper than in Northern big cities in particular, but if you have little in the way of education or skills, you'll have little in the way of opportunity--in Atlanta or anywhere else. And then there's the fact that the city's nightlife, while still quite vibrant and easily among the best for Blacks anywhere, is a bit tamer than it used to be.
Gentrification. SMH.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:31 AM

93,321 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
He was originally from the Eastern Shore of MD and lived in New Bedford MA before moving to Rochester.

Harriet Tubman was also from the Eastern Shore of MD, but lived 50 minutes east of Rochester: Video: Insight 6/19/15 | Watch Insight Online | WCNY/Channel 24 Video
More historical information: African American History of Western New York

The Freedom Trail in Syracuse and Onondaga County, NY

The Freedom Trail in Syracuse and Onondaga County, NY

Old 12-22-2015, 07:41 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
But alotta new blacks to Houston are from Atlanta and like Houston much better, but hey, who am I? I'm going to let Gunion Powder continue to hold it down for Houston

Old 12-22-2015, 07:44 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Gentrification. SMH.
Which is happening everywhere, but that's not solely to blame in Atlanta. One major reason is the city's decision to shut down Buckhead Village due to crime concerns and complaints from neighbors. In its heyday, that area was BONKERS....almost like Atlanta's own Bourbon Street.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Which is happening everywhere, but that's not solely to blame in Atlanta. One major reason is the city's decision to shut down Buckhead Village due to crime concerns and complaints from neighbors. In its heyday, that area was BONKERS....almost like Atlanta's own Bourbon Street.
...a tourist trap that most locals largely avoided?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City