Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 02:25 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
You're from Memphis?
No, but it's one of my adopted homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 02:31 PM

641 posts, read 802,469 times
Quote:
You're married! LOL.

Y'all have a lot more whites though.

True. And dont get me started on some of the Hispanics up here in those areas who think of themselves as caucasians and better than blacks. Smh

Old 12-02-2015, 02:31 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
As the most diverse major city in the country, Houston does not simply have a "splash" of diversity. Come now, you're selling your own city short.

It's undeniable that Houston is a mecca for diversity, and without some other characteristics in place, it's hard to call it a Black mecca although it's obviously a Black attracting a lot of Blacks who are doing well.
Houston, just like Atlanta and Birmingham, was a black and white city; although Houston is very diverse, the diversity is more recent. Houston's black community (except for the white community) has way more influences and is deeply rooted into Houston's culture, history, and cityscape than the Latinos, Asians, and other races that make this city so diverse are.

I said it right.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Southerbboy,

What's Htown's answer for Lake Ridge, Cedar Hill south of Dallas. It's a large residential area of homes that are 250k - 2 million. Predominately black. Desoto has neighborhoods like that too. Where do I go in Houston to see that?

Is it sienna plantation? Mo City?

Missouri City, parts of Houston, Fresno, West Pearland

Old 12-02-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
No, but it's one of my adopted homes.
What do you think is Houston's answer to U Street?

Old 12-02-2015, 02:36 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,473,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
True. And dont get me started on some of the Hispanics up here in those areas who think of themselves as caucasians and better than blacks. Smh
Latinos are not a race thats the thing, my gf is technically white even thou she is mixed, she is cuban and columbian. Island Latinos like Cubans, Puerto Ricans, South Americans and Mexicans have a totally different culture.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:51 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Houston, just like Atlanta and Birmingham, was a black and white city; although Houston is very diverse, the diversity is more recent. Houston's black community (except for the white community) has way more influences and is deeply rooted into Houston's culture, history, and cityscape than the Latinos, Asians, and other races that make this city so diverse are.

I said it right.
Brookings recently came out with a study about America's immigrant gateways wherein Houston was categorized as a post-WWII gateway along with the likes of DC, Miami, and LA. That's about a good 2-3 generations now where diversity has significantly influenced Houston (by contrast, Atlanta is categorized as a major-emerging gateway, with immigration in substantial numbers being a much more recent phenomenon, about 3-4 decades later than Houston). Add to that Houston's impressive growth among several different racial/ethnic groups over the past 2-3 decades, and it's clear that by any measure, Houston is a mecca of diversity and does not simply have a "splash." This is the first time I've ever a Houstonian attempt to minimize the city's diversity--often touted as a major strength, and rightfully so--in favor of a characterization as a "Chocolate City."

Plus didn't you just agree with Gunion that Houston is too racially progressive to try and claim the "Black mecca" label? I thought it was close-minded, LOL.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:04 PM

641 posts, read 802,469 times
Speaking of Los Angeles. Which just happens to be one of my favorite places to visit in the country. Why is it never mentioned as a blk mecca or utopia on C-D. There's over a million blacks there even though we make up a mere 7%

Old 12-02-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Brookings recently came out with a study about America's immigrant gateways wherein Houston was categorized as a post-WWII gateway along with the likes of DC, Miami, and LA. That's about a good 2-3 generations now where diversity has significantly influenced Houston (by contrast, Atlanta is categorized as a major-emerging gateway, with immigration in substantial numbers being a much more recent phenomenon, about 3-4 decades later than Houston). Add to that Houston's impressive growth among several different racial/ethnic groups over the past 2-3 decades, and it's clear that by any measure, Houston is a mecca of diversity and does not simply have a "splash." This is the first time I've ever a Houstonian attempt to minimize the city's diversity--often touted as a major strength, and rightfully so--in favor of a characterization as a "Chocolate City."

Plus didn't you just agree with Gunion that Houston is too racially progressive to try and claim the "Black mecca" label? I thought it was close-minded, LOL.
He was talking about a city/metro claiming THE number one title or claiming to be and advertising itself as a THE black mecca of America. However, this is a thread about what cities/metros can be considered black meccas based on certain criteria (although the criteria is very biased towards Atlanta).

A splash doesn't necessarily have to mean "small."

Recent to me includes the late 80's and early 90's, a timeframe when Houston started to become more diverse.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:17 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
He was talking about a city/metro claiming THE number one title or claiming to be and advertising itself as a THE black mecca of America. However, this is a thread about what cities/metros can be considered black meccas based on certain criteria (although the criteria is very biased towards Atlanta).
Nope; here are his exact words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
The more and more I think about it, I think [Houston] should be removed from consideration altogether. Leave the Black Mecca title for those communities still preoccupied with Afrocentrism..
Quote:
A splash doesn't necessarily have to mean "small."
Typically it does and it definitely doesn't mean big, that's for sure. And Houston is majorly diverse.

Quote:
Recent to me includes the late 80's and early 90's, a timeframe when Houston started to become more diverse.
Houston started to become an immigrant gateway in the post-war era, around the 50's/60's. Atlanta and other emerging gateways started in the 80's/90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City