Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 12:37 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times

Advertisements

i think its a myth that all black people like soul food. most of my black domincan friends dont really eat soul food like that (that seems to be a down south/new york (and i assume la) phenomenon).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 12:42 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i think its a myth that all black people like soul food. most of my domincan friends dont really eat soul food like that (that seems to be a down south/new york (and i assume la) phenomenon).

i mean...yes, there are black people who do not like soul food. Not sure where though at least for African Americans.

But of course if your from a different region your gonna like certain things more. No matter what color you are. Asian and White CA people love mexican food/tacos too, are they acting mexican? The whole notion is pretty illogical. I'm not sure what liking a particular dish more than another says anything about a person besides taste.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:46 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i think its a myth that all black people like soul food. most of my black domincan friends dont really eat soul food like that (that seems to be a down south/new york (and i assume la) phenomenon).
Do your Black Dominican friends even claim their Blackness? That's a whole 'nother issue altogether. Plus they are of another culture so that makes a difference. Soul food is an American Black phenomenon; it's not limited to specific cities or regions. Wherever you have a critical mass of (American-born) Black people, you can find a soul food restaurant.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:03 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
What would you think of an Asian that would rather eat pigfeet instead of sushi?

What would you think of a Mexican that would rather eat bagels instead of tacos?
I guess you didn't know that Pigs Feet are a staple of Filipino (Paksiw na Pata (Pig's Feet Stew) Recipe - Allrecipes.com) and Korean Cuisine (Jokbal (Korean Boiled Pig Trotters)). Or that Sushi is solely a Japanese dish. So obviously, an Asian eating pigs feet would be them embracing tradition.

And if a Mexican wants to eat a Bagel, so what? Why should I care and why is it any of my business?

Your posts sound as if you have very limited exposure to life outside of the South and how you think certain people should act and think, or eat. One thing I DON'T miss about living down that way is how nosy people were always concerned with trivial matters about what other people did in their lives and judging their entire personality like this.

I'm Black and when I had Thanksgiving at my Aunt and Uncle's house in Carson (suburb of LA) last year, we had traditional dishes such as Turkey, Dressing, Collard Greens, etc. I don't recall my Black relatives there begging for tacos during that time. They served Tamales for Christmas Eve (but that's a Southern California thing, because a LOT of people eat tamales on Christmas Eve regardless of their race), but Christmas Dinner the next day was relatively traditional fare like turkey and dressing. My relatives in the Inland Empire in San Bernardino/Fontana served similar fare for the holidays too. And when I went to a 4th of July BBQ, my relatives served ribs and chicken wings. Hot Links seem to be a Black Cali tradition because I didn't really see them down south as much when I lived in Atlanta or up here in DC where I live now...

Basically, you have no idea of what you're talking about when it comes to this.

I no longer live in Southern California, and while I somewhat agree with some of the things you said, the food part is wildly inaccurate. The area has a strong Mexican heritage, so of course a lot of Blacks there would eat their foods, but there is soul food there if you want to find it and there are people there who enjoy it. White people down South eat very similar dishes to Black people down there too, so does that make them less "White"?

Last edited by biscuit_head; 01-15-2016 at 01:42 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 01:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I guess you didn't know that Pigs Feet are a staple of Filipino (Paksiw na Pata (Pig's Feet Stew) Recipe - Allrecipes.com) and Korean Cuisine (Jokbal (Korean Boiled Pig Trotters)). Or that Sushi is solely a Japanese dish.

And if a Mexican wants to eat a Bagel, so what? Why should I care and why is it any of my business?

Your posts sound as if you have very limited exposure to life outside of the South and how you think certain people should act and think, or eat. One thing I DON'T miss about living down that way is how nosy people were always concerned with trivial matters about what other people did in their lives and judging them like this.

When I had Thanksgiving at my Aunt and Uncle's house in Carson (suburb of LA) last year, we had traditional dishes such as Turkey, Dressing, Collard Greens, etc. I don't recall my black relatives begging for tacos during that time. They served Tamales for Christmas EVE (but that's a Southern California thing), but Christmas Dinner was relatively traditional fare as well. My relatives in the Inland Empire in San Bernardino/Fontana served similar fare. And I went to a 4th of July BBQ where they served ribs and chicken wings. Hot Links seem to be a Black Cali tradition because I didn't really see them down south as much when I lived in Atlanta or up here in DC where I live now...

Basically, you have no idea of what you're talking about when it comes to this.

I no longer live in Southern California, and while I somewhat agree with some of the things you said, the food part is wildly inaccurate. The area has a strong Mexican heritage, so of course a lot of Blacks there would eat their foods, but there is soul food there if you want to find it and there are people there who enjoy it. White people down South eat very similar dishes to Black people down there too, so does that make them less "White"?
My entire family is born and raised in Georgia and now lives between Texas and North Carolina. When we gathered at my mom's house in Atlanta for Christmas Dinner this year we had a Mexican buffet. We're all Scots-Irish and as lily white as they come.

Stereotypes are stupid. To each his own.
Attached Thumbnails
Criteria to be considered "Black Mecca"-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Newsboy; 01-15-2016 at 01:30 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 02:08 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,750,745 times
I guess im right then since I wrote a 100 word reply and people only commented on one small portion of it

Old 01-15-2016, 02:11 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I guess im right then since I wrote a 100 word reply and people only commented on one small portion of it
Well that part was so stupid that it kind of distracted everybody from the rest of your reply.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:15 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Well that part was so stupid that it kind of distracted everybody from the rest of your reply.
^^ This

Old 01-15-2016, 02:42 PM

910 posts, read 1,083,061 times
It's as though people are picking on the blacks in Cali simply for the fact they don't get offended by childish racist remarks or not eating enough soul food and embracing other cultures. What sense does that make? Does "keeping it real" mean being insular and insecure? It's called living a healthy lifestyle. That's one of the reasons they have one of the lowest obesity rates among black people in the entire country, because they're not eating greasy chicken and corn bread every other night.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:56 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Weird conversation the last few pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City