Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 11:21 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Even though Philadelphia and Detroit are poorer cities they seem to do well with this metric. Could that be because of the black political leadership in the cities or maybe because of the unions???
I wouldn't say so. I'd say it has more to do with the fact you don't have tons of super high-earning White guys in those cities.

Quote:
I really surprised at Miami i knew it was bad but its really shocking to how low the income numbers are for black males in Miami,florida. Once again Washington DC shines in the percentage amount as well. But not just for black males but any male of any minority group will probably earn more in NY and DC,SF because those areas have higher paying jobs and higher cost of living as well.
Yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 11:28 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
How was the black culture/feel in your opinion?
From what I experienced, it seemed there's a nice contingent of Black professionals in Dallas. I didn't get a chance to explore more of the city so I can't say how it balances against the more blue-collar/working-class contingent though.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:30 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Even though Philadelphia and Detroit are poorer cities they seem to do well with this metric. Could that be because of the black political leadership in the cities or maybe because of the unions???

I really surprised at Miami i knew it was bad but its really shocking to how low the income numbers are for black males in Miami,florida. Once again Washington DC shines in the percentage amount as well. But not just for black males but any male of any minority group will probably earn more in NY and DC,SF because those areas have higher paying jobs and higher cost of living as well.
Having a good bit of Black Caribbean immigrants probably skews Miami's numbers somewhat.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:42 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
These are only tiny neighborhoods, but I thought it was pretty interesting, especially for someone who wants to live amongst middle class to affluent blacks. Richest black neighborhoods in the US.

10 of the Richest Black Communities in America - Page 5 of 5 - Atlanta Blackstar

1. View Park-Windsor Hills, CaliforniaView Park-Windsor Hills is an affluent Black community with an average family income of $159,168. View Park-Windsor Hills are part of a band of districts, from Culver City’s Fox Hills district on the west to the Los Angeles district of Leimert Park. The area is the single largest geographically middle- and upper-class Black community in the United States.

2. Baldwin Hills, CaliforniaBaldwin Hills has a median family income of $157,033, which secures it as one of the richest Black communities in the United States. The community was given the nickname the Black Beverly Hills after African Americans began moving into the area, especially musicians and film actors.

3. Ladera Heights, CaliforniaLadera Heights is an affluent Black prestigious community in California. The average family income is $132,824. Much of the area’s appeal stems from the stunning views of the Pacific Ocean available from many hillside houses, as well as its proximity to beaches and Hollywood.

4. Mitchellville, MarylandMitchellville, too, is a upper-middle-class African-American community in Maryland. The average family income of this town is $118,022. Residents of Mitchellville take tremendous pride in their friendly community and beautiful homes. It offers its population access to excellent public schools, which boast high test performance and a graduation rate of more than 80 percent. Most students go on to pursue college degrees, and have easy access to prestigious nearby institutions such as Johns Hopkins University, Georgetown University, and the U.S. Naval Academy.

5. Fort Washington, MarylandFort Washington is an upper-middle-class Black community, which borders Washington, D.C., just south of the downtown district. It is a prosperous community with a median family income of $114,243. Extending over 14 square miles, Fort Washington is home to families with children, young professionals and college students. More than a third of residents have a bachelor’s or advanced college degree.

6. Kettering, MarylandKettering is also a thriving African-American community in Prince George’s County, Md. The average family income for this town is $107,008. Kettering has a population of 78.5% Black people, safely landing it on this list of the wealthiest African-American communities in the United States.

7. Woodmore, MarylandA suburban community in Prince George’s County, Maryland, Woodmore is an affluent African-American town with a median family income of $103,438. With a majority population of Black people, Woodmore is one of the wealthiest African-American communities in the United States.

8. Friendly, MarylandFriendly is a upper-middle-class Black community in Prince George’s County, Md. Landing in at the eighth spot, Friendly’s average family income is $82,827, solidifying its place as an affluent African-American community in the United States.

9. Hillcrest, New YorkHillcrest is another middle-class Black community in New York. The median family income is $76,960, securing Hillcrest a spot on the list as one of the most prosperous African-American communities in the United States.

10. Uniondale, New YorkUniondale is a middle class predominately Black community in the suburbs of New York City. The average family income is $76,553, which makes the town one of the most flourishing African-American cities in the United States.

Just a few observations from the previous few posts. I know LA is losing blacks(or they are just shrinking percentage wise), but some of the ones who are staying appear to be doing pretty well. The DMV is a real beast when it comes to black affluence. Honestly, before joining CD I had no idea blacks were doing this well in the DMV.

I'm surprised but not surprised that most of these places, besides LA are in the burbs.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:24 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
As mentioned before, this list leaves out a lot of areas in other metros.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
These are only tiny neighborhoods, but I thought it was pretty interesting, especially for someone who wants to live amongst middle class to affluent blacks. Richest black neighborhoods in the US.

10 of the Richest Black Communities in America - Page 5 of 5 - Atlanta Blackstar

1. View Park-Windsor Hills, CaliforniaView Park-Windsor Hills is an affluent Black community with an average family income of $159,168. View Park-Windsor Hills are part of a band of districts, from Culver City’s Fox Hills district on the west to the Los Angeles district of Leimert Park. The area is the single largest geographically middle- and upper-class Black community in the United States.

2. Baldwin Hills, CaliforniaBaldwin Hills has a median family income of $157,033, which secures it as one of the richest Black communities in the United States. The community was given the nickname the Black Beverly Hills after African Americans began moving into the area, especially musicians and film actors.

3. Ladera Heights, CaliforniaLadera Heights is an affluent Black prestigious community in California. The average family income is $132,824. Much of the area’s appeal stems from the stunning views of the Pacific Ocean available from many hillside houses, as well as its proximity to beaches and Hollywood.

4. Mitchellville, MarylandMitchellville, too, is a upper-middle-class African-American community in Maryland. The average family income of this town is $118,022. Residents of Mitchellville take tremendous pride in their friendly community and beautiful homes. It offers its population access to excellent public schools, which boast high test performance and a graduation rate of more than 80 percent. Most students go on to pursue college degrees, and have easy access to prestigious nearby institutions such as Johns Hopkins University, Georgetown University, and the U.S. Naval Academy.

5. Fort Washington, MarylandFort Washington is an upper-middle-class Black community, which borders Washington, D.C., just south of the downtown district. It is a prosperous community with a median family income of $114,243. Extending over 14 square miles, Fort Washington is home to families with children, young professionals and college students. More than a third of residents have a bachelor’s or advanced college degree.

6. Kettering, MarylandKettering is also a thriving African-American community in Prince George’s County, Md. The average family income for this town is $107,008. Kettering has a population of 78.5% Black people, safely landing it on this list of the wealthiest African-American communities in the United States.

7. Woodmore, MarylandA suburban community in Prince George’s County, Maryland, Woodmore is an affluent African-American town with a median family income of $103,438. With a majority population of Black people, Woodmore is one of the wealthiest African-American communities in the United States.

8. Friendly, MarylandFriendly is a upper-middle-class Black community in Prince George’s County, Md. Landing in at the eighth spot, Friendly’s average family income is $82,827, solidifying its place as an affluent African-American community in the United States.

9. Hillcrest, New YorkHillcrest is another middle-class Black community in New York. The median family income is $76,960, securing Hillcrest a spot on the list as one of the most prosperous African-American communities in the United States.

10. Uniondale, New YorkUniondale is a middle class predominately Black community in the suburbs of New York City. The average family income is $76,553, which makes the town one of the most flourishing African-American cities in the United States.

Just a few observations from the previous few posts. I know LA is losing blacks(or they are just shrinking percentage wise), but some of the ones who are staying appear to be doing pretty well. The DMV is a real beast when it comes to black affluence. Honestly, before joining CD I had no idea blacks were doing this well in the DMV.
Some places that were left off of this list: Lakeview, NY - USA.comâ„¢
Lakeview, NY Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢
Lakeview, NY Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢

Olympia Fields, IL - USA.comâ„¢
Olympia Fields, IL Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢
Olympia Fields, IL Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢

Lathrup Village, MI - USA.comâ„¢
Lathrup Village, MI Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢
Lathrup Village, MI Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢

Old 11-18-2015, 08:21 AM

640 posts, read 1,296,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Number and Percentage of African American Males Earning $100,000 or more by MSA (Full-Time Employment)

New York - 41,508 (8.5%)
Washington - 40,503 (15.5%)
Atlanta - 19,265 (7.4%)
Los Angeles - 14,462 (12.3%)
Chicago - 13,669 (7.5%)
Houston - 13,030 (8.2%)
Dallas - 10,848 (7.0%)
Philadelphia - 10,365 (6.6%)
San Francisco - 7,355 (15.5%)
Miami - 7,048 (4.4%)
Detroit - 6,746 (7.3%)
Boston - 4,187 (8.1%)
When compared to the greater population this is a very small amount of men. Black men have lot of work to do to close the earnings gap with White,Asian and Hispanic men. Once again NYC and Washington DC have the highest numbers of higher earning men.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:30 PM

641 posts, read 802,469 times
Quote:
When compared to the greater population this is a very small amount of men. Black men have lot of work to do to close the earnings gap with White,Asian and Hispanic men. Once again NYC and Washington DC have the highest numbers of higher earning men.
I don't think u measure success by raw numbers. % is always better. You could say NYC is more dangerous than Kansas City bc it has more murders but you actually have to look at the murder rate per 1000 residents.

Likewise, larger % of blacks doing better in one metro is better than a metro with a smaller % but higher raw numbers. In your case I'd also adjust for cost of living to get a more accurate picture. Compare COL on what 100k in NYC would be in other cities. Example:

Blacks in NY making over 100k:
"" in ATL making over 75k:
"" in CLT making over 74k:
"" in DAL making over 75k:
"" in HOU making over 70k:
"" in miami making over 86k:
"" in Chi making over 88k:
"" in DC making over 113k:
"" in LA over 106k:
"" in SF over 135k:

If you consider that, places with a lower cost of living would have higher raw numbers and percentage and vice versa for places with higher col(except nyc which was used for comparison)

Souce: bankrate COL calculator

Old 11-29-2015, 06:11 AM

640 posts, read 1,296,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
To push this conversation in a different direction...I had a post earlier laying out some factors I thought would be useful in adding some objectivity to the discussion. I proposed a formula that would weigh different factors and result in a composite score that would reflect how much of a "Black mecca" these cities are.

Economic:
Adjusted Median Household Income
Number/Percentage of Black-Owned Firms (per Census data)
CEO/Senior Level Officials
Black Income to White Income Ratio

Political:
Black % of all locally elected and appointed officials

Sociocultural:
Creative Class Size/Percentage
Educational Attainment
Poverty Rate
Health Insurance Coverage
Crime Rate

My first question is what, if any, other factors should go into this?

My second question is how each of the three main categories (economic, political and sociocultural) should be weighed relative to one another?

My third question is how each of the factors within each category should be weighed to relative to one another?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
None of these are black meccas. Not even Atlanta and DC,,, yes I've spent a lot of time in both.... The true black mecca will be empowering. It would be a black city with Republican Ideologies... You can't have black mecca and liberal policies bc those same liberal policies hurt black people the most.

True Black MECCA REQUIREMENTS

- Low High School Drop Out Rate
- High percentage of blacks w/ a college degree (relative to top performing white cities, not black ones)
- High percentage of black owned businesses
- High percentage of consumers that patronize those black owned businesses
- Political Power and Control
- Entertainment (bars,clubs,etc for all ppl across all classes like you said)
- Low unemployment rate
- A city with black pride, black HBCUs, and tons of black culture
- Relatively low crime per 1000

^^Now like I said, Black Mecca will never exist. You have to change the mentality of our people. ATL is one of the most ratchet places I've ever been. DC is better, more professional and it's probably due to the federal government.

But our people need to take pride in self accountability versus govt accountability or white accountability. We are responsible for us. Until we get that, we will not have a true black mecca. Black mecca will have to be a black republican governed city. Not a democratic one. That's the main problem with DC, ATL, Detroit. That's why it's so easy to gentrify black areas.

Since there will never be a black mecca,,, we have to settle for places that are simply best for black people. And I believe places like Houston is the best. We are a large % of that city. It has it's black pride. And we are not the majority like ATL, DC, Detroit. Being the majority isn't bad but being the majority with an entitlement mentality that encourages us to hold everyone else but ourselves accountable is a nightmare. That creates the ratchetness you see in ATL. At least blacks in DC have government jobs that somewhat circumvents what would be complete ratchetness that is created from that kind of liberal mentality. What also circumvents that ratchitness type mentality is not being the majority. 3 out of 4 people in Houston will not be black and we have to assimilate to survive. We are a large enough % to be powerful and make our presence felt. 1 out of 4 people in Houston will be white. And 2 out of 4 will be Hispanic. Throw in an asian every now and then and you have something beautiful down in H-Town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
I don't think u measure success by raw numbers. % is always better. You could say NYC is more dangerous than Kansas City bc it has more murders but you actually have to look at the murder rate per 1000 residents.

Likewise, larger % of blacks doing better in one metro is better than a metro with a smaller % but higher raw numbers. In your case I'd also adjust for cost of living to get a more accurate picture. Compare COL on what 100k in NYC would be in other cities. Example:

Blacks in NY making over 100k:
"" in ATL making over 75k:
"" in CLT making over 74k:
"" in DAL making over 75k:
"" in HOU making over 70k:
"" in miami making over 86k:
"" in Chi making over 88k:
"" in DC making over 113k:
"" in LA over 106k:
"" in SF over 135k:

If you consider that, places with a lower cost of living would have higher raw numbers and percentage and vice versa for places with higher col(except nyc which was used for comparison)

Souce: bankrate COL calculator

These are all valid points the conversation never really decided a valid criteria to compare the cities with?

HERE THE CRITERIA I WOULD CHOOSE:

Take the Top 10 MSA Cities based on Population numbers

1. Median Household Income (COL Adjusted)
2. Percentage of Married Households
3. Percentage of Bachelor Degree or higher
4. Poverty Rate
5. Unemployment Rate
6. Percentage of black owned Businesses.
7. Crime Rate
8. Percentage of black elected officals
9. Health insurance coverage
10. Percentage of Creative Class Professionals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City