Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 12:37 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw a stat that interracial marriage in the west for blacks is like 37% while in the South, it's like 12%. I'm not saying it's bad, but you kind of get an idea of how things are going there for the black community.

And if L.A. is so great for blacks, why isn't there a huge inflow of blacks from other regions like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Charlotte get? Hell, I'm a child of parents who moved away from the LA area in the last 20 years.
There isa reason why blacks are leaving California.

The strong sense of black pride and community that once existed in California is quickly dying.

Houston is headed that way too. If it gets anymore ignorant, I'm heading east. Possibly DMV area.

I don't want to live in a place where my blackness is ignored or put on the backburner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 12:40 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
There isa reason why blacks are leaving California.

The strong sense of black pride and community that once existed in California is quickly dying.

Houston is headed that way too. If it gets anymore ignorant, I'm heading east. Possibly DMV area.

I don't want to live in a place where my blackness is ignored or put on the backburner.

smh... Houston is a great place for blacks too.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
smh... Houston is a great place for blacks too.
Never said it wasn't, but it's slowly becoming California. Atlanta is probably the only city I can say is doing it right in terms of diversifying but empowering black people.

I know blacks in the DMV are being pushed away from the core. Living in suburban wastelands with no economic power, public transportation nor culture is not what I consider to be an ideal place for a black person.

Integration and progressiveness fails when blacks aren't benefiting from it. Moving into our neighborhoods and destroying our communities while we're pushed out to some far flung suburb only to revert back to being poverty stricken and living in crime ridden areas.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Never said it wasn't, but it's slowly becoming California. Atlanta is probably the only city I can say is doing it right in terms of diversifying but empowering black people.

I know blacks in the DMV are being pushed away from the core. Living in suburban wastelands with no economic power, public transportation nor culture is not what I consider to be an ideal place for a black person.

Integration and progressiveness fails when blacks aren't benefiting from it. Moving into our neighborhoods and destroying our communities while we're pushed out to some far flung suburb only to revert back to being poverty stricken and living in crime ridden areas.

You make it sound like not even in the DMV you are safe if you are black--only ATL--that may be true or not depending how you think. Lets just agree to disagree.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
You make it sound like not even in the DMV you are safe if you are black--only ATL--that may be true or not depending how you think. Lets just agree to disagree.
It's not so much about safety as it is prosperity.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:00 AM

Quote:
It's not so much about safety as it is prosperity.
I think DMV posters would have a problem with that assessment after the many pages devoted on this topic between like 3 cities which includes the DMV.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:21 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
your looking at it the wrong way. How large was the growth in general of LA compared to ATL. LA grew much more substantially compared to ATL with the influx of Hispanic and Asian residences.

I do not want to compare ATL blacks to LA blacks because obviously ATL is a great place for blacks. But OPs original statement is that you cannot advise any black person to live in CA outside of the Bay is ridiculous.

This is not about ATL(or etc.) or the growth of black population. This is about educational attainment and black success which you cannot deny. Your parents moving from LA does not change that fact. There are numerous stats on this thread that LA has a very large number of professional blacks. More than places like Houston, Dallas, Philadelphia, Miami, and even Chicago in some categories.
L.A. did not grow substantially more than Atlanta. Atlanta's MSA grewer faster than L.A.s in raw numbers from 2013-2014 and even more than percentage since Atlanta's metro is way smaller.

Source: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...es-region.html

04. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 88,891
05. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 86,371

That trend will likely continue as Atlanta's MSA growth increased substantially in the last year. I predict Atlanta will see over 100k growth from 2014 to 2015 and 115k from 2015-2016.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
L.A. did not grow substantially more than Atlanta. Atlanta's MSA grewer faster than L.A.s in raw numbers from 2013-2014 and even more than percentage since Atlanta's metro is way smaller.

Source: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...es-region.html

04. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 88,891
05. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 86,371

That trend will likely continue as Atlanta's MSA growth increased substantially in the last year. I predict Atlanta will see over 100k growth from 2014 to 2015 and 115k from 2015-2016.
oh wow one year. try 1990-2010.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:32 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Quote:
Lots of blacks in California don't stand up for blackness and live in some fantasy delusional world where color doesn't exist and racism is dead.

A white can come up to them and call them porch monkey to their face and they'll laugh it off and be like "You're hilarious bruh"

What's going on California is what happens when yopu become too progressive. No one cares about anything except eating grass and free bleeding.
I dont want to judge Cali blacks as a whole but many of the posts some of you are making resonates with me. A woman I know who lived in San Diego for a few years told me black guys would look right pass black women out there.

It's very interesting you brought up the bolded.

I have a younger relative in college here in Georgia who seems to actually embrace and LOVE being the "black friend." He even flew out to Cali for the Holidays to be with his "long distance internet relationship" Mexican girlfriend that he barely knows. It was just yesterday another relative brought him up in conversation and told me when he was telling him about his trip, he brought up something one of his "girlfriend's" relatives said about him being black and he laughed it off as a joke but nobody he was telling his story to thought it was funny at all. I was just saying to my other relative, PLEASE don't tell me this dude was out there listening to people saying all sorts of racist things about blacks, but then turn around and say, "oh, but not you though. You're different."

He loved it and wants to move out there after he graduates. It's sounding just right for a guy like him

Old 01-15-2016, 05:35 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
I pretty much agree with everything Blkgiraffe has posted over the last few pages.

My opionion is blacks in the U.S. have always been forced to assimilate into the culture (of our captors). We were forced to assimilate following emancipation and desegregation. Assimilation must not be confused with integration. Other cultures integrate quite well here, as they are able to mix their cultural traits into American society while still maintaining the strong cultural bonds and pride of their own. Blacks, OTOH, assimilate quite well. We are so attuned to it as to immerse ourselves so deeply into other cultures we'll abandon our own with little hesitation. Even our own physical identity (weaves, colored contacts, skin brighteners). Its disturbing but brings to light how effective and long lasting the legacy of psychological terror on blacks (since slavery) in the U.S. has been. In American society when large numbers of blacks congregate it's almost always been viewed as a negative. Sad thing is, we as blacks have drank America's racist kool-aide for soo long we beleive it ourselves. Whether that be majority black neighborhoods, schools, events, cities etc..

Last edited by First24; 01-15-2016 at 05:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City