Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 07:12 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,792,548 times

Advertisements

Are you excited in ATL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 07:25 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,914,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Are you excited in ATL?
My 11 year rain in Atlanta ended in 2013 I now reside in Brooklyn. Atlanta still has a place in my heart as I enjoyed every year I was there. I moved because my partner got offered an amazing job in NY. If it was my choice I would still be in Atlanta. I'm currently enjoying the big city life if NY

Old 02-26-2016, 12:13 PM

641 posts, read 802,805 times
Quote:
I'm so excited to live here til it's a shame.

Same here. Dallas and Houston are great, exciting cities. Austin is also exciting but has less blacks. I've been to a lot of places. The two big metros in tx are top tier places to call home. I wouldn't refer to them as party cities. In fact, the only true party cities are miami, no, las vegas.

That's not saying other cities are great to throw parties but those three are creme of the crop for partying. Like someone earlier stated, once you hit 25yo, you'd be satisfied with entertainment via clubs, restaurants, lounges in pretty much every mid size to large city.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:51 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,792,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Same here. Dallas and Houston are great, exciting cities. Austin is also exciting but has less blacks. I've been to a lot of places. The two big metros in tx are top tier places to call home. I wouldn't refer to them as party cities. In fact, the only true party cities are miami, no, las vegas.

That's not saying other cities are great to throw parties but those three are creme of the crop for partying. Like someone earlier stated, once you hit 25yo, you'd be satisfied with entertainment via clubs, restaurants, lounges in pretty much every mid size to large city.
IDK about Dallas, but down here, a new black club/bar/lounge opens every other few weeks or an establishment venue has black nights.

Houston's black nightlife is growing very rapidly.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:03 PM

641 posts, read 802,805 times
Quote:
IDK about Dallas, but down here, a new black club/bar/lounge opens every other few weeks or an establishment venue has black nights.

Houston's black nightlife is growing very rapidly.

One negative I'd say about Dallas is this:

SW Dallas County could be something of a true mecca:

It has some amazing breathtaking homes owned by blacks. The area is full of black professionals who hold prestigious positions throughout the metro. Tons of black businesses (In fact, half of the ones in Desoto are black owned).

The problem with the area is that it consist of bedroom communities. People pretty much just sleep there. Not many black events (no big ones I know of). No attractive black venues and entertainment spots. I think if people took pride in the community it would be a true mecca. It should be a place to live, play and work. It's the closest thing to PG County in the entire state of TX.

Here's a video I found on the area. This aired last year on the local news about the area.

https://youtu.be/xt_SAhG4wJg?t=27s

Oh, I forgot to mention the private school it mentions in the video. It's Cantebury Episcopal. It's a predominately black private school. It ranks better than most private schools in the most prestigious white suburbs of the metro. Tuition for the pvt school is $1200/month

Old 03-01-2016, 12:27 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
What about schools in these areas? For instance, I just found out that this 97% Black, all male school in Albany NY had a graduation rate of 86% in 2015: Green Tech High - Charter School in Albany, NY

GREEN TECH HIGH CHARTER SCHOOL | NYSED Data Site

So, what are some similar schools(public, private, charter, etc) in the areas mentioned or other areas?

Old 03-01-2016, 01:09 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about schools in these areas? For instance, I just found out that this 97% Black, all male school in Albany NY had a graduation rate of 86% in 2015: Green Tech High - Charter School in Albany, NY

GREEN TECH HIGH CHARTER SCHOOL | NYSED Data Site

So, what are some similar schools(public, private, charter, etc) in the areas mentioned or other areas?
This school has gotten a lot of positive press lately: Ron Clark academy in Atlanta sets success and confidence for the future - CBS News

I've also heard much about this school in years past: Chicago's Urban Prep Does it Again: 100 Percent College Acceptance - The Root

Old 03-01-2016, 01:57 PM

135 posts, read 145,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, that's what I mean. Though Buttons looks more like Jasper's in PG County.

Jaspers - In the Spirit of Fun! - Largo, MD

Now that I think about it, I don't think DC has a premiere Black-owned restaurant any longer ("premiere" does not include greasy spoons like the Florida Avenue Grill). B. Smith's in Union Station is gone. Art & Soul would fit the Bill only it's not Black-owned.

I guess Cecil would be NYC's premiere Black-owned restaurant nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4VTELvn-jU
o

That's definitely not true DC has plenty of Black owned soul food resturants...

Carolina Kitchen, Oohh's and AAhh's and Georgia Brown's are here and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...1&rlfi=hd:;si:

Old 03-01-2016, 03:43 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,130 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth2power202 View Post
o

Carolina Kitchen, Oohh's and AAhh's and Georgia Brown's are here and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Yes plenty:

Black Owned Bars and Restaurants in Washington D.C.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:55 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth2power202 View Post
o

Carolina Kitchen and Oohs and Aaahs are not "premiere" restaurants. And Georgia Brown's isn't Black-owned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City